Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-08-29, 3:11pm

Default Interested in color charts?

I have made a couple color charts ( real glass beads wired to card stock ) for my self as reference, and so that friends and family can quickly pick out colors that they like, without touching my stash!

I find I really like making these, and am wondering if there is an interest from other lamp workers who might want one as well.

I have kept mine small, so they fit neatly into a binder, and can stand on the shelf. I know that glass companies today are constantly doing these odd lots and special limited runs. Those would have to be discussed further, or simply left out, or separate 'volumes'.

So, please, chime in!
Would you want a color chart? If so, what format, bead, paddle, cut rod? What would you pay for one?
Have you ever seen one for effetre or CIM, that wasn't a color poster?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
Old 2015-08-30, 1:56pm

You may get some inspiration from some of the older bead sample cards, and how they are made. I have a collection that I am putting online.
Purely for colors, and not also about shapes for design and such, I have only seen actual sample cards for Devardi glass and Czech glass.

http://www.beadmuseum.com/samplecards/index.html
Old 2015-08-30, 3:29pm
MacGalver

I still have a binder of Effetre short rod samples in plastic sleeves, bought it from Arrow Springs when I first started (1992-93?). It was the only way to know what colors they had available at the time, and the sample book cost $35 as I recall. The ends of all the striking colors were struck, and that was helpful.

Honestly, I use that chart very rarely, and at this point it is pitifully out of date, but it is interesting to see how many new colors there are that I don't have samples of!

I finally had to replace the insert sheets because the plastic was cracking. I've considered redoing it with all the colors not shown, but I'm too busy to mess with it and I usually know what to order because I know what I'm running out of... every once in a while I do physical inventory of how many rods I have in each color, but mostly I order by feel.....

Somewhere online I've also seen images of rod sample cards where the rods were glued to a heavy cardboard backing, similar to what Floor has on her site for beads.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-09-01, 7:55am

Yes, that is the sort of thing I am talking about, just simple beads wired to an attractive backing, with the effetre or vetrofond numbers next to them. I love my Devardi one, as people can choose colors they like very quick, but my effetre one is pretty incomplete! Lol... Since I have received so little interest, I guess I will just make them for myself!!

Thanks tho!
Old 2015-09-03, 2:12pm
It's all about the color.

I have 17 4" binders full of beads I've made to test many of the colors as frit. Other tests I've done (pearl powders, color mixing, enamels) I have strung on a cord and they hang from hooks that look like fingers in my studio. You can see them all via the link in my signature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)