Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-06, 6:48pm

Question graphite mandrels

Hello and thank you to anybody willing to read this. I am fairly new to lampworking in fact i have only made a few beads and havent yet invested in a good torch or glass. My current set up includes my propane pipe soldering torch and clear glass from an old front porch light. My mandrels are pieces of pencil leads held with needle nose pliers. Aside from all of the other things i dont know my main question is how come everybody says glass wont stick to graphite when it will for me? Is there any reason for this? Am i just special? Does it have something to do with the glass i am using? Or even the torch? Any answers or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
Old 2013-09-06, 6:58pm
MacGalver

Hi Mike~

Can you remove the mandrels after the glass has cooled? If you can, then the glass isn't really sticking to the mandrel, more sticking to itself around the mandrel, if that makes sense to you.

I have to admit I admire your inventiveness in trying to find a way to work with glass despite not having either the materials or the tools ~ Go you! The good news is you're really going to love it once you get your hands on some real materials!

Jo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-06, 7:06pm
Loving learning

From what I'm reading pencil lead isn't pure graphite, so maybe it's sticking to the binder?
Old 2013-09-06, 7:08pm

Thanks jo and yes i have a special...umm tool i suppose you could call it (a nail sticking out of some wood) that i use to remove and discard the used pencil lead since i have found it only works once and well maybe the binder is what makes that smoke when i heat it

Last edited by mikestuart282; 2013-09-06 at 7:12pm.
Old 2013-09-06, 7:09pm
MacGalver

I was wondering about that too, Eileen... I'm pretty sure pencil lead is sythetic graphite mixed with clay (the amount of clay determines the "hardness" rating of the lead). Also, if the lead has grooves or anything like that, the glass could be grabbing the grooves even though it will release later.

Jo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-06, 7:10pm
MacGalver

Mike, it sounds like you're definitely burning off some sort of binder in the lead..... bead release is a form of clay, as well, so the concept is similar.

Jo

Old 2013-09-06, 7:20pm

Please ensure you have good ventilation. Not knowing 100% what is in the graphite is concerning. If you feel ill, lightheaded, dizzy... Get out into fresh air quickly.

Old 2013-09-06, 7:31pm
Glass-aholic

If you get glass hot enough it will stick, and then take a chunk of it with it when you take it off.... My graphite marver will never be the same lol. Most of us just don't get it hot enough to really stick.
Try getting some stainless welding rods, and some bead release. (You can even make your own)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-09-06, 7:45pm

Vetilation is not an issue i work in a large basement which is the 30 by 60 footprint of my house with 10 foot ceilings on top of that most of it has been converted to a wood shop and has an outdoor dust collector capable of pulling 700 cfm of new air into the shop so i think im okay for now and as to getting it to stick i dont know i just get the lead red hot and then do the same with the glass i have stainless welding rods but no bead release however i do have plaster of paris left over from my metal casting days so does anybody know a good recipie involving that?
Old 2013-09-06, 8:03pm

I use a mix of high temp kiln wash, diatonomus earth, a little graphite and water.

I think beads of glass by Cindy Jenkins has the proportions.
It may be available at the local library or inter library loan.

I would still be careful with the ventilation.
metal fumes are cumulative and other toxins can take quite a while to flush out of your system.
A lot of glass contains trace amounts of metal and its something you need to be aware of.

Old 2013-09-06, 8:12pm

Thanks for the warning ive recieved many from alot of people. when doing anything ventilation seems to be a concern and ive looked for some recipies and even have found out people use bisquick pancake batter and have had good results
Old 2013-09-08, 6:55am

Light a cigarette and hold it where your flame will be, this will tell you where the fumes are drawn to, if the smoke lingers or is drawn towards you, then rethink your ventilation.

Pencil lead is extruded and more porous than some graphite tools. I use the optical grade, it's much smoother, so the type of graphite is also a factor on grabbing and drag.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-09-08, 7:29am

Welding rods are cheap and you can get a large "sample" of good bead release from Robin at Fosterfire for $5 shipped. It will last you quite a while.

http://www.fosterfireglass.com/

Last edited by Robinj; 2013-09-08 at 7:33am.