Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2010-05-16, 7:26pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Default Glass Stock 2010 DEMO info thread

I'm starting a new one for this year.
The old thread can be found at
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ass+stock+demo

Greetings!
I just wanted to start this thread for all those people going
to Glass Stock for the first time. If you are anything like all of
us who have been there before you, you are probably scared
out of your wits about doing the dreaded "Demo!!!!".

That's what this thread is about. For newbies to ask questions,
for old farts like us to tell you what we did and how it went,
and to answer your questions.

Here is the info straight from the acceptance letter:

Quote:
We REQUIRE that you share something glass related with the
group as a demonstration. We request that it take at least 20
minutes…up to an hour or so is fine too. EVERYONE will do
some type of demo, it may be torching, fusing (bring
examples of each stage with a finished one), hot

shop, faceting, wire-wrapping or anything glass related. These
demo pieces will be put in a draw with every attendee getting
another demo from someone else at the event.

This is very cool and we all love what we get. If you are new
to glass and feel your demo might not be “enough” for the
draw…you may add to the demo bead some other beads,
findings, etc. In this way, most new lampworkers feel better
about winning a “known name” demo bead. Some demos will
be goblets, fused plates, beads, marbles, finished jewelry, you
never know what you will win!! You will be emailed appx 30
days before event by GS staff for info on your demo. We will
schedule these so attendees can be prepared to demo in
time. YOU will be providing supplies for your own demo. Bring
just enough supplies to complete your own demo unless you
want to share, mail supplies ahead if you want to!
Questions? Fears? Concerns? Want to tell us what your demo
will be and get feedback on it?

Go right ahead.....

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-16, 7:27pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I will tell you my experience.

First year, I demoed how to make a byzantium chain mail bracelet.
It took about an hour, and I had about 6 people watching me.
Since it was after dinner, we were all pretty mellow and
while it wasn't perfect, it went pretty well. It wasn't a class,
just showing them the basics. We had a great time.

Second year I demoed how to make a sculptural rose.
While my demo was absolutely perfect, I was scheduled
at the same time one of the BIG artists were doing their demo.
So I had what could amount to a "pity crowd" (eg: my buddy
Patty ).

Oh, and I burned the crap out of my finger picking up the wrong end of
the rod during my demo.

Anyone else want to share?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-16, 9:16pm

OK, Last year was my first year and I did what I called boro Purple Punk, which was essentially a purple goddess, basic/ simple but made out of a pretty purple glass and she had red spiky hair. Everyone was supposed to able to see the 5 or 6 demos going on at the same time but it was taking so long that they started the boro in another room while most people were still doing the soft glass,and big name boro artists were doing theirs while I did mine, so it was pretty non-stress for me--not much attention to what I was doing. I also took a finished purple punk to sit in front of me to remind me of what I was doing. The one I brought with me looked better than the one I made at GS so I traded them out before they were distributed. May be against the "rules" but I felt better about someone getting that one vs my demo.
And I got Deb Crowley's demo fish!!! But everyone is excited at the drawing of names and there will be a few pieces that everyone hopes they get, but still happy with whatever is received.
Old 2010-05-16, 11:40pm
Critter Mom

Last year was my first year too. I was one of the few COE 90 users to demo and we were near the end, so I had seen quite a few demos before mine came up. I figured since there was so much going on (boro and soft glass demos) and there weren't very many of us COE 90 users, there wouldn't be much of an audience...till Deb Crowley sat down to make a fish. I knew I was gonna shake, so I did, but it wasn't bad until someone with a camera got right in front of me to get a shot of my bunny head just as I was finishing the long, thin ears. I was so glad it was over, and at the same time so glad I did it. If I were to go this year (finances may prevent it) I think I'd be much more relaxed for the demo.

Old 2010-05-17, 11:17am

Thanks for the Thread... I will have tons of questions as soon as I get off the oxygen (after reading the demo notice).
Old 2010-05-17, 7:02pm

Okay, here goes... first year... major figits.... soft glass was taking forever and then someone announced that the boro ones would begin. Chuck and I quickly went to the table did our demos with nobody watching .... lol.... oh well....

Second year... boro table again... doing my "snippet" heart.... lots of boro guys and they all wanted to know why I did one side at a time... duh... that's the way Brent did it and so that's the way I do it.... Guys demo'd a heart doing both sides right after me.... so no stress...

This year.... don't know my demo yet... but I know one thing for sure ~ I might get nervous, again, but everyone is so wonderful and so sharing it doesn't matter if you just pull stringers for your demo.... everyone will love it!

Make it easy on yourself ~ If you need stringer, murrini or whatever extra to do your demo ~ do it at home and bring it with you. Demo will go much smoother if you know that all the parts are already premade!

Can't wait to see you all and to see what you demo! I learn so much from everyone!

Old 2010-05-17, 7:06pm

BTW, Karen burned the crap out of her finger just to get some attention since one of the BIG artists was demo'ing at at the same time

Luv's ya Karen!

Old 2010-05-17, 7:35pm
Master Procrastinator

Leslie, you're so funny! Can't wait to see you & everyone else again!

Last year was my 1st year. I lucked out BIG TIME & wound up sharing a house with an amazing group of ladies. Though complete strangers ahead of time, we soon became close friends. We jelled from the beginning & it really added to the experience. We'd come back to the house at the end of the day bubbling with excitement at all we learned, like the night after Deb's fish class. We were screaming with excitement like a bunch of little girls at having learned how to make fish like her. Well, not LIKE her....that's impossible! Her fish are amazing! I know cause I bought one! hehe!

Choose something you feel really comfortable with, even if it's pulling stringers, etc. I made a star bead for my demo. Lucky for me, my friend Lisa was demoing her goofy mouth bead at the same time so all eyes were on her......SHHHH! Don't tell her or she'll get nervous all over again. I just kept my eyes down & prayed that no one was watching.

Not sure what I'll demo this year yet. I'm sure I'll be nervous again no matter what it is, but I'll know I'm in the company of a great bunch of people that are very supportive & it'll be over in a flash & then the fun begins!!!

Old 2010-05-18, 2:50am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Hey, I heard that, Lea!

Yeah, that was my first time too. I think we worry about every little thing that could go wrong, but once you sit down, it's not all that bad. Of course, none of the things I thought would go wrong did. Instead, I was on an unfamiliar torch and turned the flame off in the middle of it. Luckily, the person next to me let me hang out in the back of their flame until Kipster came to my rescue and re-lit the torch

Really, there is so much going on, you really don't notice if folks are watching you or the next guy.

Don't worry. It ain't no thang!!!

Old 2010-05-18, 4:24am

My first year I demo's copper enamel beadmaking. I brought a can of propane and my set up of cool metal hands that hold my propane bottle. I thought i would be with the rest of the soft glass folks but NO Deb puts me in with Boro boys...whoa talk about being nervous. But having demo'd many times at the festivals i go to, I made it through. Not sure how copper enameling goes with Boro Boys but I felt special. LOL. You all will have a great time. If you need a shoulder to support you look me up. I will be the one with the purple hair....vanity
Old 2010-05-19, 10:35am

Thank you for doing this thread up and a link to last years thread. I was am still nervous about the demo but feel better reading all the comments from last year. This is my first year and I have only been torching for just over a year, so excited to be part of this amazing group of people ! Last years thread was great providing information on the auctions and donation. Very excited to meet everyone and sounds like it will be an awesome time !
But can someone fill me in with the hat event ?

Thanks !

Penny
Old 2010-05-19, 11:21am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakedpeach View Post
Thank you for doing this thread up and a link to last years thread. I was am still nervous about the demo but feel better reading all the comments from last year. This is my first year and I have only been torching for just over a year, so excited to be part of this amazing group of people ! Last years thread was great providing information on the auctions and donation. Very excited to meet everyone and sounds like it will be an awesome time !
But can someone fill me in with the hat event ?

Thanks !

Penny
Well, just like pretty much all the other things here, it ain't
rocket science. Wear a silly hat. Better yet, one you made
yourself. Even better yet, one with a lampwork theme.

People wear everything from a simple cap with beads sewn
on to the most ridiculous creations you can imagine. I've seen
a few that were made entirely of glass. Wicked.

So don't sweat it. Just do it if you want, and if you don't then
you can still appreciate the ones that other people go all
out on.

Oh - and as an added incentive, there are some rockin' prizes
if you win. I can't remember the exact stuff, but I recall many
winners carrying home ARMLOADS of top quality donated
glass and other things.

Old 2010-05-19, 11:24am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Woman View Post
BTW, Karen burned the crap out of her finger just to get some attention since one of the BIG artists was demo'ing at at the same time

Luv's ya Karen!
Okay, I'll spill the beads...er...beans.

I was demoing how to make a simple rose.

At the SAME time, sitting across the room, Kimberly Affleck
was demoing how to make a SEAHORSE BEAD. Even I was
looking over my OWN shoulder to watch her (hence,
miss dumbass here burning her own finger ).

So yeah, I had ONE person watching me (Patty, my partner
in crime and my sister from another mister) and even SHE
couldn't keep her eyes on me. Eventually, I think I quickly
finished it off and ran over to watch Kim rock the torch .

So much for my first demo .

Old 2010-05-19, 11:34am
Type ZZZ personality

My first year I chose to use 96 glass and I was about the only one, so I was almost last. By that time most people were bored of the demos so maybe 1 or 2 people watched me. I was happy about that! By the next year, I wasn't so nervous so it didn't matter!

And Karen, I WAS watching you! With the eyes in the back of my head! Yeah, right, that's it!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2010-05-19, 6:02pm
Angel's Mom

I was probably the newbie-est person there, and luckily I got scheduled at the end when there were some rockin boro demos going on and most everyone scrammed to the other room. Whew! I still did my demo of a "sparkly bead" and it was no sweat. Really, don't worry about it. There are 4-5 demos going on at once, so I promise, not everyone will be watching you.
Old 2010-05-24, 8:57pm

Ok I wasn't really nervous before but NOW!!!! I will warn you all, I am going to demo the lizard bead that I have been doing for years it is a staple bead that nobody will let me stop making, it is fast, easy, and really a no brainer. So yes.... I am taking the easy road for my first year demo at glass stock. There is a good chance that I might change my mind and do an easy bumble bee murinni. The hat though has me perplexed.
Looking forward to the big event!!!
Jodie

Worlds in miniature a passion for murrini - Jodie McDougall
Old 2010-05-26, 2:50pm
Master Procrastinator

A LIZARD bead & you're nervous?? If you can do that, it's going to be a breeze for you! Nothing to worry about!

As for the hat, 1st of all, it's optional so don't get yourself crazy. If you want to do it though, just make up some silly hat decorated with beads in some way. It's really just for laughs.

Old 2010-05-29, 10:03am
Wooohooo,GS!

Jodie, good for you! I always do a fish, I am thinking a shell this year although it means I don't get to go first and get it over with ;(
Yes, nervous after 20 years torching, lol!
I think I will do shells as an evening demo and stick with the foil fish first thing...be comfortable with what you demo.

Maybe we can talk you into a cane/murrine demo one evening Jodie?

The hats are a blast, I love seeing all the different ones, plus there is a nice prize every year for it and the PJs!

deb

Old 2010-06-04, 10:50pm

(I am sitting quietly in the corner sucking my thumb, rocking back & forth)

Michelle
Old 2010-06-04, 11:31pm
I'm meeeeelting

LOL. Take your thumb out of your mouth. You'll be surprised at just how non-scary the demos are. You don't even have to talk if you don't want to. Just sit down, make something and maybe answer a couple of questions. People are trying to watch so many things at once that they won't really all be focusing on you.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-06-05, 8:12am

I was really surprised that most people didn't say much during their demo - then I didn't feel like I had to say much. I was nervous at first but once you start, just concentrate on whatever you're making and you won't even realize who is (or isn't - BG) watching.

Melody

Old 2010-06-05, 9:34am

Thank you. Talking isn't the problem. I talk a bit too much, especially when I am nervous. I just need a bit more courage. I love to melt glass but feel a bit insecure about my abilities.
I will do my best because I am around friends that I haven't met yet.

Michelle
Old 2010-06-05, 9:39am
I'm meeeeelting

No one will be critiquing you. The whole idea of the demo is to get you more comfortable at working in front of people.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2010-06-05, 11:50am

Thank you Felicia.
"Deep breath". Must remember to breathe. I am just so excited to go!

Michelle
Old 2010-06-05, 12:03pm

I am more worried about being a big dork not so much the glass demo. So if I have a giant booger hanging on my nose somebody please tell me.

Michelle
Old 2010-06-05, 12:05pm
I'm meeeeelting

I can't help but be a dork, so you'll be in good company.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2010-06-05, 1:14pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse6 View Post
Thank you. Talking isn't the problem. I talk a bit too much, especially when I am nervous. I just need a bit more courage. I love to melt glass but feel a bit insecure about my abilities.
I will do my best because I am around friends that I haven't met yet.
If ANYONE needs courage, company or anything like that during your demo,
look for me. Tall redhead, most likely surrounded by adoring
handsome men ( - hey, I can hope).
Drag me over to your table and I will sit with you and give
support. I'd offer to hold your hand, but seeing as though
you'll be using both hands, I can maybe do knee to knee.

Old 2010-06-08, 6:19am
I like to melt things

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out -what- to demo, but I don't think I'm scared. Yet.

I guess I have about 50 days to make that decision! If by any chance people see something in my Etsy store that they would like to see me demo, they could let me know and help mitigate my anxiety? If not, I'll just wing it. lol

-
-
Old 2010-06-08, 9:27am
I'm meeeeelting

Melanie, you have some beautiful work. I, for one, would love to see you do one of your silver glass lentils. There's a lot of good stuff there - how to get the color, how to do the flowers or other decorative elements, how to encase without distorting, how to get the nice round lentil shape... Really, though, do what's comfortable for you. Overall, with the half-day classes, Glass Stock is a great opportunity to get out of your comfort zone and try new things, but starting that AFTER the demos is just fine.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2010-06-12, 7:46pm
I like to melt things

Thanks Felicia What a nice thing to say.

-
-