Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-12-29, 3:21pm

Default Oxygen

Hi all, coming back from 5 years hiding and have big plans for 2019 in regards to glasswork.
In those 5 years my 2 oxygen generators were not put on and both of them are now beeping and screaming for a maintenance. They were old when I bought them years ago so whilst I will call the maintenance crew, I'm also looking for replacement until I can move from the attic to the garage and go on bottled oxygen.
Anyway, costs of new ones are very different from around 400 AUD to 3500 AUD. So could a cheaper one that still hits 5L be used for the time being?
For example this one:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DDT-2F-O...item442601bc2d

Sorry if my question is a stupid one.....
Old 2018-12-29, 3:56pm
Phill

There are filters inside the things.

Often there are two on the intake and a bio filter on the output just before the hose connects to the front of them.

Sometimes the bio filter will clog up over a long time of not being used.

I suggest getting replacement filters for all of them and looking around inside for brittle hoses as well.

That ebay unit looks like it should work.

Remember to set it to one liter less than maximum because the oxygen purity suffers when they are pushed to the max as much as 8 percent.

Oh and buy used units.
Let someone else pay for the depreciation.
Old 2018-12-30, 1:28am

Something I found that works quite well, instead of using an air compressor which can potentially introduce oil to the flame/oxygen, using an Svn breathing machine that asthmatics use to do breathing treatments. It doesn't use oil, and it has it's own filter that collects dust,water, or oil . It pushes an adequate amount of air pressure which you can T directly to an oxygen concentrator, it makes it virtually identical to the amount of uhmph you get from using tanked o2. Plus, they're quite cheap, especially in comparison to the cost of an air compressor. If you T it directly to the oxy hose, just put the concentrator on the bottom of the T with the Svn nebulizer adjacent. Light as normal, slightly rich on propane, if you use a T with a dial, open the whole T while lit, the flame will dial back slightly, then flick on the nebulizer and adjust as needed.. hope someone gets use of this, I have
Old 2018-12-30, 1:29am

Slightly off topic, but don't know where else to put that
Old 2018-12-30, 1:33am

Also, after checking filters, try turning back the output from the concentrator, or opening the oxy supply at the torch a little wider, if the concentrator picks up even slightly too much obstruction, it will set them off. Same for kinked crushed or dirty oxygen hoses
Old 2019-01-02, 3:46pm
Phill

The safety training I taught in the Navy for 17 years has my alarm bells ringing off the wall at the mention of air compressors and oxygen.

Some folks don't know that oil from a garage type air compressor can spontaneously combust in the presence of high purity oxygen.
If it is under pressure or confinement it can actually explode and turn what ever it is confined by into shrapnel.

Yeah, it probably won't happen to anyone you know.
But it has happened in military jets and blew them out of the air.

I've said my piece and I won't harp on it anymore.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2019-01-02 at 3:52pm.
Old 2019-01-03, 5:01pm

Thanks all for the answers. We opened both machine. There were some plastic tubes that were broken off (because of the age) and the tubes from the other machine could be used. So we made of the 2 machines 1.
These 2 are for people with breathing difficulties, so I don't think oil is involved into these ones. The one I'm using now (with success!), was actually looking very clean on the inside.
Old 2019-01-04, 2:16am
Phill

You can get tubing at the hardware store that will work just fine in these machines.

Normally, when they are used for medical purposes, these things get over hauled every two years or so and replacing the tubing and all the filters is part of that so the tubing used never got old enough to get brittle but because we lampworkers tend to plug them in and forget about them lots of the parts can be decades old before we think twice about them.