LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-03, 7:45pm

Default Organize shorts on Bench.....ideas?

Setting my new Torch up the bench, and it's easy to see my set up stinks... Of course I do realize keep class spots tidy is much eaiser (a least for me) when you have to pick them up after each class.
Well on to the real question there are shorts, nubbies and stringers all over the top of the bench in the various "ideas" I have tried to organize. But they end up just lose hanging on the top. Please ideas........

Thanks
Sue
getting ready for her new GTT Sidewinder
Old 2011-08-03, 8:00pm
offically down under

I have cans that I separate transparent and opaque and lauscha clear into. Eventually, I either putny them up, pull them into stringers. I usually do this when I've lost my mojo and need to melt glass to get me back into the groove.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-03, 8:22pm
Live and Let Live

I've eliminated about 1/2 of the 'shorts' I used to end up with this way:

When you start using a new (full) rod of a color you've already melted before, fuse the last labeled 'short' onto the end of the new rod. Now you can use up the entire new rod without creating another short. Plus you don't have to create another label either.

To prevent the joined bit from 'shocking' when the heat gets to it, gently pull apart on the 2 melted rod ends as the glass starts to set up. You want the join to be a bit narrower than the rod and the short are.

The other shorts are kept in a mesh tray on my workbench until I use a new rod of that color or need to pull a stringer.

Last edited by GlassGalore; 2011-08-03 at 8:31pm.
Old 2011-08-03, 10:04pm
Plumb

What she said^^

Old 2011-08-03, 10:30pm
I like to melt things

I keep my shorts in little tupperware bins, and when they get too full to put more shorts in, I do one of the following two things:
1) Challenge myself to make nice beads with nothing but shorts, and have a 'short party' at the torch for a couple of sessions
-or-
2) Find a local newbie and get rid of them so that I don't have to see them sitting on the shelf mocking me

I generally try to not create shorts by using stuff up during each session as it gets down to the last couple of inches, but inevitably there are a couple that need to go in the bins each time.

I save Clear shorts for when I'm out of crappy Clear because I use it to core my larger focals.

-
-
Old 2011-08-04, 4:03am
sunscreen me baby

I have a little cardboard box I throw mine in. One for each COE . Sometimes I try to use them up in flower cane, twisties, or simple one color beads. When they get overwhelming I give them away to a newbie.

~

Old 2011-08-04, 5:32am
Unmedicated since '62

I use shorts for punties when I'm pulling thick stringer and I do the same as Lisa, punty the short up to the next rod

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-08-04, 5:37am
Lampworkaholic!

They go into a small metal dish on my table. When I have a few, I make some simple BOC beads Act of Courage beads.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-08-04, 5:44am
Angie09

I don't have shorts any more since I bought Glenns' No Burn Your Fingers rod holder. I have 2 and I use all the rods down to nubs. Love their product!
Old 2011-08-04, 6:47am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
I don't have shorts any more since I bought Glenns' No Burn Your Fingers rod holder. I have 2 and I use all the rods down to nubs. Love their product!
I second that!

When I did have shorts I bought old coffee cups on the cheap from the thrift store and used those to separate color/clear/opaque/transparent along one edge of my bench (barley box kept them from falling off).

Old 2011-08-04, 7:19am

I use up my shorts later, either puntied up to a like rod, or pulling stringer, or in a rod holder, but I don't like to do it while I am in the middle of working on things. So, my shorts go in baby food jars or those little mustard jars on a table beside my torch bench. Some of them are just a mishmash of stuff, and some of them are separated, depending on the colors. I keep things I use a lot like copper green, opal yellow, etc. separated, as well as any silver glass, so that it is easy to find when I want it.

I love little jars.
Old 2011-08-04, 7:55am
Detail G-Mama!

I have mine in chinese take out containers! My shorts are getting used up daily until I can order more glass!

Old 2011-08-04, 9:22am
Jacqueline Parkes

I have containers for my shorts labeled according to manufacturer. I use them for creating twisties and they have been a godsend when I have run out of one of my favorite glasses. I use a rod holder and use them just like a full rod down to almost the end.

Old 2011-08-05, 11:26am
Crispy Critter

I pull a thick stringer on the end of the short and use it as a handle. That way I only end up with a 1/2" to 1" stringer, which I toss.

Old 2011-08-05, 12:01pm

I crush it into frit. I can't compete with professional blends yet but it keeps my bench somewhat clean. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all my little containers of crushed glass

Old 2011-08-05, 12:13pm
da General

At the end of each torching session, I join the shorts together or a short to a full rod the way Lisa does in post #3. If I am too rushed to finish up (usually because dinner is ready!), I put them all lined up on my bench to be joined at the beginning of the next session. I usually only use the rod down to no less than 2-3".

I used to put them aside and join them together later but found that it'd take too much time so I started making a habit of not leave any shorts around at all.

|
|
|
|