Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-08-20, 5:51pm

Default Best Bead Release for Cabs?

I've got three different kinds of bead release, and they all seem to flake off while making beads, and my cabs keep falling off the cab mandrels while I'm making them.

Any favorite bead release for cab mandrels?
Old 2015-08-20, 6:07pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I use Dip n' Go Blue Sludge for cab mandrels. Make sure you heat them pretty good before you start adding glass, the heat strengthens the release. The cabs can be twisted off when they come out of the kiln without much problem.

BUT...

Dip n' Go Blue is being discontinued because A'Springs can't get one of the ingredients any more, and they've developed a new version.

I've tested it with cabs, and the glass stays on the cab mandrels just as good as the old version, but they fall off the mandels in the kiln sometime during cool down.

Which is just WONDERFUL for home cab making, but not so good for classes, because I have the students mark the undersides of their mandrels with their assigned colors so we can figure out who belongs to what cab mandrel.

I personally? Will use the new formula at home, and buy up a bunch of the old formula and hoard it for classes.

Either one will work for you, really REALLY well. Get some!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2015-08-20, 6:11pm

Another vote for Blue Sludge. The regular Sludge is what I use on 1/16 and 3/32 mandrels 'cause it's much easier to get them off.
Old 2015-08-20, 10:59pm

Thanks Sharon! You mentioned what you used at last weekend's NorCal meeting, but I couldn't remember what it was.

*** I need to start carrying around a little paper notebook (like in the good 'ol days) for jotting down bits of wisdom notes when my phone is dead!
Old 2015-08-21, 6:43am
I fart diamonds

OR, you can just make cabs without the mandrel. No release to clean!

http://hotglasschick.com/stuff/2015/02/26/cabochons/

(Ignore the part at the end where I drop it multiple times. I'm usually not holding it for the camera shot, so that's not a common occurrence, lol.)

Tags
bead release, cab mandrels