Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What do you think of your bead-coring tool?
Jim Moore's Bead Press - love it 84 23.01%
Jim Moore's Bead Press - on the fence 7 1.92%
Jim Moore's Bead Press - not happy with it 2 0.55%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - love it 20 5.48%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - on the fence 9 2.47%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - not happy with it 3 0.82%
Art in the Round's Impress - love it 88 24.11%
Art in the Round's Impress - on the fence 19 5.21%
Art in the Round's Impress - not happy with it 3 0.82%
Old fashioned dapping set and hammer 65 17.81%
Other 65 17.81%
Voters: 365. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-07-07, 12:04am

I was very surprised as I kept hearing that the Jim Moore tool, which is like the Nortel would only produce the flat look. I followed the instructions that Art in the Round provided for cutting tubing and this is what I came out with..a nice domed look. I thought this might have been a fluke and did a few more beads and they all came out the same. Now I will try using my bead caps on a couple of beads to see if I get the same look.

Waiting for my Art in the Round Bead lining tool so I will compare the two.
Old 2010-07-07, 8:00am
Broken

Jim's tool will do rounded if you following the directions for it, I've just never liked that look so I don't do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-07-10, 2:26pm
I'm a lilac!

Yes; whether it's domed or flat is user choice & depends on how long your cut the tubing, & how you finish it off. I do some of each.

Old 2010-08-01, 12:55pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Are there any videos anywhere out in internet land of the Impress in action?

Old 2010-08-25, 9:56pm

Here is the link to the Impress Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0BUn55TXm8
Here is the link to the Nortel Bead Liner Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKZJbaN0Qew
Not too sure what brand this bead liner is but here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjfJAZxczQ

I could not find a video tutorial for the Jim Moore Bead Press.

I have all 3 (Impress, Nortel and Jim Moore) and use them for various beads.

Old 2010-10-13, 10:11pm
Formerly FishBulb

Thanks for the links animagus! Those are incredibly helpful!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-12-02, 5:23pm
Ishum Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by animagusbc View Post
Here is the link to the Impress Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0BUn55TXm8
Here is the link to the Nortel Bead Liner Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKZJbaN0Qew
Not too sure what brand this bead liner is but here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjfJAZxczQ

I could not find a video tutorial for the Jim Moore Bead Press.

I have all 3 (Impress, Nortel and Jim Moore) and use them for various beads.
That last video is the Retro Glass tool.
Old 2012-06-11, 11:43am

Here is the Jim Moore video from his site
http://www.toolsforglass.com/catalog...ess_video.html
Old 2012-09-10, 8:26am
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebuff View Post
A while ago on this forum, someone posted information about how to make your own coring tool by using a large bolt/nut. You screw the nut onto the bolt down to the point where your bead would sit while putting the core in, then file the threading off of the bolt with a bastard file. You can use it in a vise. I couldn't commit to the price of a tool to do the coring because I just don't do it that much. Since I also do metal work, I had what I needed at my workbench to make this based on his instructions and it works like a charm!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelineBunyan View Post
that sounds like andrew's instructions, which is what I use. essentially the bolt tool thingy is just a stand for the bead and you use punches like making a tube rivet.

works well for me!
Anyone have a link, or know Andrew's last name so I can do a Google search?
Old 2012-09-10, 8:44am

here you go
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95388

Old 2012-09-10, 8:53am
Loving learning

Thank you!
Old 2013-06-05, 9:53am
Focus?

I just have to say .. if you're looking for a GREAT, INEXPENSIVE bead coring tool that comes with the BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! you really want to buy one of Dave's Art in the Round Impress tools.

I recently submitted a help request on his ticket system and within an hour I had support and resolution on my problem.

This bead coring tool is well made, flexible and does the job just as it should! I would not hesitate to order any of his tools.

A-62

Old 2013-07-28, 6:34am

I purchased a beautiful coring machine which arrived in its lovely little timber box. Have not used it yet. Been sitting in my workshop for 18 months. My problem is that I cannot find where to buy the hollow silver rods. Can anyone point me to a website for the hollow silver rods and also for the glue in type so I can get started on something different. Thanks a lot.
Old 2013-08-03, 8:34am

I have a great supply of Sterling Silver grommets on my Etsy. Moonbowglass.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraD View Post
I purchased a beautiful coring machine which arrived in its lovely little timber box. Have not used it yet. Been sitting in my workshop for 18 months. My problem is that I cannot find where to buy the hollow silver rods. Can anyone point me to a website for the hollow silver rods and also for the glue in type so I can get started on something different. Thanks a lot.

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-03-27, 8:00pm
I speak Murrini!

Ooo, Julie - you DO have some lovely stuff available! I especially love that leather bracelet!

@Barbara, if you're looking for the tube, check out our LE member Ginko - here's a link to her Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ginkodesig...der-item-count

~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2015-12-09, 7:28pm
Back to 👊 1

De!!! So good to see ya again!

Unfortunately I don't think Ginko is doing business these days.

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb