Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-07, 5:02am
Melody of Glass

Question Uroboros clear - can I use it for anything?

I have a pound of U104 clear plus some noodles. Haven't tried the noodles but the clear is absolutely terrible. Full of scratches and bubbles. Looks awful when I use it to encase so I don't. I started to use it for the middle of beads where it is not visible just to use it up. I've done a few - so far, so good.

I've been reading quite a bit about compatibility issues with U104 and Effetre. Should I stop using it as a base as well or does that tend to cause less issues than encasing with it?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-04-07, 6:03am

the little bit of uroboros 104 i had was terrible also....tons of cracks in the beads i used it on. i don't even use it for base glass now...it's in my shitpile.
Old 2013-04-07, 7:08am
Senior Moment

Crud. Bought some and have been saving it. Looks like for no reason.

Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-07, 7:12am
Loving learning

I bought some too. Hmmm, try it or leave it in the cubby....
Old 2013-04-07, 7:15am
Nikki Haverstock

So weird. I got the very first batch that came out and loved it. No cracks ( but I use it almost alone) and very clean.

Old 2013-04-07, 7:19am
Loving learning

Good point. I don't know which batch I have, so I should try it. Then hoard it if it's the good one
Old 2013-04-07, 7:25am
hyperT

Just make some small clear marbles out it and give them to kids.
Old 2013-04-07, 8:02am
Melody of Glass

Definitely try it before you get rid of it based on scumminess, anyway. Lots of people said it was crystal clear so I think it was very batch-dependent.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-04-07, 8:29am

Hmmm...maybe frit and enamel the heck out of it? Just some good SHAPES in the clear, then layer on the pretty on top. If using frit and enamels, the "dirty" look might even enhance what goes on top?
I'm pretty much back to "newbie" status after my hiatus, but that is what I have done in the past with glass that didn't work out well.
Old 2013-04-07, 8:30am

Also, fusing some cabs out of it and some compatible scrap glass may make it useful. You can always tell the kiddos the cabs are "treasure". My little one LOVES my old discards! She plays Pirate treasure in her sandbox with them!
Old 2013-04-07, 8:41am
uncouthful cats

This is so sad. It sounded like such wonderful news when it was in the working stage & first came out. What a disappointment that it turned so lousy so fast.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2013-04-07, 8:58am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
So weird. I got the very first batch that came out and loved it. No cracks ( but I use it almost alone) and very clean.
This.

The second batch I have has compatibility issues but isn't scummy. If I use it as the base and the encasement with a thin layer of something in between, it behaves.

For scummy/incompatible clear, like ASK 104, I use it with frit, or silver leaf and frit. I don't like to waste any glass.

There is always the option of contacting your vendor and asking if you can exchange it.

And where is Uroboros (the company) in all this? Has anyone talked to them about it? Do they have a position or a response?

Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-04-07, 9:01am

Darn! You would have gotten yours the same place I got my 1/4 lb to try! Guess I know what I should expect from it.

And I'm the same way about wasting glass. I even save all those pieces that pop off the rod or stringer pieces that are too short to apply comfortably, and try to find some way to use them in a bead, even if it's just as a base.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2013-04-07 at 9:03am.
Old 2013-04-07, 9:03am
Echo's Mother

The March issue of Soda Lime Times has an awesome technique for using up scummy clear. In a nutshell, make your bead, etch it, then use oil paint to color it, then seal. The beads are beautiful.
Old 2013-04-07, 9:22am
Melody of Glass

I love frit beads - I think that's a great idea!

I'll also have to go back to the March SLT and have a look.

Thanks for the good ideas!

Coming soon...

Old 2013-04-07, 9:24am
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlilly1 View Post
Darn! You would have gotten yours the same place I got my 1/4 lb to try! Guess I know what I should expect from it.

And I'm the same way about wasting glass. I even save all those pieces that pop off the rod or stringer pieces that are too short to apply comfortably, and try to find some way to use them in a bead, even if it's just as a base.
We probably did get it at the same place, Melissa. Take a look at it. The defects in mine are very visible in the rods.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-04-07, 9:32am
Salt Box Beads

Sometimes if you mix the clear with a small amount of opaque it will then work well as a base bead especially as a short or long tube base bead because it is not very thick along the mandrel.

It is worth a try and at least it wouldn't be wasted glass.
Old 2013-04-07, 9:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box E Creations View Post
The March issue of Soda Lime Times has an awesome technique for using up scummy clear. In a nutshell, make your bead, etch it, then use oil paint to color it, then seal. The beads are beautiful.
Oh that sounds lovely! I have some old "Extreme uglies" that are solid beads. Maybe I could use that technique to upcycle them?
Now I need to track down 'Soda Lime", March, 2013!

I can't torch, but I'll be darned if I won't find a way to do SOMETHING!
Old 2013-04-07, 9:35am

WooHoo! Found the mag, and now I'm sending for my free issues.
Old 2013-04-07, 9:53am

The oil painting is fascinating! This is something I definitely have space to play with...now i just need to BUY a sandblasting setup! I may try with some etched beads left to etch longer than normal and see if I get any results.
TY for mentioning both Soda Lime, and this technique in particular Box E Creations!
Old 2013-04-07, 12:04pm
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
For scummy/incompatible clear, like ASK 104, I use it with frit, or silver leaf and frit. I don't like to waste any glass.
Thing is I have a bunch of ASK104 clear I bought specifically for this purpose (and it works well with these applications; I also use with a very small amount of silver glass on the outside); I certainly didn't need more single usage clear *sigh*

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-07, 1:26pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box E Creations View Post
Wow, that's sounds nice! I'm sure the paint can be sealed so it won't wear away, I hope?

I'm going to have to get that March issue tomorrow when hubby gets paid, or I would already be reading it! I have plenty of blehh clear glass! This looks like it will be a fun project.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-04-07 at 2:24pm.
Old 2013-04-07, 2:25pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Same thing happened with me! The first batch I got was wonderful and I loved it so much I bought another pound, which is totally crappy. Even after I cleaned it, it scums and bubbles and almost all the rods have a long, thin air bubble through the entire middle of the rod which makes for instability and bubbles in the bead. I had sung it's praises on another thread, then I bought the second lb., and boy......am I ever sorry now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post

Old 2013-04-07, 2:28pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Also, with the long middle air entrapment in the rods, it makes them very unstable when heating up in the torch. They constantly pop apart which scares the heck out of me. I know, I know, you only get what you pay for, which is why I should ONLY by Zephyr by DH.

Old 2013-04-07, 5:36pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Oh, wow..

I bought four pounds of this stuff. A bundle of three, and the fourth, loose. I noticed some roughness and bumps on the outside of some of the rods, but it melts clear and beautiful. But that's only the loose pound.
I sure hope the sealed bundle of the remaining three pounds are as good. It was a lot of money to pay for bad clear glass, if I also include the postage from the US.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-04-08, 4:59am
Peerless Thread Killer

Use it by itself with enamels. I use my crappy clear that way-there are lots of colors and it covers up all the ugly in clear. No cracking issues, since it's just the clear.

Old 2013-04-08, 4:31pm

I just bought 6 pounds of Uroboros clear -odd at Glass Craft in Las Vegas. I asked why itbwas odd and they indicated it could have a few rocks or air bubbles. I hope I didn't just waste a bunch of money. I emailed Uroboros and am waiting for a response about the compatibility issue.
Old 2013-04-08, 4:43pm
Echo's Mother

The oil painted beads are awesome. Instead of sandblasting, I'm going to try some etched with etching cream and some etched in a rock tumbler with silicon carbide frit. I made some clear beads just to try the oil paint technique. I have Shiva paint sticks (oil paint in a stick form) that I am hoping will work.
Old 2013-04-08, 7:14pm
Mad about Glass

I haven't had a problem yet but have only used a few rods. I organised a bulk buy because the U104 wasn't available in Australia at the time. So far I've had nothing but bad reports about scratched rods and cracking from the people in the buy. Even though it was incredibly cheap that's no consolation if the glass is unusable!

[url]

Old 2013-04-08, 7:23pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I love mine, so far, Ekkie. I just have my fingers crossed for the unopened remaining 3 lb.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107