No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-04-19, 6:08pm
I need torch time!

Default MPS gass works!

I have tried the MPS gas and found it to be cleaner than propane for my beads. I still would prefer to use MAPP, however, it may simply be a matter of adjusting my work habits to suit the gas.
Old 2008-04-22, 12:05pm

I teach a class on hotheads and only heard about the discontinuation of Mapp when one of my students came to class last week with a canister of the Map-Pro instead. Guess that will teach me to keep a closer eye on the forums! The Map-Pro comes in a 1# yellow canister with a label that is very similar to the old Mapp label -- you might not notice the difference if you weren't paying attention to the printing. My student used it in class and said she couldn't tell any difference from the Mapp.

Margo
Old 2008-04-30, 1:35pm
I need torch time!

Default Love MPS Gas now!

Now that I have adjusted to the MPS gass I am no longer missing the MAPP gas. I am getting just as nice "beads" as I did on MAPP. Took about 2 sessions to adjust.
Old 2008-05-06, 8:41pm
Pyro Tyro

Question

What is MPS gas? Does it come in 1# canister?

- Jill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-06, 8:45pm

Used 1# Mapp-Pro canisters to teach a class this past Saturday - it worked fine. They were about $8 at the local Home Depot.
I typically use bulk propane with my Hot Head, and the results are to my satisfaction.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-05-08, 7:33am
Creatrixie

I've been paying $12 for a Bernz-o-matic MPS 1lb. cannister at Canadian Tire...
I can do about 8-10 small beads on that before I run out (still getting back into the swing of lampworking - working on my basic skills)
I'm definitely going to figure out a bulk gas solution to work with my HH. This stopping to warm up the tank every couple beads is for the birds!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2008-05-08, 6:14pm
I need torch time!

Default MPS gas is...

According to the canister: Methylacetylene Propadiene, Stablized.

Directly below that description on the lable is the following sentence, "Burns hotter than propane for welding, brazing and soldering."

It comes in a #1 canister. See attached photo.
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-09, 4:03pm

Default Map-Pro

I used the Map-Pro this week and it overheated my hothead torch and did terrible things to the color of the glass. Light sky blue glass came out reddish brown. After making three beads, I started smelling something funny. Then my flame went so low I couldn't melt the glass, while the torch overheated and turned a copper color. After I cooled down the torch and tried to use it with the regular old Mapp gas, it was still giving off fumes. I don't know if I'll be able to use it again or not.

I'm not impressed with the new gas. Isn't it supposed to be compatible with the torches designed for the old Mapp gas?
Old 2008-05-09, 4:12pm

Did you turn the torch up too high? I had myself and 2 new students using it and had no problems. It sounds like you were reducing the glass, so you may have been too low in the flame or just had it turned up too high.
Mary - The 1# canisters work, but they drove me crazy, too - just waste and cost. I'd go bulk, too.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2008-05-12, 7:31pm

The gas seemed to be too much for the torch, because I wasn't getting much of a flame yet the torch was overheating. Several students had problems with the color of the beads, too.
Old 2008-05-13, 8:40am

It seemed a bit hotter to me, but when I went home I realized the bulk propane tank I typically use was running out, so I thought that was the difference. We didn't have any problems - now I'm interested to hear other people weigh in...

~:
~:

~:

Old 2008-05-19, 11:07am

I taught a class using Map-Pro for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I do think it burns hotter, and I had to work much further out in the flame to avoid burning. Turning the torch down a little helped some, but was slower going. I also seemed to have a lot of trouble telling where I was in the flame. That's common for beginners, but I haven't had that problem in years. There's definitely a learning curve!

One other observation -- this was an intro class and one of the students brought a Fireworks torch she had been given as a gift so she could learn on that. That torch seemed to adapt much better to the Map-Pro, and didn't have any issues with burning that I could tell. I've often heard one downside of the Fireworks was that it doesn't burn as hot as the Hot Head, but maybe for this new gas that's a good thing? Unfortunately, I've also heard of problems with the Fireworks clogging up more quickly, so I don't know if that torch is a good long-term solution. Anyone working on a Fireworks torch who can give us some input?

Margo
Old 2008-05-19, 12:11pm
Pyro Tyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo K. View Post
I've often heard one downside of the Fireworks was that it doesn't burn as hot as the Hot Head, but maybe for this new gas that's a good thing? Unfortunately, I've also heard of problems with the Fireworks clogging up more quickly, so I don't know if that torch is a good long-term solution. Anyone working on a Fireworks torch who can give us some input?

Margo
I started on a Fireworks for a very short time, it was just tooo frustrating
It did not burn as hot as the HH AND it did clog up very visibly - and I had no idea how to clean it I gave up on it and got a HH (do you have to clean the HH? How?)

- Jill

Old 2008-05-19, 8:27pm

I've tried the Map-Pro, it seemed to burn hotter, I burned a few beads the first time or two I used it. I called every gas supplier in my area and could not find bulk MAPP (now I know why) but one welding shop told me I could use Argon gas. Said it was a clean gas like MAPP and burned hotter than propane. I can also buy it in bulk.

Cricket
Old 2008-05-20, 8:21am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
I've tried the Map-Pro, it seemed to burn hotter, I burned a few beads the first time or two I used it. I called every gas supplier in my area and could not find bulk MAPP (now I know why) but one welding shop told me I could use Argon gas. Said it was a clean gas like MAPP and burned hotter than propane. I can also buy it in bulk.

Cricket
Ummm.... Don't think so.... Are you sure they said Argon.... Argon is a inert gas and is NON-FLAMMABLE, it is used as a shield gas in TIG welding process plus many many other applications....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argon

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-05-21, 3:32pm

I have been useing the worthington pro grade map//pro for about 2 weeks now. It seems to be pretty much the same.
Old 2008-05-23, 8:34am

I have to say that I didn't notice a difference with the Mapp Pro cannisters. I even believe I got extra torch time than usual out of it because you can work much faster.
Old 2008-05-24, 7:43am
I wanna go back...

I just took a class yesterday and the instructor brought in Brazing Fuel to use with the HotHead. Canadian Tire carries it at $8.99 (in a black canister) as compared to Map-Pro (in a yellow canister) which is $11.99 for the same size. They were still selling Mapp till the other day! According to the chart hanging from the rack at CT, there is almost no difference in the burning temperature and while reading Cindy Jenkin's 'Making Glass Beads' that I purchased at the class yesterday, she says it is fine to use on pages 14 & 15, so I will be buying that for a bit. I'll let you know if I encounter any problems.

I am a real newbie, and have just started lampworking with a HotHead, but I couldn't find any difference after using both fuels. I may not be experienced enough to tell though.

I can still get Mapp in bulk here in Thunder Bay ON, but I am not ready to put out all that money at once till I find out just how much I will do. I need a better ventilation fan first... So today I will be outside as it is sunny with no wind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrea: A newbie with a HotHead, bulk MAPP and a Chili Pepper.
Old 2008-07-07, 10:17am

Here in the States, one of the most common suppliers of MAPP gas is BernzOmatic. One can usually find their small, 1# tanks of MAPP gas at most any hardware and home supply stores.

Hearing that MAPP gas (which I realize is a brand name, like Kleenix) was no longer going to be made, I contacted the people at BernzOmatic, asking if they would be still selling MAPP gas. Here is their reply:

Quote:
We will not be able to sell MAPP as it was a trademark item for
Petromont. In its place we are selling propylene fuel.
Propylene is another name for Propene (C3H6) (not to be confused with Propane (C3H8 )). I assume that BernzOmatic will be selling this in the 1# tanks.

Has anyone tried Propylene on a Hot Head?

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-07-07, 12:32pm
Yeah me!

My last 2 cans have beed map/pro and i honestly havn't noticed a real difference. It seems to burn the same to me.

I do have a question though... can i use canister propane with my fireworks torch?

Last edited by honey*bee; 2008-07-07 at 12:35pm.
Old 2008-07-07, 1:30pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
Here in the States, one of the most common suppliers of MAPP gas is BernzOmatic. One can usually find their small, 1# tanks of MAPP gas at most any hardware and home supply stores.

Hearing that MAPP gas (which I realize is a brand name, like Kleenix) was no longer going to be made, I contacted the people at BernzOmatic, asking if they would be still selling MAPP gas. Here is their reply:

Propylene is another name for Propene (C3H6) (not to be confused with Propane (C3H8 )). I assume that BernzOmatic will be selling this in the 1# tanks.

Has anyone tried Propylene on a Hot Head?

Malcolm
Yes.... There has been several thread where Propylene is mentioned with great success...

Another replacement for MAPP™ is the brand name "MAP-PRO™" which is Propylene in #1 cylinder also produced by Worthington Cylinders...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh....php?p=1900193

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...pic.php?p=1290

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-07-08 at 8:36am.
Old 2008-07-07, 1:45pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
My last 2 cans have beed map/pro and i honestly havn't noticed a real difference. It seems to burn the same to me.

I do have a question though... can i use canister propane with my fireworks torch?
Sure..... "Sweet spot" will be in different place in flame, and it may leave some soot or carbon in glass if you can't get flame adjusted correctly or find sweet spot....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-07-08 at 8:36am.
Old 2009-06-02, 7:01am
Lampworkings Newest!

hmmm check this out, the bottle clearly says Bernzomatic mapp gas and its in stock in my local farm & fleet might have to go stock up

http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/...66&h=050604002
Old 2009-06-02, 8:51am
old person/new member

cool. I use a HH and can't get Mapp here anymore. All the suppliers have switched to propylene. I don't notice much difference. Its still bloody expensive.

Old 2009-06-02, 11:40am
Lampworkaholic!

Chemtane (brand name for Propylene I believe) is another option for the HH, but plain old propane works just as well in my opionion, in bulk or in the blue 1 lb. cylindars. The down side is still how fast you use it up, unlike an oxy-propane set-up.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox