No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-28, 11:56am

Default inconsistent flame help?

Hello,

I am having trouble with a wildly inconsistent flame and am looking for some advice. I use a Minor Torch and an oxygen concentrator. My problem is that the propane will go from being very low to very high in a second. The beads I just made are all garbage and I am very annoyed. Why is this happening?
Old 2012-02-28, 12:54pm

Does it go back to normal without any adjustments? How old is your concentrator and what output do you have it set for? What kind of regulator do you have on your propane?

Robert
Old 2012-02-28, 1:37pm

Thanks for your help.
I have a regulator from Wale. Not sure of any model name or number. My concentrator is a Devilbiss and is several years old. Yes, it will go back to normal, but is very hard to keep constant. It will go from way too much propane to way too little.
Old 2012-02-28, 2:46pm

When this was happening to me it turned out to be the concentrator.. I have a DeVillbiss as well got it fixed and no more issues
Debi
Old 2012-02-28, 7:39pm

Hmmm. I just ran it with no concentrator and it was a nice, consistent flame. Where did you have your concentrator serviced? I am in NY so I may need the same place you used.
Thanks!
Old 2012-02-28, 9:15pm
Artistically Absorbed

One of the guys over in the boro section helped me with this a few years ago. Is it kind of like your torch is breathing? He told me that the regulators we use really don't work as well at low pressures, and to set my gas pressure on the guage at 10psi, and adjust the flame at the torch. I haven't had the problem since. Just a thought it may help.
-Echo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-02-29, 6:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
One of the guys over in the boro section helped me with this a few years ago. Is it kind of like your torch is breathing? He told me that the regulators we use really don't work as well at low pressures, and to set my gas pressure on the guage at 10psi, and adjust the flame at the torch. I haven't had the problem since. Just a thought it may help.
-Echo
I've had the same problem and ended up finally replacing my propane regulator which fixed the problem and try to keep my propane above 5psi. I have the cheap regulator so I expect I'll need to replace it again at some point.

Tina

Old 2012-02-29, 6:54am

Try running your concentrator at a lower flow rate. If you've got it maxed out and the sieve beds are getting old then you are losing oxygen purity. This will make you flame appear to pulse. I've got an older 5 lpm concentrator that runs find as long as I keep it at 3 lpm or less, anything higher and the flame pulses. Bumping up the propane pressure just a bit is a good suggestion as well.

Robert