LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-02-09, 11:49am

Default DH, Gaia, what works for me

I have to tell you that everything I know I got from the DH website. Now I can't access Some of the tips but I will tell you what I do as I interpreted the tips.

It says for gaia to work it hot so that it doesn't reduce while working it.

For me that means turning up the Oxygen. If Gaia become opaque while you work it I think it is pretty difficult ot bring it back.

I tried all sorts of things. I never came close to the reaction that Polychrome beads got on that one set.]

I like gaia over dark ivory. Work it hot while encasing the ivory (gotta pretty much cover all the ivory or is sucks out the gaia

One mistake that I made and lost a few beads, was about letting the bead cool and then reducing (AS PER INSTRUCTIONS ON THE SITE) well can't really let it cool too much or if you go for a quick turn or two in the reducing flame, it will break later...

So let it cool a little, then follow the directions for the cones on the DH site.

A few turns will bring gaia to a lovely iridescence and I use kronos over gaia and it sparkles.

Now that I understand the way you all are using the R4 glass (for boro effects) I have been doing that with gaia and it works great. You just don't have to reduce the snot out of gaia.

Also I love the aion frit over ivory, the silver gives you that ivory/silver reaction around the frit but if you later reduce I get a green tint to the frit itself. You can try gaia over ivory that has been rolled in aion frit first.

I never have problems getting kronos to reduce especially when it is over Gaia.

For the effects like boro, go ahead and reduce the heck out of gaia before you encase... I haven't tried that with kronos.

BTW my favorite bead is aion encased in gaia, then some dots of kronos...
the gaia is a translucent shimmer and the kronos sparkles...on and again over kronos is gorgeous...Then again I am looking for the reduction and iridesence.

These techniques have worked for me over and over.... kronos decoration over gaia SINGS

Just thought I would share and really this is mostly just following the tips on the DH site and making an interpretation of what "work gaia hot" means.

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2007-02-09, 1:42pm

So that means you can encase gaia without cracking ?

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2007-02-09, 1:45pm
Floral Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ngridh View Post
BTW my favorite bead is aion encased in gaia, then some dots of kronos...
the gaia is a translucent shimmer and the kronos sparkles...on and again over kronos is gorgeous...Then again I am looking for the reduction and iridesence.
These techniques have worked for me over and over.... kronos decoration over gaia SINGS
Pictures!!!!!

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-02-09, 2:07pm
Missing presumed fed

When you're encasing one DH glass with another, are you reducing the bottom glass first? Are you reducing the Aion, then encasing with Gaia, then reducing the Gaia? Or are you not encasing the Aion completely?

I've encased Gaia with Lauscha without having any cracking problems. I didn't realize cracking was an issue. I did discover that you have to do a pretty heavy reduction on the Gaia before encasing or it doesn't show up at all after encasing. The light oil slick effect just gets lost.
Old 2007-02-09, 3:28pm

This may be a stupid question, but if you reduce then encase in a neutral flame, don't you lose the reduction effect? I'm playing with reduction frits and you can reverse the reduction by going back into a neutral flame. I haven't tried encasing after reducing, so I'm curious. I also haven't tried Gaia, etc. so this question may be moot, sorry! And thanks for your time and comments!!!
Mary T.

Last edited by mtarara; 2007-02-09 at 3:29pm. Reason: clicked before I finished LOL!!!
Old 2007-02-09, 5:21pm
Storm Queen

I agree, thanks for the tips but I'd like to see pics so I can put the tip with the effect you got.

Old 2007-02-09, 8:32pm

Well it is dark now... tomorrow pics. But ...gee I can encase a the bead that has the gaia stringer (reduced) without losing that effect... when encasing...I don't expose the reduced part to the flame... I will have some pictures tomorrow... even if it is a large bead ... apply the heat to the encasing rod...get it really hot and push it onto the bead.
Personally I like gaia over aion with kronos dots...I think I have a picture of that somewhere... let me find one...

the small one on the right... aoin, encased with gaia then some dots of kronos... personally I like the look

this is gaia over ivory with kronos arms

Here are some assorted focals... gaia always over ivory...

Last edited by !ngridh; 2007-02-09 at 8:38pm. Reason: add pictures requested
Old 2007-02-09, 8:39pm

oops... please ignore photos tomorrow

Last edited by !ngridh; 2007-02-09 at 8:46pm.
Old 2007-02-10, 9:45am

OK...I think I have the answer now...first...there is an incredible thread ..
Show us your silver colors. It took me over 2 hours to read thru the whole thread. A lot of these questions are answered there with lots of how to's etc and lots of pictures.
Let me refer you to that thread....
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27555

It is worth the time to go thru the whole thread, I did before I tried some of these techniques with the DH glass.

IN short...Yes you can put a decoration of a reducing glass on a bead and then encase. Keep the bead warm in the back flame and really heat up your encasing rod....and don't put the bead directly in the flame... I encase with a moretti pale color...I think there is something in that thread about people having problems with encasing with lauscha clear. Try a dark transparent base, do your stringer work... reduce...then I encase with a pale moretti transparent....

but honestly for me to answer some of these questions...would be feeble when you can go to the thread above and read and see pictures of both DH and R4...my thread was intended to address working gaia...what I do with it to get that nice iridescent finish...because I have been working with it and have some degree of success...
This is what I am refering too... how to get this look...

The most beautiful beads I ever saw were by polychrome beads...
here is a picture of her set...
yes yes...I drool over it often and it is the work of Polychrome beads and Naos that get me going...

And while I am at it...here is a link to her auctions...
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

So I was spurred on by the beads you see above...I still can't get THAT reaction...tho now I am wondering if the base color might have been opal yellow
I work over ivory. So for more questions about Silver colors you have the link to the thread that I took an evening to read thru...it was worth every minute...

I am just trying to tell you what works for me in my feeble attempt to get some results like Polychrome beads

LOL what a jerk I am to put my beads in teh same frame with Polychrome beads...you can tell I still have a long way to go!

Old 2007-02-10, 10:22am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I LOVE the greens in your beads! Beautiful!!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-02-10, 6:23pm

OH INDRIGH! Your beads are beautiful and inspiring. And thanks for the tips and the thread, Now I can't wait to play!!!
Mary T.