LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-06-24, 10:42pm
Spoiled

Default Boro Pen from tubing???

I would like to try making a couple pens from boro tubing but I'm not sure which size tubing to use.

Anyone have any ideas? I found some info on what size to make the inside hole for the ink cartidge to fit in but that's it.

Thanks in advance.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-06-25, 2:22am
boro color bender

You can use any size you're comfortable with really. It's a matter of decorating it and then reducing it down to pen size.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2008-06-25 at 4:48am.
Old 2008-06-25, 7:22am
Spoiled

Thank you sir!

As always you're there to help us out.

Old 2008-06-25, 7:31am
Borovangelist

Try a search over on GLDG. I know there was a thread there including some info on what size drill bit happens to mimic a pen insert perfectly (for reaming the hole).

I think it was 5/32 but don't quote me on that.

|
|
Old 2008-06-25, 7:41am
Spoiled

Thanks menty, I had found that post and saw the info about what size to make the center but there wasn't anything about the tubing.

Brents suggestion that it's what ever I'm comfortable with makes sense.

Old 2008-06-25, 7:49am
boro color bender

Remember than when you pull it down, you'll decrease the diameter of the chamber inside. To leave enough room for the cartridge all the way up, it will have to be larger than you need it to be when you pull.

If it gets too small, you can always give it a little puff where you need to... these take practice, just like every thing else.

I can't wait to see what you make!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-25, 8:01am
Spoiled

Thanks for the tip.

Don't be expecting any pics any time soon. I'm guessing I'm going to need a lot of practice. But it should be a good learning experience.

Old 2008-06-25, 8:03am
boro color bender

I wish we lived closer... this would be fun to do and Matt could keep us busy with bottle critters.

Old 2008-06-25, 8:50am
Spoiled

HAHA! He does have a talent for that doesn't he?

I can pick you up at the airport anytime.

Old 2008-06-25, 9:10am
boro color bender

Might just take you up on that some time.

Old 2008-06-26, 8:22pm
Spoiled

Well, my first three attempts totally sucked. But I'm going to keep trying.

Brent, don't forget to call Matt back about the M-15's either. I need to get my cuda up and running.

Old 2008-06-27, 1:34am
boro color bender

I'm just waiting on a shipping quote. The order has already been placed. I'll get payment when ever.

Old 2008-06-27, 2:32am
boro color bender

Try to get the initial gather hot enough to do it in one pull... pull straight and keep turning it as you stretch it out.

I know I know... rub your belly and pat your head. You'll get it. Keep trying. It's really a great thing to practice hollow work with.

If you have any specific issues, just ask.

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2008-06-29 at 3:32pm.
Old 2008-06-27, 8:11pm
Spoiled

Thanks Brent!

I don't know where exactly my problem is starting from. When I get time to play more, maybe I can narrow it down.