Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Do you label your stringer?
Yes - always 0 0%
Depends on my mood 3 3.45%
Sometimes 23 26.44%
No, that is insane. 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-13, 4:35pm
Melody of Glass

Default Do you label your stringer?

Do you label your stringer?

I have just finished labelling most of my glass and am kicking the idea around of labelling the stringer but it seems excessive. Wondering what everyone else does.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-13, 5:20pm
FatCat Mama

I do, but only in special cases such as silver glass or 96 COE (I usually work in 104).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2012-10-13, 5:38pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I voted no, but I should add I don't label my glass, either. The bin the glass is in is labeled, and the test tube the stringer goes in is labled, but individual bits? Life is too short!

L-111

Old 2012-10-13, 6:49pm
dances with ideas...

I don't, but I have a storage system where I keep each color (or a couple of easily distinguished ones) in a 2 x 2-inch tube. I'm too lazy to label individual rods but I have a chart for what is in each tube.

So ... I use oversized straws to corral the stringers and place them in with the rods of the same type. Sorry for the crappy phone picture, but I hope you can see the blue band at the bottom of the stringer container.

Disclaimer--This is something I originally learned for carrying small amounts of spices for backpacking. Take a straw and cut off a bit to use as a band. Fold the end of the straw up, then scrunch it so you can slip the band over it. This seals one end. If you wanted to use it to store spices or frit you could add a band at the other end. And you can write on the straw if you wish.

Hope this makes sense. I think it's a cool idea with probably a lot more uses than I've imagined.
Attached Images

Old 2012-10-13, 7:13pm
Salt Box Beads

I voted no because I don't label the stringer or twisties themselves, but I do label the tray they are in... I bought these jumbo straws and they fit perfectly in the ice tray tubes.

This way I can pull much longer stringers in case I want to wind stringer all the way around a bead several times without a break. This photo was taken June 10th 2009 right after I created them and they were pretty empty, but they are full of stringers now.
Attached Images

Old 2012-10-13, 7:20pm
beads....mmmm

I label them if they're mixed glasses. I want to remember the recipe if needed. lol I do keep stringers in different jars, by color.

::
Old 2012-10-13, 8:05pm
Sheila Davis Designs

The only time I label is if I made a bead with certain colors, like for flowers, then I bundle them and use a barbell jewelry tag to wrap around them and label. I do keep certain ones seperate, like intense black, metallic black, and all the DH goes in one jar. ( I buy shooters at the thrift store...honest)

Old 2012-10-14, 2:30am

I voted sometimes because I do not always sort them and I don't label the single stringer. I have a system simimlar to Lorraines but because I have hundreds of different colors I recently started to just put my stringers where the glass rods are. The straw idea appeals to me, that would reduce the risk of breakage between the rods.

Kreszentia

My Etsy-Shop:
- selling worldwide for 5 Euros s&h flat
My Homepage:

My facebook:
Old 2012-10-14, 2:38am

I voted sometimes because I do not always sort them and I don't label the single stringer. I have a system simimlar to Lorraines but because I have hundreds of different colors I recently started to just put my stringers where the glass rods are. The straw idea appeals to me, that would reduce the risk of breakage between the rods.

Kreszentia

My Etsy-Shop:
- selling worldwide for 5 Euros s&h flat
My Homepage:

My facebook:
Old 2012-10-14, 6:57am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

My life is too short to be labelling stringer, I don't label rods either, just leave the one rod that comes with a label on it for last.

My stringers are in coffee jars, I have one for intense black, one for standard colours, one for DH colours, one for reactive twisties & one for ordinary twisties. The only ones that have a label on them are the reactive twisties that I labelled for the twistie exchange so I knew what was in them!

Old 2012-10-14, 7:16am
Now part of the Dark Side

^^ This.
Old 2012-10-14, 7:32am
Nikki Haverstock

In some of my beads I use fancy enameled stringers and they are in tubes that are labeled but individually no.

Old 2012-10-14, 2:06pm

I label all my glass, I am admittedly OCD, so its only natural. I use 104, 90, and 33, so I need to keep tabs on what's what. My stringers are only labeled in groups, not individually like the rods. I started doing it after trying like mad to reduce a set of raised dots that I thought was a DH color.
Old 2012-10-14, 5:29pm
Melody of Glass

Some great ideas in here. I love both the straw ideas.

I also saw a good idea in another forum (apologies to whomever I should be attributing credit) to store labelled rods of each of the colours used to make the twistie with that twistie. Labeling your twisties is probably a whole new poll!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-10-15, 12:27am

I keep my stringers in ice cube tube trays. I just group basically by color-greens, blues, reds, etc.

No labels.

I keep a separate rack of silvered ivory or petal canes.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-10-16, 5:06am
Scientific Glass Girl

i use an old test tube holder, it has 14 tubes. also, i only pull 14 colors at a time, with enough variation that you can pretty much tell the difference. (for example, i wont pull cobalt blue and triton to have on the bench at the same time.)

Old 2012-10-16, 11:19am
burnin' glass just becuz

nope... at most i separate them by opaque vs transparent vs silver glass. after that it's just luck and hope to goodness i remember what they are. sometimes it's a lovely surprise, sometimes not so much.

If i really care about having a particular colour, i just make more. same goes for twisties.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-10-16, 12:51pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

What Evelyn said, plus sorting unused stringer by ROYGBVN (N is for neutral = black, white, grey) in 1/2 inch pvc tubes squeezed inside a coffee can.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-10-16, 1:47pm
...displaced ocean lover

Red face

I voted no-yer-outta-yer-mind (or whatever that category was)
... but then realized I DO pull SIS or Mermaid Hair Twisties or Ribbon Cane for flowers and put them in their own little containers, much like Shelia, Lorraine and others.

So yeah, I lied ....can I copyright that?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-10-16, 2:11pm
offically down under

I don't label bought stringer and the handpulled stringer gets separated into recycled jars. I have a jar for murrini, fancy stringer, silver glass, and regular stringer.

Old 2012-10-16, 2:15pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post
i only pull 14 colors at a time, with enough variation that you can pretty much tell the difference. (for example, i wont pull cobalt blue and triton to have on the bench at the same time.)
THIS^^^^^ b/c Triton makes scary turtle eyes!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-10-17, 4:37am
Scientific Glass Girl

it would happen that i'd comment in a thread like this, and then go make a bead and do the most dumbass thing. i had opal yellow pulled and it happened to fall into the copper green pile of stringer, so i have an EDP bead with all copper green scrolls and about four OY. dang it!

Old 2012-10-17, 6:12am

i don't label my stringer (or my rod for that matter) but i do have several different mason jars on my table. one jar is single color stringer, another is layered colors (for compression marbles) and yet another is twistys.
i do really need to organize my glass stash though.
Old 2012-10-18, 11:02am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post
it would happen that i'd comment in a thread like this, and then go make a bead and do the most dumbass thing. i had opal yellow pulled and it happened to fall into the copper green pile of stringer, so i have an EDP bead with all copper green scrolls and about four OY. dang it!
I'd laugh but then I keep remembering the zombie turtle eyes!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-10-18, 4:14pm
Artistically Absorbed

I have some I do. I use test tubes though, so I just label the tube and sometimes put 2 or three different stringers in a tube that are easy to distinguish from each other. As for the rest I have a huge antique glass candy jar, and it looks like a bouqet of colorful stringers!
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-10-18, 4:32pm
Steph

I label my rods, but not my stringers - although I love the idea of putting them in straws and then with the original rods - I never thought of that! Thanks for the tip!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2012-10-18, 8:33pm
Bead semi-newbie

i have a 48 test tube rack with tubes and i label the tubes, although i have done it, stringers too small to label in my book.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-10-18, 10:54pm
I'm meeeeelting

I don't label mine, but I primarily use black, white, and maybe 3 or 4 other colors. For other colors, I mostly pull stringer as I go and save whatever's left over for beads where it doesn't matter whether I have an exact color. The only colors of commercial stringer that I buy are black and white and that's because I use enough of it at that thickness to make it worth the time savings when I can find a good sale.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-10-19, 3:40pm
Practicing perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
I voted no because I don't label the stringer or twisties themselves, but I do label the tray they are in... I bought these jumbo straws and they fit perfectly in the ice tray tubes.

This way I can pull much longer stringers in case I want to wind stringer all the way around a bead several times without a break. This photo was taken June 10th 2009 right after I created them and they were pretty empty, but they are full of stringers now.
I don't label stringer, but have thought about it. I think this one is a great idea along with the test tubes with the tubes labeled. I do label my rods though.

Old 2012-10-21, 3:54pm

I don't label stringers but silver glass ones I melt the end & shape it. Some are just squashed, some are rounded, some are just flattened like a nail head & I strike or run the end through a reducing flame... I also try to keep them in different small containers but altering the ends makes the ones I drop on the desk easy to identify

I 'brand' my clear stringers also.

Kerry