The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-12, 12:22pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Easy Layered Rose Petals Tutorial - on a Hothead

OKAY all you sweet people - I FINALLY got the Tutorial on easy layered rose petals done with pictures in the Tutorial Section. This one was made with effetre, but you can just as easily use it with Devardi like I did for this bead:

Here's the LE Tutorial link link:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=165674

Here is the Devardi bead worked up:

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-13 at 4:54pm.
Old 2010-06-13, 3:10pm

I just ordered 16 frit colors from devardi. I am looking forward to making some cool color combos. (my birthday money he he!). I also got more silver foil also and the silver frit with 10% copper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-13, 4:52pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Can't wait to see what you work up! And as I keep telling myself as I fry things, remember to work cool!

Old 2010-06-15, 8:02am

Quiet around here! What did everybody work on over the weekend? I had to skip torching this weekend-but DH works all night Wednesday and Thursday. I will be tired coming to work! I plan on torching as late as I can both nights.
I am working on a outside studio also. It will give me more room than what I have inside and do not have to worry about turning that noisy vent on! Only bad thing is having to tote glass outside planning wise.
Old 2010-06-15, 8:25am

I actually spent a good deal of time on the torch friday and saturday, I just need to find the time now for pictures!
Bethany, please be very careful if you are torching and tired, I gave myself a nasty third degree burn the last time I torched late. I don't torch now when I am too tired much as I can feel the darn thing calling my name lol. You could always cut up pvc pipe, and turn them upright in an orange crate (line the bottom so the glass doesn't just slide through) or a sturdy box and fill it up with your glass. That would keep the rods separate but make it easy to carry in and out and you should be able to get a really good selection in that size of crate to choose from.

Old 2010-06-15, 8:50am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I'm still playing with the Semi-opaque lt baby blue... I tried to make a butterfly hollow. I found out that when the opaque Lt. Baby Blue glass I used for the butterfly silvered up in my Hothead flame Tarn-X removed it (when the bead was cool). How cool is that!

You can see where I got a spot to thin and hot at the bottom of the butterfly wing on the right. I had to repair it. I'll be more careful next time to keep the hollow the same thickness.

Can't wait to see what everyone has been doing and working on!

Old 2010-06-15, 1:51pm

Sonja-Please do post pics! I hate taking pics and editing them.

I torch until very late when DH works. I try to stop before I will fall asleep at the flame! I have had a few burns......weird though most of my burns happen early in my torching sessions.

I have a basket to use for my glass. It was the silverware basket from our old dishwasher that I covered up the holes in the bottom. I just never know what colors I will want to use. I guess running into the house will not be hard-just frustrating.
Truly in that basket I have room for 30+ colors if I only put in 1 of each norm stuff and more black, white and ivory.

Kristina-beautiful bead! I absolutely love the SO Lt baby blue color! It works with so many other colors and melts like a dream for me.

Happy torching ladies!
Old 2010-06-15, 5:48pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I wanted to let everyone know of these two links - this one gives clear pics and steps on making hollow beads:
http://www.andiesglass.com/andies_glass_013.htm

This one makes a really neat Peas in a Pod bead:
http://www.andiesglass.com/andies_glass_015.htm

Hope they benefit someone besides me! Post pics if you make one or both of them!
Old 2010-06-16, 6:00am

Thanks for the links!
Old 2010-06-17, 4:42pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Everyone - sure is quiet in here! Is everyone at the beach? I know Holly is riding her horses!

I played with the Pea Pod tutorial tonight. I encased the pea green colored glass as soon as I made the first roll of it smooth - to help it hold up under the flame as I rounded the peas... it was a fun project! I used dark transparent green for the shell.

This is the other bead I worked up tonight. I cooled it to fast and it cracked I have a kiln on layaway with the Glasshive... I can hardly wait till it's paid for!

So what are you all up to?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-17 at 6:17pm.
Old 2010-06-17, 6:24pm

Cool pea pod I can see I have another thing to add to my list of things to try! Love love love that aquarium bead! I'm so sorry it cracked! I am taking pics tomorrow (I hope, the electric people are coming to upgrade and do a bunch of stuff but they assured me that they didn't need to turn all of the power off lol), so hopefully I will have pics to post. Too bad I can't torch tomorrow but it will give me chance to catch up on pictures etc.

Old 2010-06-18, 4:35am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I know what you mean Sonja! I go through withdrawls if I don't have my unwind-on-the-torch time each evening! Hope it all gets fixed fast for you!

I worked this bead up as a pendant yesterday. I haven't made enough of them for a bracelet but I still hope to.

Old 2010-06-18, 5:34pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Gosh, I'm starting to feel like one of the last people in town - turn off the lights please! It's way to quiet in here!

...so tonight I made up the blue bead in celery and in purple. The different colors are interesting... what do you all think?

Old 2010-06-18, 6:29pm

Very pretty! Yes it is much too quiet in here!
Old 2010-06-19, 10:57am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Hi Everyone;; DH is home from the hospital and that has kept me busy... so no torch time......

Where is everybody???? It is like a ghost town here...

Kristina... Beautiful beads, I do like the the celery green, not sure about the purple, it is very dark.. Maybe lighter flowers, OP extra light Plum Grey or OP Lilac or SOP light Pink Plum would add contrast to them... Still all in the purple family... Too bad about the aquarium bead... It was very well done, looked like real water with the bubbles... You will have to give that one another go when you get your kiln..
Thank you for the great "easy layered rose petals tut".. I printed it out, so that when I get a chance to torch I can give it a go...
Thank you for the tut links.. The green pea tut looks like it will be fun too..

Has any one ordered the Devardi Stainless Steel Mandrel with a side hole for making hollow beads yet??? Also I noticed some new house frits that look great and the Indian Marbled Butterscotch Frit looks like it could be great for organic beads... I will be ordering some.. Any one else ordering too???

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2010-06-19, 11:29am

I just got 16 packets of Devardi frit in the mail. Can't wait to mix and play with them, hopefully tonight or tomorrow! Should be fun.

Old 2010-06-19, 11:41am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I haven't gotten the Devardi mandrel with the hole, but I have played with another one. They are really neat, and the Devardi price is less as usual.

You can heat the hollow in spots and then blow to get the hot spots to extend too, not just blow them round - like make a softly squared hollow or a triangle shaped hollow...

If anyone makes any be sure to show us!
Old 2010-06-19, 12:17pm

Sonja... Oh that will be good fun mixing.. Post pics.. Please

Kristina... Sounds like fun... I may have to order one to play with...

Old 2010-06-19, 3:17pm

It appears that they have greatly enlarged their tools! May have to go shopping....
Old 2010-06-19, 3:45pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Yes, I was amazed the last time I looked at their tools page - and they have a tutorial on using the hole mandrel. The bead is gorgeous.

Houkje, I saw what you posted on the Seed Bead Gallery - you do lovely florals in seed beads! No wonder you worked up such a fabulous spider! Thanks for the color thoughts... I think that deep grape eggplant is to dark for the flowers too... I'll keep trying color combos - I really like your ideas for the colors!

Sonja - I can't wait to see your fun with the frit! I just got glass cutters and I keep meaning to cut some of their murrini rods and play with them. So much to try and so little time!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-19 at 3:49pm.
Old 2010-06-19, 7:20pm

Kristina... Thank you for the complement on the Victorian style beaded flowers,and the spiders... I would love to see pics with my color ideas worked-up, if you do any...

Hi Bethany...

I don't check Devardi's site for a few days, and find all these new toys .... Oh I mean tools...
Rumor has it that there are going to be a lot more me frits to be listed in a little bit... I know I will be needing to have a towel handy to contain the drool... Love the new house frits that are listed now...

Old 2010-06-20, 6:55am

How do the frits melt as compared to 96 coe frits? I like the way the 96 melts together on top of 104 coe. I have several of their frits - but have not tried them yet.
Old 2010-06-20, 8:25am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Houkje - I sure will post them if I have the colors and work them up! They sound like such pretty combinations!

On the Devardi frits and my Hothead, I have found the frits like to be pressed or rolled in as I melt them, and then encased (or the bead completed quickly) so as not to start deviting or having problems with overheating either the frit or the bead.

I wish I had encased this Semi-Op Pink because as you can see by the white fuzzy look, I overheated the bead before I was done raking the cobalt adventurine frit. It is such a beautiful frit and rod!

I found the 96 COE frits from Dragonfly Glassworx that I have used melt more easily and can be worked longer. But I also find it depends on the size of the frit. Some of the Devardi frit is larger and takes more to melt it in - like the chunky cobalt adventurine frit above.

What have others of you found in working the Devardi frits? Do you have any secrets or counsel for us when using it?
Old 2010-06-20, 9:05am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

I have some gold aventurine frit (not Davardi) and I noticed that and other aventurine (even powder) takes longer to melt regardless of glass being used.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-06-20, 12:17pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Do you think it's the metal in it?
Old 2010-06-20, 4:37pm
Remember to keep smiling

I made a few bullets using Davardi twisties I made. Also made a few beaded antique keys but they have been soaking for a couple of days....lol I was in hope to make them were they would turn around the key BUT they are stuck. They are certainly rusting up getting that rusty look about them though.

Name:  06192010shells1.JPG
Views: 1117
Size:  57.3 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2010-06-20, 6:18pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

WOW Paula, those cartridges are a neat idea! What made you think of making them? My husband would consider taking up torch work if he saw those!

All I have tonight is some doodling on Misty using the Cobalt and Green Adventurine Stringers... what did you all do?

Old 2010-06-20, 6:25pm
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina thank you, the first time I ever saw some done Nitadee here on LE made some. I bumb the casing from my SIL kept playing with them till I figured away to do them. Can't wait to give one to my brother....as a kid his nickname was bullet...lol

Love your scroll work it is awesome you must have a very steady hand.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-06-21, 7:51am

Kristina-your scroll work is great!

Paula-I have been keeping casings for a couple years to use them. Never have done it though! Your "Bullets" are wonderful!

After looking at the color chart post for moretti-I think I am going to make one for devardi. It should make ordering easier! Using the SSL press is a great idea.
Old 2010-06-21, 8:26am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you guys! I use a Creation Station, with wrist rests or I sure wouldn't be steady!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi