No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-12-19, 11:32pm
Trying to Hope!

Default My Travel Trailer Studio IS FINISHED!!!! YIPPPEEEE

Okay so this is a work in progress. Right now I am finished gutting the trailer and have repaired the floor and walls.
Being a single mom money is always tight when i finally saved up enough to get my torch and glass I quickly could see working on the porch wasnt much fun. My cheap solution was to ask for a trailer on craigslist. Someone Gave me this one, the floor was rotted the walls were bowed but hey it was free. With some scrap plywood i also got on the list i fixed the floor and tore out all of the bowed paneling. I am using an old kitchen tabletop for my work bench and the original table with the trailer as a center base, then 2 side tables to make the benchtop go all the way acroxx 7.5 foot and 3 foot deep. That great divided cabinet was also on crgslst and it was free as well I am doing all of the work myself and the power will be one power strip rewired with a 50 foot cord to operate the lights ventalation and kiln. The venalation is going in tomorrow it one of the few original parts of the trailer I kept the bed that folds up. It makes a platform to attach all of the blowers and ducts and also a handy shelf. Keep a watch out as I pretty it up and make the little trailer into my own little space. i welcome any suggestions and critiques after all I am not really sure what i am doing other then making it work for me

Last edited by Wendyki; 2007-09-30 at 5:38pm.
Old 2006-12-19, 11:50pm

Go Woman! What a great idea!
Jen
Old 2006-12-20, 9:43am
no user title

I love ingenuity and creativity.. Great idea and HAVE FUN..

Jennie
Old 2006-12-20, 9:49am
Dichro Addict

I can't wait to see your progress!!! It looks great so far!!! Keep us posted!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-20, 10:03am
Mr Brutus RIP

Wendy your doing an awesome job!! Keep up the great work. I LOVE craigs list and freecycle lists too.......lots of great stuff and its nice when you just hate to throw things away!!
keep us updated!!
sue

Old 2006-12-20, 11:34am
Cancer SUCKS!

Looks great!

I suggest you paint the inside some fun and funky colors. Would look so cool.

Oh, another suggestion. We bought a small and I mean small trailer like that. It had some horrible leaks in it. My hubby gutted the whole thing and replaced what he could. Well we still had one leak.

He came up with the most brilliant idea. He went to a larger hardware store and bought that stuff you paint into a truck bed. Some places it's called Rhino Liner. It worked like a charm. He painted it all around the windows, the seams and anywhere that looked like there could be a potential leak.

Now all we have to do is give the outside a coat of paint and we are set.

Looks like you are doing a great job, btw!

Old 2006-12-20, 5:59pm
& your rubino rod too!

Thumbs up Traveling studio

Hi, my studio is a travel trailer too. My landlord would not allow any modifications to my house so I paid $50 for a trailer. I pulled out all of the interior paneling. (It is SO flammable, and I’d watched one to many safety videos!)
I lined the trailer with cement board. It was easy to find broken cement board for pennies, if you don’t care if some of it is tile board, and some of it is siding. I only bought one piece at full retail for the curved wall near my torch. I needed an ultra thin piece (1/4”) to be able to bend it (Soaked it in water first). My walls and floors are cement board, and the ceiling is coated with flame retardant paint.
I have a LOVELY skylight where my first ventilation system went through the roof (it leaked rain down my neck LOL.) I love it and it is my own space. I can even take it with me if I move, although not easily since it is leveled on block and tethered down.
OH YEAH! My only advice is that you will want to tie your trailer down. You have never lived until a strong wind hits the side of your trailer while you are working on a torch. Sort of a “Wizard of Oz” moment.
I can’t wait to see your project as it progresses!
Dana
Old 2006-12-20, 6:04pm
& your rubino rod too!

Oh, yeah... you might also have some trouble with a kiln on a 50' cord. If you have too much voltage drop between the source and the kiln it won't fire properly.
Old 2006-12-20, 10:21pm
Trying to Hope!

My kiln is an aim 94bd and the aim people said it should be okay it only pulls like 15 amps or something like that about the same as a toaster. The guy who sold it to me is awesome if anyonre needs a kiln I would highly recomend him he spent an hour on the phone with me finding the best kiln for my situation and has helped me with other things since then I am doing the floor in hardybacker but not the walls. and my work table will be covered in it too eventually I hope to get more pics tomorrow Thanks for all the wonderfull support
Old 2006-12-28, 8:22am
First star on the right..

I love that idea! There is a great show on the food channel.. cant remnember the name of it now.. where the guy goes around in this trailer that he has looking like a giant toaster. Its a great trailer..........maybe yours could look like a.. giant bead? LOL......... such possibilitys. Keep up the good work! Your idea is fantastic!

Old 2006-12-28, 9:42am
Trying to Hope!

Hehe I cant paint it anything strange on the outside the people who live with me just DONT have a sense of humor. I wanted a little sign hanging that said white trash beads and if this trailers a rocken ...they threatened to tow it off with me in it I am getting it sealed up right now but after I am done doing that i will take more pics been a litte slow with christmas and all.

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2006-12-28, 4:37pm
daughter and I

Great Wendy! Watch the mail girl!

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-12-28, 6:38pm

Much of what you have has been priced RIGHT! free. . . and it will turn out to be just perfect for a studio. Keep us posted. And I agree - fun colors will really make it yours! So keep us posted. . .
Old 2006-12-29, 3:45pm

wow that divider is awesome! I can imagine that it will be a very cool place for you
gonna paint?? What colors??

Old 2006-12-29, 4:04pm
Trying to Hope!

I want to eventually redo all the paneling in the same paneling so i am debating on painting or not painting if I dont paint it will urge me to redo it better when I have more money

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2006-12-29, 5:34pm
Your Royal Fritness

That is awesome! Keep the pictures comming. You will love your new studio

Happy New Year!

Dawn

Old 2007-01-19, 8:53am
& your rubino rod too!

If you can't decide whether or not to spend money on temp. paint I have a middle ground idea. You can get a gallon of "mistinted" paint for $5 at most small hardware stores. Some of the colors are great, just not what the customer wanted. I can't wait to see more pictures.
Dana
Old 2007-01-19, 2:13pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I'd LOVE to see a picture(s) of this, Dana - sounds wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana L View Post
Hi, my studio is a travel trailer too. My landlord would not allow any modifications to my house so I paid $50 for a trailer. I pulled out all of the interior paneling. (It is SO flammable, and I’d watched one to many safety videos!)
I lined the trailer with cement board. It was easy to find broken cement board for pennies, if you don’t care if some of it is tile board, and some of it is siding. I only bought one piece at full retail for the curved wall near my torch. I needed an ultra thin piece (1/4”) to be able to bend it (Soaked it in water first). My walls and floors are cement board, and the ceiling is coated with flame retardant paint.
I have a LOVELY skylight where my first ventilation system went through the roof (it leaked rain down my neck LOL.) I love it and it is my own space. I can even take it with me if I move, although not easily since it is leveled on block and tethered down.
OH YEAH! My only advice is that you will want to tie your trailer down. You have never lived until a strong wind hits the side of your trailer while you are working on a torch. Sort of a “Wizard of Oz” moment.
I can’t wait to see your project as it progresses!
Dana

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-01-24, 4:38pm

I really like that idea. I have a camper and thought about doing the same thing to it but my mom, dad , husband, mother in law and kids threatened me with my life. We go on camping trips every summer and it serves as a guest house. So for now I have to settle for the laundry room.
Old 2007-01-24, 5:28pm
Detail G-Mama!

I was 4 inches too long of getting me a trailer!!! Have fun with yours!!

Old 2007-02-26, 8:37am
Trying to Hope!

STOMP KICK SCREAM!!!!! I am so tired of waiting on this project to move forward If its not one thing its another I could have finished it myself long before now

I should have more pics soon They tell me everyday they are going to go and finish the babys pen

I should have just kept doing the workmyself.

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2007-03-15, 2:35pm
Trying to Hope!

Okay its been a while but here are the new pics of it almost done WOOOO

here is the babys den while I am torching. We call it the cell but it will have her own tv and lots of toys and the walls will have pretty painted flowers and stuff

here is my glass storage shelf that can be expanded to the right side as I get more glass

here is my table the kiln will go on my right the whole table will be covered in steel and the venalation moter will have a heat shield

venalation blower off an old airconditioning unit pulls my hair forward wooo it will get a heat shield of metal around the motor it sucks from the sides and back and vents out the roof fresh air comes in from both windows and below my feet

extra cabinets for storage

it can all be painted and will be in bright cheery colors the hoses will come in from the side and the gas will be stored outside where the propane is usually stored. still a ways to go but it should be ready soon enough

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2007-03-15, 2:53pm
Ex-lurker

Looking good - what a great idea!

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2007-03-28, 11:39pm
Glass-aholic

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! Its so unique and can yiu say road trip, it might take some road-proofing, but to have your inspiration at bay and not on the screen or pics... thats great! maybe insted of making it ino a toaster or giant bead you should take all your wookie beads and weird ones and epoxy them to the outside, imagine how the sun would reflect throuh the pieces!
________
Medical marijuana dispensary

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 7:21pm.
Old 2007-05-23, 2:21pm

Hey Wendy,
What a great idea, you really have worked hard. Love your torch table.
Your little girl is adorable!!
Do yourself a favor and cover or remove all of the panneling, It is extremely flameable and burns quickly.
Be safe, MarieAnn
Old 2007-05-23, 2:35pm
mystical cat lover 56

neat !
Old 2007-05-24, 3:03pm

If I was into making beads 12 years ago I would have pulled that thing to all the gratefuldead shows attended and made bead all day to sell at the next show. talk about a great life of traveling the country with that and making money to. best of luck on the project very good Idea ya got there.
Old 2007-06-18, 1:40pm

Very cool, and what an idea! Are you doing this yourself? You da woman!
Old 2007-06-18, 1:44pm
Macaw Mamma

Cool................very clever and looks nice and roomy, too

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2007-06-18, 2:36pm

The "cell" for your daughter is brilliant! If she's anything like my son, it won't be long before she'll want her own torch setup so she can work along side mommy.

Love,
Judy