Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-08, 12:08pm
I speak Murrini!

Default Skull Stamp Suggestions/Feedback Please!!

Hi All!

Well, as some of you may have found, there are several good Skull Molds around (I have the Inspiration Toolworks one and love it!), but some trials and tribulations have been experienced by us lampworkers looking for a good Skull "Stamp". I'm working on an idea - and it's had some success, but before I go any futher with what would be likely be a "limited edition" run of 6 brass skull stamps, I wanted to put it out there for your suggestions and feedback.

Please keep in mind that for the time being, I'm stuck on a Hot Head (no negative implication intended - just the true limits of Hot Heads to be considered) and my camera also isn't the best.

I have made a couple beads as "tests" using my stamp idea; the opaques have interesting results but I also tried transparents hoping you could "see" the skull impression better. I also tried etching just the skull impression on the transparents - which did interesting things, but not exactly the results I hoped for.

My brother, who really likes skull and spooky stuff, thinks they are very cool. He's also my bro, and thinks I'm being way too self-critical and that other lampworkers who have better/different equipment and techniques at their disposal (i.e., "fuming", boro, implosion, etc.) may really like the potentials here.

So here are some first test results, and I'd sure appreciate your suggestions, feedback and a feel for "interest" in buying one of these so I don't go full throttle and have either disappointed customers or am disappointed myself.

Please tell me what you think!

Hades Base/Opaque Dot/Clear Dot/Stamp:

Hades Base/Opaque Encase/Stamp:

Black Nebula Base/Clear Encase/Stamp:

Transparent Tabs:

Transparent Tabs/Etched Image/Dark Background in Photo:

Transparent Tabs/Etched Image/Lt. Background in Photo:

Light, angle, colors of glass used and what they are lying against seem to make big differences in how they look. I realize, too, that my photos aren't doing them justice, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

If nothing else, these would make great impressions in PMC (going to try it this weekend), but I'm wondering if they are still not what a lampworker would be interested in buying - for glass, that is!

Thanks for looking and - pro or con - please feel free to give me honest opinions!

De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-05-08, 12:57pm

Oh My God I need,want ,have to have one ,I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-05-08, 1:19pm
I speak Murrini!

Thank you Karen for your post! I've hesitated to put this question out there but I may start a list of those who are interested so I can let them know when the project is complete and they are available!

I really appreciate your positive comment!

De

Old 2009-05-08, 10:08pm
More ideas than talent

Try laying down silver on ivory and stamping it. You may get an interesting effect.

Your second and third ones look great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-08, 10:08pm
More ideas than talent

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to go a larger print run than 6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-08, 11:27pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Wendy! What a great idea!!!

As far as the count referenced, I should have been more specific and said that I'm planning on making six stamps (brass stamp tools), hence my "limited edition" reference.

I'm gonna try that silver on ivory tomorrow!

De

Old 2009-05-09, 6:38am
drinks pickle juice

I think it would be cool if instead of stamping the skull into the glass, it was raised out of the glass (more like a press I guess than a stamp)
Old 2009-05-09, 6:42am

I LOVE the black nebula one. That is just so spooky. He's there, but not really. Just an impression. That color makes the scull black and very visible. Very cool!

Old 2009-05-09, 10:15am
I speak Murrini!

Hey Monkey!!!

I have a great Skull Press (from Jeff/Inspiration Toolworks) but just thought this would be an interesting alternative!

Hey Cynthia..you!!!

I figured YOU would like this, being you do such great stuff with the Skull Mold you have! I appreciate the input so very much!!! I'm gonna see if I can make a "tab" style pendant with the Black Neb and get this type of impression in a more aesthetic finished piece.

Hugs to you'z guyz!
De

Old 2009-05-09, 5:09pm

Can I be on the list,pppplllleeeeaaaasssee.

Karen Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-05-10, 12:48pm
I speak Murrini!

Of course, Karen!

De

Old 2009-05-11, 8:11pm

De,,,I PMed you ,Im really looking forward to your creation and the price is fine.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-05-11, 9:08pm

Oh good lord I want one of those! My friends and coworkers would go gaga over those pendants! Gimme!
Old 2009-05-11, 10:11pm
Critter Mom

Hi De ... I'd be interested in 2 of the skull stamps, one for me and one for my son. Please put me on your list too.

Old 2009-05-12, 9:23pm
I speak Murrini!

Sure thing, Bonnie!

De

Old 2009-05-13, 7:51pm
glass nerd!

I'd be interested in a stamp also!

Old 2009-05-13, 8:02pm

You can put me on the list if you are still wanting extra's to make up the 6.

I love what you have done with them, I like how they are spooky too!

Nat

Old 2009-08-09, 4:20pm
I speak Murrini!

Default At long last (drum roll please)....

Ta Da!!!! Here's some snaps of the Prototype!

Thanks to everyone for their patience on this! Extreme special thanks to my tool person who worked so diligently with me

There were some hurdles....but the finished product is far more awesome than I'd dreamed of, and I'm thrilled! Because adjustments had to be made, and extra materials and man hours expended to complete this project, there will be a price adjustment but I didn't want to give up! With that in mind, I'll be in touch with those who had PM'd me way back when this thread was first started, let them know what the final price will be, and give them first shot. I will arrange for those to go in my Etsy on a "Reserved" basis.

There (still) will only be 6 to go around; should there be any left, I will be posting them in my Etsy and making a general announcement here.

All 6 should be in my hands and available for distribution by next weekend, which will also be indicated here in the thread when they're ready to go.

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

De

Old 2009-08-09, 5:22pm

Hey De,

It looks super special to me and so very professional!!!!!!

I can't wait to get my hot lil hands one one right now!

Thanks for all the work from you and your initial concept and seeing it right through. You should be really proud of yourself and your tool bloke too, you have come up with a fabulous tool from the looks of it and worth every minute of the work.

Nat

Last edited by Natsprat; 2009-08-09 at 5:23pm. Reason: shithouse spelling
Old 2009-08-09, 5:47pm
I speak Murrini!

Nat: (pfftttt on your edit reason! I live there too!)

Thanks so much - and really the major credit goes to my tool person who was so creative with getting these put together so well!

Appreciate it!
De

Old 2009-08-10, 2:00pm

De,,,pm d you I am so excited !!!!!!!!!

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-08-15, 2:16pm
I speak Murrini!

Default They're here- woo hoo!!!

ALL 6 ARE READY!!! Yay!!! Thanks to all who have encouraged me and assisted me along this exciting journey!

They are now available in my Etsy Shop; I have listed 4 of the 6 as *RESERVED*, and will be in touch with each of you who have made advance arrangements to give you the direct link to your specifically reserved listing.

THERE ARE TWO (2) REMAINING THAT ARE CURRENTLY UNSPOKEN FOR, and are listed separately in my Etsy Shop! If you'd like one, please come and check them out.

Etsy link is below my signature!

Thanks all!
De

Old 2009-08-15, 4:01pm
Critter Mom

Hi De ... Just sent my payment via PayPal. I'm so anxious to try this out, hope you don't mind answering questions cuz I've never used a stamp before. Now if I can just get all the kitchen cabinets out of my studio so I can get to my torch

Old 2009-08-15, 5:51pm
I speak Murrini!

I'll do my best to help you! I've had some interesting results but remember I'm on a Hot Head!

I can tell you that if you are a boro person, heating a gather of clear and making a maria, stamping that with the skull and fuming with gold or silver, then imploding can make amazing images in pendants or marbles!

Here's a very cool YouTube vid by BeadManGlass that shows something similar to the the process I describe above, except I believe his mold is an "innie" whereas the stamp here is an "outie", and he encases his versus imploding it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZSgE5QJuM

Just one suggestion! I'd also love to see what everyone discovers and creates on their own!

De

Last edited by theglasszone; 2009-08-15 at 5:53pm.
Old 2009-08-15, 8:47pm
Critter Mom

Actually I'm a soft glass user, but I have done a little boro on my Lynx. Since my son has decided to see all of his boro equipment I'm going to have some boro glass to play with. I love the video, very easy to follow. I will definately post anything that's "post worthy".

Old 2009-09-08, 3:03pm
Temptress

I can't find it!!! Am I too late?