Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-08-07, 7:20am
Gentleman of Leisure

I agree with JoeDeM and Paul once you have changed size to 8 inch, it should stay 8 inch all the way....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-08-07, 8:49am

I wouldn't bother with the pre-fab eyebrow cover on the outside. They're mostly just decorative, in my opinion, and given that you're working in an outbuilding, a needless restriction for what you're doing. You likely don't even have an eyebrow cover over the big exhaust fan in the wall that you've mentioned in other posts. As JoeDeM, Paul and Dale have recommended, stay 8" once you've converted to it.

You can use tin snips to cut out either a square or round piece of vent screen (to use as a bug/bird screen) that's some convenient size larger than the 8" pipe coming through your wall. If you cut your pipe flush with the outside wall, just screw the screen down to the wall over the pipe opening. If you decide to let the pipe stick out of the wall a bit, you can fold the edges of the screen over the end of the pipe and use a few metal screws to secure it to the pipe (drill small pilot holes, first, near the edge of the pipe so that you can get the screws started).

If you still feel you want an eyebrow cover, but can't find one in 8", I'd simply let the straight section of vent pipe stick out of the wall about 6"-8" or so. This will keep most of the elements out of the pipe when you're not torching.

Linda

Last edited by NMLinda; 2009-08-07 at 11:37am. Reason: duplicate wording
Old 2009-08-07, 3:50pm

ok. Stay with 8 inches all the way then.

Linda, that's a fine idea if i have to do it that way i will i guess. I think I'd feel better about it though, and i'm sure hubby would, if it's set up to where there is no possible way for rain or snow etc...to get into the vent and I think having some type of cover over it is the only way. I would like to find something that is just plain and not expensive though...
I"m off to look for an 8" eyebrow or any other type cover for the outside part.

Still not sure about how to do the inside part for the fresh air under bench? A hole straight thorugh with a floor register on inside and a cover of some type on outside part.....preferrably bigger than 8" is that right?

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley

Last edited by ShellyJo1969; 2009-08-07 at 3:55pm.
Old 2009-08-07, 4:10pm

Man I'm getting really frustrated trying to find what i want.

All i wanted to buy are two dampers or eyebrow vents to cover the outside part of both vent hood opening and the opening for my fresh air intake probably 10" each or a 8" one for the vent hood opening and a 10" one for the fresh air. Whatever is easiest. WHY oh why can't i find them!

Or just anything that will work on the outside of the building that keeps bugs, rodents, rain and snow OUT?

Old 2009-08-07, 5:25pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Just use a 90 degree turn outside turned down will keep the rain out..... Put bug screen (window screen material ) or 1/8 inch "hardware cloth" over opening maybe in cone shape so you have more surface area.... Or build a simple box on wall and end duct into box and have screen on box opening to keep bugs out....

You are making this way to complicated...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-08-07, 8:42pm

Cool, thanks. I"m all for simple. So I'll buy 3 pieces of 90 degree elbow and use that for through the wall and also to extend like an elephant trunk outside pointed down with the screening over it. That will keep out all the creepy crawlies and the weather and let my fresh air in also at the other hole.
thanks!
michele

Old 2009-08-13, 9:48am

FYI, check scratch and dent stores. I found an awesome 1220 CFM SS hood with fans. It has 2 8 inch exhausts and just cost 200.00. Was marked down from 2K because the front corner was crushed. The lights and fans worked fine.