LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-04, 4:00am

This thread makes me want to hug a stranger!
Thank you for sharing your gifts, Kalera.

J
Old 2011-02-04, 5:12am
Angie09

Kalera,

What is the number on the tobacco frit? I have "light tobacco" will that work???
Old 2011-02-04, 6:13am
Ave

Hi Kalera,
I need to take this opportunity to mention that you have been the most inspirational artist for me since I came to LE!! I read the recipes for your lovely beads in this thread with a bit of hesitation because trying to figure stuff out on my own has given me so many spectacular and happy accidents because of course I never get it right..

I will ask one question though.. I love the Loetz frits.. after seeing a set you first posted I ordered every color I could find and have played with them a bit. It is an odd COE though. I use it as surface decoration on a Bullseye base. I have not been able to encase it successfully? Do you have any suggestions for base glass and have you encased these frits?
Thanks
Ave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-04, 6:30am
Resident hippie

And where do you find the Loetz glass?
When I saw some beads you made with it a while back Kalera I looked but couldn't find anyone supplying them.
Where did you find the frit Ave?

If you don't have Bullseye will it work in small amounts?

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-04, 6:35am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
http://www.thatfritgirl.com/category_18/Loetz.htm

Can't answer any other questions
Old 2011-02-04, 6:37am
Resident hippie

Thanks Angie!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-02-04, 6:43am
Angie09

She doesn't have many so I would still be interested in knowing from Kalera where she purchased hers ... they look intriguing!
Old 2011-02-04, 7:29am
Ave

Angie, Anna,
I believe I got mine from "That Frit Girl" as well. It is funny stuff.. To look at it, it looks like there are bits of mica, and rocks mixed in with the glass. The effect is pretty darn cool though. Kalera had it right in her titles of her Loetz sets. They look like ancient artifacts with a slightly pitted surface. I really like them.
Ave

Old 2011-02-04, 8:20am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Kalera,

What is the number on the tobacco frit? I have "light tobacco" will that work???
The Gaffer Tobacco that I have is G-104, which might be Light Tobacco for all I know but I wrote "Tobacco" on the jar & have never re-ordered because I got so much the first time.

From what I can tell, Reichenbach Tobacco and Light Tobacco work for this too!

Old 2011-02-04, 8:25am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabunting View Post
Hi Kalera,
I need to take this opportunity to mention that you have been the most inspirational artist for me since I came to LE!! I read the recipes for your lovely beads in this thread with a bit of hesitation because trying to figure stuff out on my own has given me so many spectacular and happy accidents because of course I never get it right..

I will ask one question though.. I love the Loetz frits.. after seeing a set you first posted I ordered every color I could find and have played with them a bit. It is an odd COE though. I use it as surface decoration on a Bullseye base. I have not been able to encase it successfully? Do you have any suggestions for base glass and have you encased these frits?
Thanks
Ave

Than you!

I've never tried to encase the Loetz... you're right, they're super funny and weird and don't seem to really have a listed COE of their own. I buy them from Spruce Pine Batch and they just say that they should be annealed according to the schedule for the base glass you use them on.

I kind of wonder if they contain so much metal that the COE is "up for grabs", so to speak? I would love a glass chemist's input on this!

One thing I know for sure... I am glad I have good ventilation for these, because I don't know what that yellow liquid is that chases over the beads in the flame!

Old 2011-02-04, 8:26am
I'm a lilac!

Thanks everyone!

Old 2011-02-04, 8:30am
sunscreen me baby

Which sets use the Loetz? I have two jars of it that was gifted to me years ago. I never heard of it and don't remember if I even tried it. They are sitting way back behind all my frit somewhere.

~

Old 2011-02-04, 8:50am

Kalera - what size of the Loetz frits do you use most often?

Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful info!
Old 2011-02-04, 9:10am
Semi Retired

I bought a kilo of the Loetz gold a while back and it came in a plastic tub. The label said that it is COE 93.

|

|

|

|

Old 2011-02-04, 9:36am

Hi again Kalera,

I mentionned a BOTM (from some time ago) bead on the other thread - a very subtle effect on a light green encased bead - looks like to me a clear frit. Am I right on that?

BOOOK::df:::::tut:::BOOOKK:::tut::df

Thanks and thanks and thanks - so generous in the spirit of this forum that still shines through folks like you. I said this before, but it bears repeating today. When I was first getting into beadwork (not yet lampworking) after 25 years of textiles, I saw Kaleras' ads in the back of one of the bead magazines - maybe Bead and Button or Beadwork- and thought they were the most beautiful beads I had ever seen. Those ads were really my introduction to the world of lampworking. I know the Beadwife site was my entry into this wonderful media. I just decided I had to see what it was all about and, fortunately, there was a day class at the University craft center in my town.............Thanks, thanks, thanks over and over.
Old 2011-02-04, 9:36am
Ave

Amen.. to the good ventilation! I have the Loetz in two sizes, #4, and #3. I like the #3, the #4 is a bit too large for what I like to do. My containers from That Frit Girl are labeled with a COE of 87? Go figure..
Ave

Old 2011-02-04, 9:44am
Ave

Don't know if this is going to copy? Some info from Spruce Pine Branch on Ullman & Loetz.
Looks like the yellow stuff might be glue?

Explanation of Ullman Colors
"Powder" - is a granulate finer than 1 ,00 mm
"Chips" - are granulates of 1,00 to 8,50 mm.

All Ullman color products can be used at regular working temperatures, i.e.: between 1150 to 1250 degrees C/ 2100 to 2280 degrees F. The annealing temperature is the one used for the base glass.

Powders, and chips may be used without preheating. The best way to apply them is by dipping them.

The Loetz colors are 5010, 5020, 5030, and 5040. The gold effect which makes them famous is obtained by gluing the powders andlor chips on the external surface of the glass, treating it first reductively, and then iridizing it. The reduction can be obtained by exposing the color-covered glass to a reductive atmosphere. When using Loetz colors in lampworking, iridizing is mostly not needed.

5010 - is a half transparent glass on lead crystal base of yellow basic color over-saturated with silver.
5020 - is a transparent glass on lead crystal base of blue green color, over-saturated with silver and copper.
5030 - is a transparent glass on a lead crystal base of green color over-saturated with silver and chrome.
5040 -is a transparent glass on a lead crystal base of grey color, over-saturated with silver and dulled with nickel

Hmm whatever?
Ave

Old 2011-02-04, 9:54am
Ishum Designs

Just been lurking (mostly because I don't feel experienced enough to ask a coherent question) on this thread for days and must say that it is one of the most extraordinary I have ever enjoyed. The glass bead community is wonderful and willing to share info and techniques so much, but I don't think I have ever seen (for free) such detailed info and unrestricted willingness to give away knowledge (and the fruits of so many experiments or so much experience). Thank you, Kalera!

Bill
Ishum Designs
Oakland, CA

GTT Bobcat with a pair of 5 lpm Air Sep Elites.
Old 2011-02-04, 9:55am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Which sets use the Loetz? I have two jars of it that was gifted to me years ago. I never heard of it and don't remember if I even tried it. They are sitting way back behind all my frit somewhere.
Everything on my site called "Antiquity"... let me find a few...

Grey/gold over clear:

Blue-green/gold over clear:

Yellow/gold over clear:

Green/gold over clear:

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 8:01am. Reason: fix pics
Old 2011-02-04, 9:58am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyK View Post
Kalera - what size of the Loetz frits do you use most often?

Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful info!
I think it's #3... the Loetz frit sizes are a bit different from other companies, much smaller. If I'm remembering right!

Old 2011-02-04, 9:58am
I'm a lilac!

Vicki and Bill, thank you so much!

Old 2011-02-04, 10:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabunting View Post
Amen.. to the good ventilation! I have the Loetz in two sizes, #4, and #3. I like the #3, the #4 is a bit too large for what I like to do. My containers from That Frit Girl are labeled with a COE of 87? Go figure..
Ave
I'd originally thought Loetz coe was 93, but had to look it up when I started to carry it as my orders just came in big bags. The site that I found gave me a coe of 87, so if you guys have found more info giving a coe of 93 I'll be happy to print that on the labels. I haven't searched for a bit - there may be more info out there now!

With Kalera's permission I'd be happy to blend her "Romance" mix and have it available pre-made for anyone who would like it. It sounds wonderful!

Kalera, this is so incredibly sweet of you to do, and such a yummy thread! I've always loved your beads!

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-02-04, 10:44am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFritGirl View Post
With Kalera's permission I'd be happy to blend her "Romance" mix and have it available pre-made for anyone who would like it. It sounds wonderful!
Well, Leslie, you KNOW I'd buy it!!!! That would be terrific!!!!!
Old 2011-02-04, 10:49am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
I'd originally thought Loetz coe was 93, but had to look it up when I started to carry it as my orders just came in big bags. The site that I found gave me a coe of 87, so if you guys have found more info giving a coe of 93 I'll be happy to print that on the labels. I haven't searched for a bit - there may be more info out there now!

Kalera, this is so incredibly sweet of you to do, and such a yummy thread! I've always loved your beads!
Thank you! Go for it! One thing I discovered in the studio yesterday is that what I thought was #1 Z-99 is actually #0, so adjust the recipe I gave accordingly.

Old 2011-02-04, 10:53am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
When I saw some beads you made with it a while back Kalera I looked but couldn't find anyone supplying them.
Where did you find the frit Ave?

If you don't have Bullseye will it work in small amounts?
I use it mostly on 96, but all the info I could find on Spruce Pine's website says:

Quote:
All Ullman color products can be used at regular working temperatures, i.e.: between 1150 to 1250 degrees C/ 2100 to 2280 degrees F. The annealing temperature is the one used for the base glass.
I am not sure I'd try it on 104, but it should be fine on Uroboros or any of the furnace glasses in the 90's range.

Old 2011-02-04, 11:41am

Thanks Kalera! I'll mix it this weekend & credit you in the name

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-02-04, 11:48am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Thanks Kalera! I'll mix it this weekend & credit you in the name
Awesome!

Old 2011-02-04, 11:54am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki B. View Post
Hi again Kalera,

I mentionned a BOTM (from some time ago) bead on the other thread - a very subtle effect on a light green encased bead - looks like to me a clear frit. Am I right on that?
Vicki, I keep forgetting to answer this! I am not totally sure what bead you're referring to or I would tell you! Do you have one you could post a pic of? I am wracking my brain for what it could have been...

Old 2011-02-04, 12:01pm
Semi Retired

Default Loetz COE

Here is the label on my Loetz tub. Kalera's beads are just gorgeous.

|

|

|

|

Old 2011-02-04, 12:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
Here is the label on my Loetz tub. Kalera's beads are just gorgeous.

Cool! Finally a firm coe answer! I'll change my labels tonight! Back when I first started ordering the Loetz I called Spruce Pine and asked but the very sweet lady wasn't quite sure. She gave me a range of 87-93. I found an Ullman site that gave 87, so I went with that. I wonder if it might vary by batch... I hope not!

Leslie
Frit Happens...