Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-22, 12:15pm
too many rods in the fire

Another "fingers crossed" vote for somewhere in CA!!! San Diego would be amazing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-07-12, 7:31am
Resident Luny

Didn't they say it would be announced by now?

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2014-07-12, 7:34am
Etched Metal Rocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse View Post
Didn't they say it would be announced by now?
I imagine it will be announced next week while this year's event is going on.

Old 2014-07-12, 7:43am

Problem with Hawaii is, I don't think you could get any vendors to go, shipping product there would be horrendous. It would have to just a Gathering of people.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-07-12, 10:19am
Flame Dames Rule!

They traditionally announce the new venue at the Biz meeting at the Gathering. Still crossing fingers for Portland/Seattle/SanDiego/BayArea/LA/Venice/Murano/Hawaii/Copenhagen/Barsoom....

updated to add: Why Barsoom? Tharks have 4 arms, think how many brracelets we could sell!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2014-07-12 at 10:21am.
Old 2014-07-12, 1:46pm
I'm meeeeelting

I think you're on to something with Barsoom. ROFL. Great bead bazaar potential.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-07-14, 11:16am
Ad astra per aspera

Sedona sure would be nice. Much cooler than Phoenix and plenty of local-ish helpers.

Old 2014-07-14, 11:41am
JennyD

I would love it to be somewhere around the SF Bay Area! the money spent for flight and hotel would be then used for goodies lol. Las Vegas would be great too lol. Never been to Oregon so Portland would be cool, short plain ride as well.

...I'd rather be beading!

Old 2014-07-14, 12:03pm

Crossing my fingers for Portland!
Old 2014-07-14, 8:33pm
offically down under

How about a bit further west -like Sydney

Old 2014-07-15, 4:35am

Sydney is a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that??
Old 2014-07-15, 1:58pm
Shelarious

I'm voting for Jamaica.

Old 2014-07-15, 4:56pm
Angel's Mom

Yeah, Jamaica!!!

Life is short. Melt glass!
Old 2014-07-15, 8:23pm
I'm meeeeelting

They should put their money where their mouths are on the International part of ISGB.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-07-17, 8:26pm
Angel's Mom

I'm hearing it's in Albuquerque.

Life is short. Melt glass!
Old 2014-07-18, 7:51am
Gay rights R human rights

Is it bad I'm already checking flights to Albuquerque? Yeesh!

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2014-07-18, 1:48pm

Albuquerque is the place. Not truly west coast in my opinion. Wish it was going to be in Seattle or Portland, I was hoping for an excuse to head west.
Old 2014-07-18, 1:54pm
JennyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbisker View Post
Albuquerque is the place. Not truly west coast in my opinion. Wish it was going to be in Seattle or Portland, I was hoping for an excuse to head west.
Yep its more MidWest south if you ask me lol if that makes sense!

I was hoping for somewhere north from me as well but, hey never been to NM so if I do get to budget it in it will be an experience!

...I'd rather be beading!

Old 2014-07-18, 2:12pm

I have to say I'm pretty surprised it's in a state right next door to this year's Gathering.
Old 2014-07-18, 5:34pm

I have been to 5 I think. One thing I like is that they were always in different places. Places that I would otherwise not go to. I liked Portland the best. It is hot in the summer everywhere so that doesn't bother me. Especially after the 100 degree days here.I hope the committee stays away from the high rise buildings with the open elevators!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-07-18, 6:18pm

New Mexico? After just being in Texas? Bummer, too hot and too far for me to travel.

Old 2014-07-18, 6:57pm

I'm excited about it! I love New Mexico. And OMG shopping at Rio Grande and IJS!
Old 2014-07-18, 7:21pm
Lifelong Student

I have started saving up to go. Any bead/jewelry sales I make goes toward my fare and expenses. My only problem is a get lost super easy. I would need to tag along with someone...anyone interested in having a buddy next year?
Old 2014-07-19, 6:22pm
Ad astra per aspera

I am sooooo excited! I can actually drive there, and it's one of my favorite cities. ABQ isn't THAT hot, it's a mile high! It's 100 in the Phoenix 'burbs today, and 89 in ABQ, though the forecast for this coming week IS kissing triple digits. But hey, we'll all be inside with hotter torches anyway!

I better make reservations for my favorite breakfast place now!

Old 2014-07-20, 9:56am
Shop Gnome to Earth & Sky

Albuquerque is a fun place, we travel there a couple of time a year (13 hour drive for us).
I am to understand the hotel will be “Hotel Albuquerque” http://www.hotelabq.com/ which is just north of Old Town by a few blocks.

Tiffany and I love to have breakfast at the Church Street Cafe which is on the north edge of Old Town and looks to be a couple of blocks from the hotel http://www.churchstreetcafe.com/

Under things to do, there's the Sandia Tram http://www.sandiapeak.com/ which is a fun outing, Indian Jewelers Supply http://www.ijsinc.com/ , Rio Grande jewelry http://www.riogrande.com/Home , and a short trip up interstate I-25 is Santa Fe (an easy day trip). Santa Fe Jewelers Supply http://www.sfjssantafe.com/

It's going to be fun!
Old 2014-07-20, 10:55am
Lifelong Student

Geary, how close is the airport to the hotel?
Old 2014-07-20, 10:58am
Lifelong Student

I have never been to a gathering. How does it work? There is an entrance fee right? does that fee include the cost for classes or is that in addition to the entrance fee? How does one enroll in classes? Are there meals provided? About how much do I need to save up for this event? How many beads do I make to take for exchanges? What do I take with me (equipment/tools)?
Old 2014-07-20, 11:15am

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  49.1 KB
So much fun!

Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!
Loving life and Lampworking

Old 2014-07-20, 1:20pm
Gay rights R human rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post
I have never been to a gathering. How does it work? There is an entrance fee right? does that fee include the cost for classes or is that in addition to the entrance fee? How does one enroll in classes? Are there meals provided? About how much do I need to save up for this event? How many beads do I make to take for exchanges? What do I take with me (equipment/tools)?
Mina,
The registration fee is for the conference and lectures and opening night reception. There is usually breakfast and lunch available on 2 of the days I believe.
Extras would include....
any classes you wanted to take
banquet
tours

You sign up for classes and hotel at the same time you register and pay for the conference.

Take your eyewear for sure. Any small personal tools (for open flame sessions). If you register for classes, they will tell you what tools to bring. Bring as many trade beads as you feel comfortable with.

As for spending money? Well that depends on your shopping list and willpower! The only gathering I have been to (Bellevue a couple of years ago) I spent about $4000. But I had fun. Took a wonderful class. (you will usually only take one as they all run at the same time, except for small evening classes). Bought some wonderful stuff. Ate well.

This year may be more expensive for me as I have to fly. I have started saving already.

Hope this answers some of your questions. I am by no means an expert on the gathering but these were my experiences. It was the time of my life.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2014-07-20, 1:47pm

I heard from Leslie who is at the gathering that it will be Albuquerque, NM