No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2010-08-11, 6:01pm
bryntaran

Question

I will be going and taking a class--Boro Bead Blast I. I haven't done any beadmaking for months-life has gotten in the way big time, but am so looking forward to my class. I only live about 25 minutes west of K of P, so it will be fun to be able to go to something so close to me.
This is my first class, (besides my beginner class where everything was supplied) and I have never done any boro. Stupid question....... On my supplies list they say to bring mandrels-I assume they can't be dipped at home, but do I bring bead release from home and dip them there? Also, it says bring favorite tools, any suggestions other than the ones it requires? Also, can/should I bring my Creation Station?
Sorry for all the dumb newbie questions but any tips you can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks so much, Judy
Old 2010-08-11, 7:09pm
AKA: Noodlesaurus

judy... creation station is really not going to work there.... but YEs you will want to dip your mandrels at home and have the ready to go.. class will begin shortly after you arrive and they will not have time to dry... Just use a coffee can with sand in it to hold the up right, if that is not what you normally use....tools... just bring along any thing that you liked to use when you were able to get a few beads made... ENJOY!!! It will be fun....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2010-08-12, 10:10am
bryntaran

Thanks for answering my newbie questions. I had read on one of the LE threads where someone said they took their CS to all of the classes they took, but as I think of it, they were probably at a local studio. I thought it would be kind of a pain to bring it along to Bead Fest, so thanks for clearing that up. Should be lots of fun especially since I haven't done this before, so I am really looking forward to next week, Judy
Old 2010-08-12, 11:41am

Smile

Definitely don't forget your dydinimums, Judy. That boro flame will be unforgiving. Have fun!

Old 2010-08-12, 6:03pm
Fusing Glass

I will be there selling too so you all drop in and say Hello! I will be in Jerry and Nori's booth, Retro glass tools.
Old 2010-08-13, 5:30am

Smile

Hey Mary! You'll be around the corner from me! It will be nice to see you again.....we just don't get too many 'get togethers' in the Chicago area, do we?

See you in a week!!

Old 2010-08-14, 4:09pm
Fusing Glass

Hi Ofilia! I look forward to seeing you again! And no we dont seem to do we, with so many of us here!
Old 2010-08-14, 5:01pm
Dangerous Woman

bryntaran I take my CS to every class I take. It has never been a problem. I am just so used to using it that I'm kinda lost without it. I just make sure to take a c-clamp and a screwdriver just incase.

I can't believe that Beadfest is this week already!! I need to get my act together and get the stuff I need for class together! A couple of years ago a bunch of us got together for dinner and we had fun. Anyone interested in that?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-08-14, 6:30pm
Fusing Glass

I may need an assistant, anyone live in the area want to make some $$$?
Old 2010-08-15, 8:13am
bryntaran

Nancy, thanks for the info. It can't hurt to take my CS with me can it? Having never gone to one of these classes, I am getting pretty excited about the whole thing.
And Mary, if I hadn't just moved my 90+ year-old parents in with me and was trying to empty, clean, and paint their old house to put on the market as soon as possible, I would love to help you out. Maybe if you are here next year, since I only live about 25 minutes away. Judy
Old 2010-08-16, 5:08pm
Fusing Glass

WHAT was I thinking going alone???? Keep me in your thoughts! I hope I am so busy I cant think straight! see you all there!
Old 2010-08-16, 5:12pm
Dangerous Woman

Mary I'm gonna be there thurs and fri for a class. I was planing on Colby to shop on Sat. I could help on sun I guess. There are others closer than me would bet. Let me know.

Old 2010-08-16, 7:52pm
Fusing Glass

Hey Nancy! come see me when you shop, I am hoping to be real busy I have so many new findings with me! I can let you know better, but usually i have a bunch of busy workers with me, and this time it is only me!
Old 2010-08-17, 9:13am

Ross and Cody left this morning to go get all the classes set up, and our booth. Don't forget to stop by and say hello!

Old 2010-08-17, 8:50pm

Soft Flex will be there (booths 433 & 532, right next to Ofilia - that way we can keep an eye on her to make sure she behaves )

Hope to see a bunch of you there!

Jenny

Old 2010-08-18, 12:16am
Fusing Glass

Oh Jenny you have your work cut out for you then! bwahahhah, see you there!
Old 2010-08-18, 10:28am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennW View Post
Soft Flex will be there (booths 433 & 532, right next to Ofilia - that way we can keep an eye on her to make sure she behaves )

Hope to see a bunch of you there!

Jenny
What?... "Misbehave"?... ME........ NEVER!

Hey, bring some of those pretty stone beads again! You guys have very good taste on gemstones. Say "hey" to Mike and Scott for me. I miss seeing them.

Old 2010-08-18, 1:18pm

so, they moved ABR upstairs!!!

we have 3 booths now!

Old 2010-08-18, 8:53pm

Thanks for the update. I had planned on ABR being one of my first stops!!! Got my shopping list ready!!

Old 2010-08-19, 5:07am

Yea! Vendor set up this morning, I'm ready with frit!

I'll see you all there. I'm sharing a booth with Noodlesaurus (Kris Schaible) at "Hye on Bead's" triple-booth, upstairs!

Val

Old 2010-08-19, 7:22am
My lab pups - Mojo & Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Cox View Post
Yea! Vendor set up this morning, I'm ready with frit!

I'll see you all there. I'm sharing a booth with Noodlesaurus (Kris Schaible) at "Hye on Bead's" triple-booth, upstairs!

Val
Great Val! Looking forward to seeing you again. I'll be on my way early Friday morning!

|
|

Old 2010-08-19, 6:01pm

Oh Oh Val will be there with Frit. There goes my budget.

I've been oodling over Rio Nights!!! I'll be there bright and early as well (like right after opening!!)

Old 2010-08-20, 3:33am
BeadsonCypress

whoo hooo.....on my way in an hour....can't wait, can't wait.. Like a Christmas Party for me!!!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-08-22, 6:10am
Formerly Kellyhorton

On my way to beadfest, was gone for a week but came back early so I wouldnt miss it. Mom just got out of a nursing home after a rehab stay due to a boating accident and I went home to help her. She was not impressed I was leaving early to go to a bead show, Im like MOM, this isnt any BEAD SHOW. All my LE'r peeps are gonna be there!!!!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-08-22, 6:41am
BeadsonCypress

What a GREAT show!! I finally got to meet Val Cox!! Josh Mazet was there along with my buddies from ABR (Ross, Cody and Dave) visited with David Christensen and Lori Copeland flew by on a break from class. Of course, I can't forget Ofilia and the Fire Ladies Glass group who are going to Italy with Ofilia in mid-september. You should see their electroforming.

I really, really was good to me.....I got like 6 presents for me and some new presses from Ross, glass from Ross and Wale (they didn't bring much tho) a bunch of neat pendants from David. Dave from ABR does these amazing beads that he facets down to the softest, smoothest finish so you can see what's inside (reasonable too!) some new frit from Val (she says is "BETTER THAN RAKU" now, how can that be???)

Wow what a great time. Even got to meet Stephanie Maddalena at the teacher's reception thanks to Ofilia You should see her work in person! I got a key necklace from Ofilia, but should have bought another of those fishies.....well there is next year!

Next year we should get an "LE Group" gathering spot so we can meet each other!!!

Huggs to all!

Susan

Old 2010-08-22, 6:08pm

What a fun time! Susan--it was fantastic to meet you too! ~wave~ Thanks for stopping by, and all that enthusiasm you showed!

I loved seeing so many old friends and meeting some I've only had the pleasure to know online. I saw some amazing glass art, and displays from so many talented flameworkers under one roof! It's been too many years since I visited Beadfest, I'll make an effort to attend, and participate more regularily in the future.

The talented Kris Schaible was kind and generous enough to let me share her booth, and offered me those much needed breaks while I ran downstairs for another one of those orange-pineapple smoothies. (Did anyone else try those? ...I couldn't stay away!) I'm going to miss the last couple months of prep and planning visits and emails!

It was a great weekend!

Val

Old 2010-08-23, 8:07pm
Dangerous Woman

I got to meet Val! And I saw some people I met at the Gathering. I took a great class with Suzan Lenhart Kazmer. Again I spent waaaaaay to much money! I better get busy making stuff to sell so I can start saving for next year.

Susan a year or two ago a bunch of us met at closing time on Friday then went to dinner and then the Meet the instructors thingie. We had a blast! I would do that in a minute.

I got a speeding ticket on the way home. Every year DH tells me to get a hotel room. It would have been cheaper than the ticket. Next year I will be getting a room. I may need a roommate. So keep that in mind for next year ya'll.

Old 2010-08-24, 12:58am
BeadsonCypress

Yep we stayed over and a new thing...the Radison puts a comparison chart of room rates on the back of your bill. The Beadfest rate was awful. Tavelocity and Expedia bookers got the best rates like $121/Beadfest vs. $79 for Travelocity!!! Next year we are going to have to check around. Who would have thought??
Susan

Old 2010-08-24, 1:40pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsoncypress View Post
Yep we stayed over and a new thing...the Radison puts a comparison chart of room rates on the back of your bill. The Beadfest rate was awful. Tavelocity and Expedia bookers got the best rates like $121/Beadfest vs. $79 for Travelocity!!! Next year we are going to have to check around. Who would have thought??
Susan
Hi Susan, that's a great tip! You only stayed one night, right? Did you book it long ago? With us vendors, we have to book several nights (4 on average), and far in advance, or as in our cases, the Scanticon runs out fast, so we default to book at the Radisson. It could be that the 'leftover' rooms are the ones with the bargain rates (?). As vendors, we cannot chance getting stuck elsewhere, we like the conveniece of being there. But I definately will play around with shopping before next booking time! How did you like your Sleep Number bed? I finally found my number, LOL.

Old 2010-08-24, 1:46pm
sunscreen me baby

My daughter and I stayed at the Marriot Courtyard for $109 a night. It was the best Marriot Courtyard I have ever stayed in. They had a bistro type restaurant right in the lobby and served Starbucks. Plus free internet and a decent pool, we were very happy. I will stay there again in the Spring.

~