Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2013-08-10, 7:45pm
Flamewoman

Default Arrow Springs to the rescue!

Thank you so much Craig, and everyone at Arrow Springs
for getting my kiln/controller problems ironed out so fast!
Every thing is working great, fast service, got it right back
to me in less than a week, so happy!
And I love the new tools I got too! Can't wait to try those
button molds and shapers! The new mandrel that doesn't need
bead release looks interesting, will need to get some tips before
I try it, but I think I will really love it. Hate cleaning beads.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-08-10, 9:51pm

Wait what? Mandrels without release? Spill it.

Arrow Springs rocks and Craig and Donna are amazing.

Old 2013-08-10, 11:54pm
Naysayer

wow omg, I want to try one. But I wonder how hard it is to get the bead off, wouldn't want any marks. Also, I have to put my mandrels on a rack or I get fiber blanket fuzz
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eta "The most common way to control this separation is to attach a small glass punty to the bead and gently counter rotate the bead to the mandrel while the mandrel looses its red heat. The bead is now free to move about the mandrel. Now remove the punty and slide the bead into the annealer or fiber blanket."

I'm not that skilled at punties, I still have to remove marks in the flame after.

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2013-08-10 at 11:56pm.
Old 2013-08-11, 6:12am
All Zeke, all the time

this is what I found on the Arrow Springs site:

Beau Anderson Tungsten Mandrels
New Tool

Beau Anderson Tungsten Mandrels TN

1/16", 3/32" and 1/8" Tungsten Mandrels make smaller diameter bead holes than mandrels coated in mandrel release.

Revolutionary, no mandrel release required. Tungsten has long been used to rake and poke holes in glass, because of its ability to resist sticking to molten glass. However, get tungsten and glass hot enough and they do stick together. Apply heat properly to the tungsten and it releases. That is the basis by which Tungsten Mandrels are used.

We welded, end on end, a 3" section of tungsten to a 9" section of 1/8" stainless steel. The stainless stays cool to the touch, as a regular mandrel does. Tungsten conducts heat very well, so it cannot be held directly. Make your bead directly onto the tungsten area of the mandrel, without mandrel release. When the bead is completed, apply the flame directly to the mandrel, right next to the bead. If the tungsten fumes, back off the heat a little. The now red glowing tungsten is ready to separate from the glass bead. The most common way to control this separation is to attach a small glass punty to the bead and gently counter rotate the bead to the mandrel while the mandrel looses its red heat. The bead is now free to move about the mandrel. Now remove the punty and slide the bead into the annealer or fiber blanket. One mandrel of a size is all you need to continuously make beads. The tip of the tungsten is sharpened to a point. As is the nature of tungsten, handle it carefully. It does not bent, but rather can snap.
Old 2013-08-11, 7:49am

Beau Anderson also sells these mandrels on his website:

If you buy them from him they come with an instruction sheet.

He also presented this at the Gathering in Rochester and did a two day class pre-gathering. This is the link to the class description:

Personally, I think Beau should have had a book ready to sell at the same time as releasing these mandrels and this new technique. I suspect there is a learning curve to not have the bead self-release and getting it to release when you want it to.

I did not take the class, but during the presentation he showed how you can take the bead off the mandrel while still hot, flame polish the hole then kiln the bead. He also showed making two beads on the mandrel, then taking one off and hot attaching it to the first bead. Definitely possibilities to make multi-component bead combos without having to garage anything, or cool, clean and re-heat components.

Maybe someone who took his course will chime in on their experiences with this process.

Darrell
Old 2013-08-11, 3:51pm
Flamewoman

I am hoping for something on UTube, any body?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-08-13, 3:46pm

I just bought a couple of the tungsten mandrels. Hopefully I will be able to figure this out! It sounds awesome. I hate mandrel release!
Old 2013-08-13, 6:52pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I got one from Beau at the Gathering, and it was in the toolbox in my locked suitcase when I checked in at the airport, and NOT in the toolbox when I unpacked at home. They got my wire cutters and dental paddles, too. I'm pissed. Guess I'll order another one from Craig...

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2013-08-13, 10:17pm

Sharon, that absolutely sucks!
Old 2013-08-14, 1:56pm

I just made a few beads on the tungsten mandrels. I can see there is a little bit of a learning curve in getting them to come off but if I can do it anyone can.
Old 2014-06-17, 5:26am

Default another class on the use of tungsten mandrels happened recently at The Bead and Butto

The Tungsten Mandrel idea is handy for many reasons, there is a real trick to it however, Beau calls the technique liquid core because there is a releasing of the glass by heating the tungsten. with practice there can be a variety of new shapes and designs produced in this way , but longer barrel beads are not that easy. In Beaus recent class he demonstrated detailed disks, round and tabulated , and multiple bead beads , triangles , and scrunched folded beads, hand beads and an assortment of bottom heavy shapoes wich is another advantage , you can tug and cut and pull and the bead wont come off until you are ready.