Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-10-19, 12:33pm
Glass Addict

Oh good question! I live in West Central Minnesota and it can be -30 plus with wind chill during the heart of Winter. I was born and raised in LA and my husband in St. Thomas so that move thing sounds awfully appealing - I hate it here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-10-19, 12:54pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I'm goign to have to look into a propane heater, as a plug in heater *plus* my kiln blows a fuse every time.

Old 2007-10-20, 9:34am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky View Post
anyone have advice on a wood burner? That is our plan in the garage but still need to check it out here first. Sure is getting cold out though.

One problem with wood burner (unless its a sealed unit) would be back drafting flue and pulling smoke into studio....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-10-23, 8:42pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
I'm goign to have to look into a propane heater, as a plug in heater *plus* my kiln blows a fuse every time.
Be extra careful with the propane heater. Odds are it'll be on the floor, same place where propane would pool if you had a leak somewhere.
Old 2007-10-23, 9:21pm
Lampworker

the quartz heaters work well, but they take a lot of amps, which i am limited on in my space i am pushing the electricty to the limit with them.

grainger has a better selection of them

i hung them overhead but every one in the shop (i have 6 torches set up) says their legs and feet are still cold, so we are thinking of under bench heaters.

need to look into gas though.

hats, carhart jackets and pants, thermals, and insulated columbia boots.

in my new shop i put quartz heaters under the bench and they work very well there
Old 2007-10-24, 3:21am

If you can a woodstove works best! We used to freeze every winter and tried just about everything. Since we moved into our new studio and put in the stove we're able to work in short sleeve and long sleeve shirts everyday. There's nothing like that radiant heat!
-chris

Old 2007-10-24, 4:21am
Furball

I go to Florida in the winter and camp and work outside, plain & simple.
Old 2007-10-24, 4:37am
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rice View Post
If you can a woodstove works best! We used to freeze every winter and tried just about everything. Since we moved into our new studio and put in the stove we're able to work in short sleeve and long sleeve shirts everyday. There's nothing like that radiant heat!
-chris
We have a woodstove at my shop and I love it, except when my boss cranks it up because he's downstairs and he doesn't move too much so he gets cold before I do; i'm upstairs and I get all that DRY heat that kills me.
So make sure the unit is not too big for the space you want to heat, and always arrange for a humidifying device (we have a huge cast iron kettle that sits on top of the stove, that I keep refilling during the day, but it's not really enough).