LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-21, 1:08pm

I wish I could make dichro do something besides fizzle out to white specks. Just a simple, round pendant backed with the cool colors of dichro. I guess I'm going to have to find a class, bc I can't find any books with it. Bummer!
Old 2007-03-21, 1:16pm
Covered in glitter

Angie, at least you get white specks! I just get grey muck! LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-03-21, 2:28pm

Something I happened on while playing around one day... hopefully this will help...I was rolling/marvering a bead in my Zoozi SSL press to see what I would get and made a barrel. I just laid a foot print the length of the cavity and added glass to make it the size I wanted and then gently rolled it. I believe a regular lentil press would do also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie View Post
I would love to know how to make a basic "barrel bead"
i know simple but i cant do it LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-21, 6:11pm

I wished I could make the pendants that have a glass loop with no mandrel use. It's what got me interested in lampworking to begin with. I wanted to learn to make those. I've read several tuts and still haven't even tried. I'm a visual learner, reading the steps, I don't think I can do it. Anyone know of a good video demostrating this technique?

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2007-03-22, 12:11am
Outrigger Captain!

I wish I could get my !@#$%$ Kronos to strike. I have read & tried everything, and still have no idea how to do it consistently. Sometimes I see it start to strike, and then it turns to yuck. The few beads that did turn that beautiful blue-turquoise happend for no apparent reason. Stupid Kronos. (or is it ME?)

Old 2007-03-22, 1:28am
Frit frit and more frit!

The Baleen technique Michael Barley uses - I'd love to be able to do that. Oh, and bloomin' loops on pendants..actually anything off mandrel would be good!
Old 2007-03-22, 1:44am
hooked, completely!!!

i just wish i could do ANYTHING other than twisties.... but thats what muh hunny bunny taught me - so that what i do!!!!

Old 2007-03-22, 3:17am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Carolyn I'll make you a trade. I'll receive your stamen stringer skills, and you'll get my kronos striking skills ( wich is actually quite easy, what torch are you on?0

Old 2007-03-22, 5:25am
addicted to dichro

Faceting and silver coring and caping beads. Actually I'd be happy if I just had the SUPPLIES. I also love those lotus flower style beads like Anastasia's. Kim Miles has her own style of them too.

Old 2007-03-22, 5:41am
Glass my new Obsession

I want to learn electroforming! I hope someday I can sneak a kit into my budget without hubby seeing it LOL!
Tina

Old 2007-03-22, 5:53am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post
I wished I could make the pendants that have a glass loop with no mandrel use. It's what got me interested in lampworking to begin with. I wanted to learn to make those. I've read several tuts and still haven't even tried. I'm a visual learner, reading the steps, I don't think I can do it. Anyone know of a good video demostrating this technique?
I'm working on just such a video right now. I had intended to put out a DVD, but I'm thinking now I may just put the videos on our web site or something. Still looking into the bandwidth issues, so I haven't made my decision yet. I may just stick them up on YouTube or something...

Old 2007-03-22, 5:54am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

oh that is a good one too, electroforming, I'd love to do this one day, and silversmitthing

Old 2007-03-22, 9:01am
as in the state

Ooh, I second silversmithing! I so wanna learn how to do that.

As far as glass stuff....hwo to pull a thick stringer (mine are ALWAYS too thin..), florals, stringer control... you know, all those basics that PPP usually takes care of. I just wanna know it NOW.

-Amy
Old 2007-03-22, 1:03pm
I'm a lilac!

I'd like to learn some basic silversmithing too! I admire the silver and glass work I see from others, and hope to someday take a class.

Old 2007-03-22, 3:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I'm working on just such a video right now. I had intended to put out a DVD, but I'm thinking now I may just put the videos on our web site or something. Still looking into the bandwidth issues, so I haven't made my decision yet. I may just stick them up on YouTube or something...
ooooohhh let me know when you do! I so want to learn this technique!!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2007-03-22, 4:29pm
Karma-believe it, live it

butterfly murrini
Old 2007-03-22, 4:44pm

Yep Murrini is top of my list ... but I have all the electroforming stuff just have not had the courage to get it out and do anything with it.

I would love to do those florals and those inside out beads etc etc ... thank heavens there's always something to learn or I would get very bored!

Old 2007-06-17, 11:18am
Redbearmountain

Hello, Being a fairly new beadmaker only three years there is alot of techniques I would like to learn. I would most like to learn about encasing and using frit and raku and making organic looking beads! Jacque
Old 2013-11-12, 7:48am
DaveK

My daughter asked if I could do a lotus flower pendant and I said sure. Then I tried it a couple of times, failing. Then I searched for a thread on here and came up with thousands of results because some glasses have lotus in the name. Then I did a Google search. Then I did an Etsy search. I found no lampworked lotus flower pendants. At least nothing I considered to look like a lotus flower.

Is there a tutorial floating around out there or are those concave pointy petals impossible to do? At this point I would just be happy to see an example of a lampworked (imploded or encased) lotus.

You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2013-11-12, 8:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post
id love to be able to do these
ro
What Ro said - DITTO! LOL
Old 2013-11-12, 8:40am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
What Ro said - DITTO! LOL
I guess this is my punishment for not starting a new thead, a reply to a comment on an unrelated technique from six years ago. LOL
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2013-11-12, 8:51am
Loving learning

I wonder if anyone sells a murrini with a lotus look?

But now you've made me want to try
Old 2013-11-12, 9:12am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I wonder if anyone sells a murrini with a lotus look?

But now you've made me want to try
From my efforts with implosions, a Murrini might be easier. From looking at Etsy the market is wide open. You might consider one with the "Om" symbol in the middle too.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2013-11-13, 8:44am
Dazed and Confused

As much as making perfect Murrini would be awesome, for me it is

Hollow Beads.

Its a lost art for me. As in I never had it in the first place
Old 2013-11-13, 9:21am

Kim Miles does VERY nice lotus beads.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kim+...w=1680&bih=815

Old 2013-11-16, 6:42pm
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinj View Post
Kim Miles does VERY nice lotus beads.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kim+...w=1680&bih=815

Those are nice. I wish I could do that in a marble.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2013-11-17, 5:34am

I wish I could strike silver glass. It all turns out awful for me.

Old 2013-11-17, 10:33pm
Fried Cat

http://zbeads.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/whiny-wednesday/

I think this is a good example of a lotus layer bead. Lay down a base, first layer petals, melt in, pull a point on the petals, melt in, encasement, second layer, etc.
Old 2013-11-18, 6:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
I wish I knew how to make beads.
You beat me to that line, lol

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2013-11-19, 6:57pm
too many rods in the fire

I would love to make murrini or ANYTHING Loren Stump makes!!! Hoping to take a class with him someday...