No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-11, 9:09am
all for the love of glass

Exclamation long bead woes..

I was having a lot of stuck beads about a month or so ago and decided that the problem was the bead release so I bought some bucketomud. That worked lovely for a while and then it went a little dry (release was flaking and not holding) so I added a small amount of bottled water...maybe added too much since the release was running down the mandrel a bit rather than holding the way it was when I bought it..yesterday I made my longest(55mm) bead so far (pen for christmas present) and it came out so lovely

BUT.. won't come off the mandrel. I'll try soaking in coke but any other ideas? and anyone who makes those fantastic long beads..Trey?... what do you use for bead release! I made 2 yesterday ..neither is budging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2006-12-11, 9:35am
I've got goodies!

soak it in vinegar for a while. It might take a couple of days. If that doesn't work, put it in th freezer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-12-11, 9:55am

Thanks Shawnette, I'll try it. My main concern is how can I avoid this again.. Bead release too thin do you suppose? Wrong release for longer worked beads?

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2006-12-11, 10:52am

Thank you Kimberly..I've got it soaking in vinigar..I'll try the freezer and smacking it around a bit. I didn't want to get too aggressive but I guess it doesn't much matter, since its no good to me stuck on the mandrel...thanks for the preventive tips. I thought I may have got it too thin.

Old 2006-12-11, 11:03am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

look at the bright side, if you can't get it off, nip off the mandrel that extends past the end of the bead and use it as a very pretty plant decoration!
Old 2006-12-11, 11:25am

I am so glad to see this thread, I have two beauties that may become plant stakes. I'm gonna try all this stuff.
Jen
Old 2006-12-11, 11:35am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I do the tap method and it always works, even with long beads. Tap the mandrel firmly on a cement floor or sidewalk and keep tapping. Eventually, the ping you're hearing while tapping will change and that's when you know the bead is starting to move. Sometimes, you'll need to turn the mandrel over and tap the opposite end. Tap fairly hard. The tapping breaks up the release underneath the glass. It usually takes about 3 minutes for a long bead like this but I use this technique with all my beads. Gravity is a lovely thing.

Old 2006-12-11, 12:11pm

Well, it's off the mandrel..
One whack too many or too hard or release just to-o-o-o thin. It chipped in the center and I just gave up on it and gave it a good whack. I'm going to leave the lid off my release and try again tonight. You guys are beautiful though..thanks for the help.

Old 2006-12-11, 12:19pm
Corgi Cult Member

Oh, that hurts!
Kathy

Old 2006-12-11, 12:45pm

OH NO!! I was just reading along at all of the tips and YIKES!!

Sorry Deborah it really was a pretty bead.

Old 2006-12-11, 1:16pm
PyronamixK

Do you have acces to a diamong saw? You could clean up the broken edges and maybe make a matching barrel bead (solid color) to go between the two halves... ?

That was such a lovely bead and I would hate to think of it as a total loss.
Old 2006-12-11, 2:04pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is such a shame, I feel your pain!that bead was beautyful

Old 2006-12-11, 2:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Old 2006-12-11, 2:35pm
Upstate New York

How sad! That's a beautiful bead! I make a lot of long beads & use Foster Fire, but I dip it twice and dry it between dips. I think there's a lot of stress on the larger beads...perhaps an extra coat will help....

So sorry about your bead!!!

janie
Old 2006-12-11, 5:46pm

thanks guys..the commiserating helps

Old 2006-12-12, 9:07am

Default Woo Hoo!

I had to post a postive result to this thread ..this one was stubborn as well, however this one I had applied 2 coats of release (let each air dry between) as Kimberly described ..a wee bit thicker than just running down the mandrel. This morning I let it soak as I removed the rest of the beads from mandrels and it still wasn't ready to come off so I (used another area of flooring..that one had bad mojo) did the tap against the cement trick and after a minute or so gave it a try and it shifted...happy day!! Of course, wouldn't ya know, I don't like this one quite as well..

Old 2006-12-12, 10:35am

I'm so sorry your lovely bead broke!!! I have to say my experience has been that it is tough to find a decent bead release period. The Foster Fire is ok if I'm not doing a transparent bead. Otherwise it has tiny bumps that create bead release in a pit in the center of the bead that shows through. I tried BOM after hearing raves and HATED it. I couldn't get ANYTHING off of it. I always hold my mandrels with vice grips and I use the rubber flat, round jar opener to pull off any tough ones. But I also have a lot of bead release break on me which is SO frustrating when you work on something for 20-30 minutes or longer!!! I also have used Alice's Bead Release which comes in dry form and I mix it with water and put it through a blender. But I have yet to find a REALLY good bead release solution. I work on a minor and also have a midrange that I haven't tried yet. I'm open to ideas as well!
Old 2006-12-12, 8:01pm

I have really good luck with Alices bead release. It has to be fairly thick on the mandrel, but I have made beads up to 75-80mm long and as long as I don't marver them to death, they come right off.
Dawn
Old 2006-12-26, 10:19pm

Great thread - thank you!! I just busted to long - and beautiful!! - beads. ( I should have waited - I'm too tired now) and jump on the computer to ask what to do. Going back into the studio on Friday and make some more!
Thanks!
A.
Old 2006-12-27, 11:06pm

Good luck with it A..let us know how it goes! I'm finding the tapping if its stubborn is the trick as the pros have said. I haven't broken any more so that's progress. I'm also heavier handed with my bead release..at least 2 coats (drying between).

Old 2006-12-27, 11:51pm
I'm a lilac!

I make long beads sometimes and I use "Michael Barley's blend" of 1/2 kiln wash, 1/2 anhydrous alumina... I make it almost runny, and it's perfect.

If you want, send me that broken beauty and I'll electroform it together for you and send it back. It's too lovely to let it go entirely! Just PM me if you're interested.

Old 2006-12-28, 12:48am
Super Duper

I hate most bead releases. The best one that I have used is the frantz art glass stuff mixed with a tiny bit of a bucket of mud sample that I have laying around.

Bucket of mud never worked for me, I work with boro about half the time and when I use big flames (even on soft glass) it just flakes/crumbles.
Old 2006-12-28, 12:52am
Entropy increasing....

Nice bead.

I have, on 3 occassions recently, dipped the wrong end of the mandrel and made a bead over it. You know the end with the flat part? That's just toast.

All were really cool beads too. Things like that never happen with the fuglies.

I think I need to wear my glasses when I dip.
Old 2006-12-28, 1:37am
I'm a lilac!

I dunno who's selling you mandrels with a stamp on one end, but stop buying from them! If you make your own, make sure you ask for laser-stamped rod. If you buy from someone else, it should NEVER be stamped.

Old 2006-12-28, 1:47am
Entropy increasing....

Hm...I have never bought them myself so I had no idea there were any other kind. Thanks for the tip. My husband bought the thingies from a welding place and cut them.