LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-04, 10:17am

Run time version. What I'm seeing is that my computer is showing 2003 version of Office with Access AND the 2010 version without Access in the programs section. I'm wondering if the new program tried to update Access or something because I now have the Access program borders around the edges which I didn't have when I first downloaded the program. I'm thinking of checking with a computer savy friend too. It's a shame because I really like the Stash Master idea-just didn't have time to play with it when I first downloaded it. I'm sure I can get it to work, but it may take some time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Inspired by Nature, Captured in Glass
Etsy store-not open at this time
Old 2012-01-04, 1:11pm
Unmedicated since '62

maybe it updated the runtime version and screwed something up - i'd go back and download runtime again

unit of measure was one of the new features, it couldnt be that you have more than one version of stashmaster could it?

if you get really stuck, email me your stashmaster file and i'll have a look at it, sometimes all it needs is to be opened with a full version and everything resets

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-01-07, 10:01am

Location: 6 month in Ontario and 6 month in either Michigan or Florida
Cool Wondering if we can use OpenOffice with this database

I have been trying to upload this software with OpenOffice and I am definitely having issues. Is anyone able to use this software with Open Office if so, how?

Thanks for any help!!

Mickip15
Old 2012-01-07, 4:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickip15 View Post
I have been trying to upload this software with OpenOffice and I am definitely having issues. Is anyone able to use this software with Open Office if so, how?

Thanks for any help!!

Mickip15
nope, the database in open office is just not good enough

you dont need it anyway, it runs from a free runtime version of MS Access

Old 2012-01-16, 9:33pm
Fried Cat

SWEET! After all day of installing Parallels, Microsoft, Access and running after kids, I'm in.

Loving this Deb! Thank you so much for your time and effort.
Old 2012-01-17, 12:25am

Are you still planning a Mac version? Any idea when?

Thanks!
Old 2012-01-17, 2:00am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy View Post
Are you still planning a Mac version? Any idea when?

Thanks!
No, I'd have to completely recreate it in different software, the best alternative is to use parallels, a few people have done this and it works fine

Old 2012-01-17, 2:37am

Does this work for Bullseye?

Old 2012-01-17, 3:00am
Unmedicated since '62

It's got EVERYTHING

Go back to the first post and there is an explanation of what is in it, but basically at the time I loaded it it included details of every type and colour of glass available

Old 2012-01-17, 9:05am
Fried Cat

Deb, I'm sorry for the dumb question but it's been years since I've been on a PC for anything more than internet access at hotels.

I am using it on Access runtime. If I installed the full version, how could I use it differently? And are you still accepting gift cards, or would you rather paypal for an appreciation donation? This is worth something for all your hard work. It's amazing all on it's own.
Old 2012-01-17, 1:57pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredCat View Post
Deb, I'm sorry for the dumb question but it's been years since I've been on a PC for anything more than internet access at hotels.

I am using it on Access runtime. If I installed the full version, how could I use it differently? And are you still accepting gift cards, or would you rather paypal for an appreciation donation? This is worth something for all your hard work. It's amazing all on it's own.
having the full verson of Access 2010 would let you modify the database, you kinda need to know how to use Access which can be tricky for the uninitiated but worth learning IMHO - you could add features like costing etc

in saying that though, its taken me a couple of years to teach myself Access, i'm pretty familiar with DB software and i'm not stupid but Access can be really finicky and if you screw up its usually major (ask me how i know) - so make sure you keep a copy of the database separate

Old 2012-01-17, 2:21pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
having the full verson of Access 2010 would let you modify the database, you kinda need to know how to use Access which can be tricky for the uninitiated but worth learning IMHO - you could add features like costing etc

in saying that though, its taken me a couple of years to teach myself Access, i'm pretty familiar with DB software and i'm not stupid but Access can be really finicky and if you screw up its usually major (ask me how i know) - so make sure you keep a copy of the database separate
Ooh, yeah. I think I'm not going to do that after all.
Old 2012-01-17, 2:35pm
Unmedicated since '62

where's you sense of adventure!!?

Old 2012-01-20, 2:06am

next dumb question - if I have Office 2007 will Access 2010 have any problems? Also, if I buy it I'm getting the impression that it might be better to wait for the disk to install. Is that correct?

Old 2012-01-20, 2:11am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetcameron View Post
next dumb question - if I have Office 2007 will Access 2010 have any problems? Also, if I buy it I'm getting the impression that it might be better to wait for the disk to install. Is that correct?
nope, thats what i have and it works fine

install Access 2010 first then with it open launch the installer for StashMaster and just follow all the promps - have fun

Old 2012-01-27, 3:08am

Default Truncation of Comments field

Deb -

Thanks for all of your hard work. I just started playing around with it and love it already. However, I notice it truncates the comments field to 255 characters, even though I believe it is set up as a memo (usually virtually unlimited.) It has been a lot of years since I have used Access extensively and it is beyond me to figure out why, though I did find this link on potential reasons a memo field would truncate: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-63.html

I'd love the ability to have longer comments on my colors if it wouldn't mess something else up.
Old 2012-01-27, 3:19am
Unmedicated since '62

Hmm I thought it was a memo field - just a sec and I'll check

update:

well, there you go, the things been up for a year and you're the first person to try and put more than 255 characters in the comment field!!

i've fixed my copy, if you have Access 2010 i can tell you how to fix yours, otherwise if you email your file to me i'll fix it and send it back

debbie@perfectjewellery.com.au

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2012-01-27 at 3:26am.
Old 2012-01-27, 11:20am

I do have Access 2010 and would love to know how to fix my copy of the db. I have just enough knowledge of Access to be able to tweak things like sort fields, but this one I couldn't figure out. Do you want to post the instructions on this thread in case someone else runs into this too?

I've always wanted a database for my glass where I could put in notes on how a color plays with other glass/ colors. I'm loving this, but 255 characters just wasn't long enough for me!
Old 2012-01-27, 2:31pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
only if you have the full version of Access 2010 - if you want you can email me back your file and i'll update it for you
So, wait... if we're running runtime version, we have to send you our file, and then you update with the CIM info and then mail it back to us?

Nevermind.
I think my brain broke. I'm going to try to attempt installing the full version of Access and going back to update AFTER my son is no longer drugged on narcotics and is back in school.
Old 2012-01-27, 2:43pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsmith View Post
I do have Access 2010 and would love to know how to fix my copy of the db. I have just enough knowledge of Access to be able to tweak things like sort fields, but this one I couldn't figure out. Do you want to post the instructions on this thread in case someone else runs into this too?

I've always wanted a database for my glass where I could put in notes on how a color plays with other glass/ colors. I'm loving this, but 255 characters just wasn't long enough for me!
really easy

make sure the main form is closed

from the selection panel on the left open the table called GlassTbl in design mode, do this by right clicking and selecting design view

now go down to the field called comment third from the bottom and click on the second column, data type, you'll get a little drop down arrow to make a selection, just select memo instead of text (my stuff up)

close and save

now when you go into the field on the form it should let you put heaps of info, up to 64,000 characters i think

Quote:
So, wait... if we're running runtime version, we have to send you our file, and then you update with the CIM info and then mail it back to us?

Nevermind.
I think my brain broke. I'm going to try to attempt installing the full version of Access and going back to update AFTER my son is no longer drugged on narcotics and is back in school.
its not a big deal, i can do it for you if you like - it depends how many changes you've made to the database as to how much i have to fiddle to add things

Old 2012-01-27, 3:30pm

Deb -

Works perfectly. Thanks!
Old 2012-01-27, 5:37pm
Fried Cat

Quote:

its not a big deal, i can do it for you if you like - it depends how many changes you've made to the database as to how much i have to fiddle to add things
Hey Deb,

Sadly, I haven't had a chance to sit down and really add anything to it at all. The week I installed Parallels, his tonsils took a direct nose dive.
Old 2012-01-27, 5:48pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Hey Deb,

Sadly, I haven't had a chance to sit down and really add anything to it at all. The week I installed Parallels, his tonsils took a direct nose dive.
Well that's actually a good thing - iteans I can just send you the updated version

Old 2012-01-27, 6:01pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Well that's actually a good thing - iteans I can just send you the updated version
Yay! That would be ever so appreciable.

My email is shardioneal at me dot com
Old 2012-01-27, 6:14pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Yay! That would be ever so appreciable.

My email is shardioneal at me dot com
I won't be home till later though, so a couple of hours

Old 2012-01-30, 11:03am
Always Improving

How is the paid version coming along?

I am looking forward to the comments and pictures for twisties and select beads, etc.

Mike...
Old 2012-01-30, 2:55pm
Unmedicated since '62

its coming - actually i better pull my finger out cos thats how i'm planning to pay to get to the gathering

every time i add something i get sidetracked and add something else...then that affects some part that i have to modify which then leads to another idea and i add something else - aaarrrgggg!!!

Old 2012-02-02, 3:08pm
Always Improving

I have developed several large and complex data bases over the years and I totally undestand what you are going through.

If I can just add this little bit of functionality I will be done, then one more and one more and one more.....
Old 2012-02-02, 3:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

yep, thats it perfectly - its an obsession

Old 2012-02-20, 3:31pm

Well darn! I just finally figured out I need Win7 to make this work. shoot. I have XP via Parallels and bootcamp. sigh.