LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-13, 11:46am

Default spreading stamens

I love the look of flowers with spread stamens, like most of the beads in this gogole search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=stam...w=1366&bih=635

I've been trying to produce that result, but I'm not quite getting there. I have several blobby beads with stamen cane stuck all over them. Some spread a little, nothing spectacular like the beads in the search. Do any of you experienced flower makers have tips?

What diameter stamen cane works best? I'm using 1mm or maybe less--too small? Do you pull the cane to a point before plunging, or use it flat?

Do you have to encase the bead? I do add a blob of clear after breaking off the cane (and then tap it lightly). Do I need to then cover the entire bead as well?

I've been making my own stamen cane; for some I bundled filigrana rods and pulled them out, for others I layered pastel and clear glass.

Thanks!
Lee
Old 2013-05-13, 11:56am
I fart diamonds

The size of the cane you use depends on the size of the bead/flower.

1. Plunge your cane, turn the bead so that the cae is hanging and then use your nippers to cut it, slightly above the surface of the bead.

2. Add a dot of clear to the top of the cane approx 1.5-2x size of cane. (If cane is 1mm diam, make dot about 1.5-2mm tall.) Tap it a bit flat.

3. Start melting the clear and use your tool of choice to drag the clear down around the edges. (This helps the stamen spread.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-13, 11:57am
I fart diamonds

I hope that makes sense, lol. Easier to show than tell. You can also use murrini, spreading using the same dot method above. With murrini, you'll want to pull it to a point first for the best results.

Last edited by shawnette; 2013-05-13 at 11:59am.
Old 2013-05-13, 12:26pm

beautiful murrini
and great explanation of applying Shawnette
Old 2013-05-13, 1:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I hope that makes sense, lol. Easier to show than tell. You can also use murrini, spreading using the same dot method above. With murrini, you'll want to pull it to a point first for the best results.
I think I know what your saying but you are right seeing would be better, I'm going to try that. Thanks for the info.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-13, 3:50pm

I like to make the stamens quite large, this one is nearly 4mm.. I make large beads
I encased before the petals, between the petals & over the top of the petals before I introduce the stamen..
I pull the end of the stamen cane to a point before using it.
Heat the centre of the flower well then let the surface cool slightly so that when you push the stamen in it pushes the centre of the flower in a little instead of punching straight through it.
Cut stamen cane off just above surface of flower & apply a little clear to middle of stamen. Push gently to flatten & open, add more clear to centre if needed.
The tricky bit is to not catch bubbles under the edge of the opening stamen.

Kerry
Attached Images

Old 2013-05-13, 5:47pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Exactly the reason I'm on the lookout for some good nippers. I believe cutting versus breaking off is the key.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-05-13, 6:39pm

OK, encase first, hadn't thought of that, and spread clear blob with a tool.
Very helpful tips, thank you all! and Kerry, cool stringer! Off to the studio!

Incidentally, I've been "nipping" my stamen cane with wet needle nose pliers. The chill break leaves about 1/16" to 1/8" of cane above the bead, with a nice square end. Easier for me because the pliers are always right there, and they're smaller and easier to manipulate than my nippers. I can also nibble down the bit extending by reapplying the wet pliers.
Old 2013-05-13, 7:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Kerry, cool stringer!
Thank you Lee. Same stringer used to make individual bubble flowers. K
Attached Images

Old 2013-05-13, 9:29pm
Slogan Challenged...

Catts, those are nice! Great idea to avoid implosions. Thanks for sharing.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-14, 3:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Catts, those are nice! Great idea to avoid implosions. Thanks for sharing.
Much faster & easier than implosions.. K
Old 2014-01-03, 5:11pm
Dionysis Designs

I know I am a little late to the table, but thanks for the question and answer. I was wondering that myself. Awesome beads Catts!