Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-20, 1:24pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
shawnette, i'm just curious why you don't anneal your 90 coe ornaments?
I don't anneal the balls but I do anneal icicles because that's the way I was shown by a Master Glass Blower from Germany who's been making them for longer than I've been alive. If they are properly flame annealed and cooled, they don't have to be kiln annealed. Something about the shape and heat dispersion and rate of cooling. (Super thick accent, lol.)

I've also consulted with a couple others who also have much more experience than I do and they don't kiln anneal them either, so who am I to question? I haven't had any issues with cracking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-11-20, 1:27pm
I fart diamonds

You can put the frit inside or outside. Larger size frit melts in better when used on the outside. Fine frit can go either way.

Old 2013-11-21, 4:22am

it just seems wrong lol. not to mention, i gotta imagine an annealed ornament might fare better if it's dropped.
lol...and there is no flame annealing. yes, that info is from a lifelong blower.
Old 2013-11-21, 4:34am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
it just seems wrong lol. not to mention, i gotta imagine an annealed ornament might fare better if it's dropped.
They're glass balls. If you drop them on a hard surface, they're probably going to break. Even the annealed ones.

Old 2013-11-21, 4:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
They're glass balls. If you drop them on a hard surface, they're probably going to break. Even the annealed ones.
^^ This.
Old 2013-11-21, 5:25am

When you blow the ornament, evenly heat the bulb. Then blow. Now don't return the globe to the heat. It should be evenly heated and the glass distributed evenly within the globe. I did annealing some and others I just let cool standing upside down. There seems to be no difference since they are so thin. If you heat and cool and heat and cool the bulb then you are giving some area different heat treatment and I expect the ornament would have stress areas.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-11-21, 5:26am
Lizard rescue squad

Quote:
lol...and there is no flame annealing. yes, that info is from a lifelong blower.
An annealed ornament isn't necessarily stronger if dropped. Sometimes stress in glass is good, if it is uniform. Consider tempered windows. However, as Shawnette said above, they ARE thin glass. Annealed or not, dropping on a hard surface is not recommended.

I agree with her and Heather that if they are done right, ornaments like these will often be fine without annealing. The reason is twofold. One, as Heather mentioned, because the glass is so thin and a more or less uniform thickness, they can cool quickly without introducing much stress into them. Two, the nearly spherical shape is a strong one that will tolerate more stress than pretty much any other shape.

If these had a glass cap on them as most furnace ornaments do, it might be a different story. Because the thicker cap cools slower than the body there would be a ring of stress in the glass around it. But with thin walls and a uniform thickness like these have, as long as their final overall heating was even, they have a good chance of survival even without being oven annealed.

Brad

Last edited by glassmaker; 2013-11-21 at 5:39am.
Old 2013-11-21, 6:50am

pfft. i don't care much about the science, but not annealing things you intend to use and/or sell is just bad form. no matter how strong the spherical shape is, it just doens't seem right.
Old 2013-11-21, 7:15am
Got Honey?

Awesome video! Makes much more sense than the others that I have watched! Gonna pull mine out and give them another try, thanks

Old 2013-12-07, 5:55am

these are fun. But I have no idea what I will do with the extras.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]

Last edited by Dasi; 2014-09-12 at 12:14pm.
Old 2013-12-07, 11:08am
Always Improving

Ed Hoy has them on sale for less than a dollar.

Just got a fee hindered for next year.

I always anneal but that is just me. I know there are several sellers of the finished ornaments that DO NOT anneal. To each his own.

Shawnette, great video, I have been forming and selling thse for several years and I learned something for your video. Thanks.

Mike...