Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-01-13, 4:55pm

Smile using beeswax on presses

I need suggestions on applying beeswax to my brass presses. Thanks everybody.
Old 2014-01-13, 5:20pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Waiting to see replies with interest …..!!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2014-01-13, 5:25pm

i know at least one press manufacturer who is on this site suggests that you don't do it.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2014-01-13, 5:33pm
I fart diamonds

I just rub the bar on it. You only want a light coat, not caked on blobs of wax.

Old 2014-01-13, 7:04pm

What presses? Are you having trouble with them? I don't ever use beeswax on any of my presses but I know some folks do.

--Helene
Old 2014-01-13, 7:10pm

I use beeswax on mine and usually just put a bit on when the press is cooling.... not too hot or you end up with a puddle of wax in a big messy blob.

I don't use it so much to help with the pressing tbh (although it does appear to reduce chill marks a little bit) but more to keep the presses in good condition when stored.

I like the honey smell you get a little whiff of when you first use the press afterwards too, but maybe that is me being weird! LOL

Old 2014-01-14, 10:08am
Glass-aholic

I use it on my dapping block when I use it to as a marble mold. It helps the metal be less grippy. Metal grips the glass as opposed to the more flowing graphite. You can see and test this with brass/graphite paddles. Make a striped bead and marver it. You should on some level feel the difference. My dapping block is steel, so it really grips the metal, and the corners are a bit sharp for glass work. It pulls far more than brass even. Need wax helps the glass float in the cavity rather than being in direct contact with the metal. I do not use this for presses unless I plan to use the bead press cavity as a bead roller. It basically mimics the process hot shop glass lowers use wet newspaper. The glass floats on the steam. No reason you couldn't, sometimes I have seen it leave a soot on the glass you can't get off. I thing it's natural impurities in the bees wax burning off. Keep this in mind when thinking about using it during pressing. As was previously mentioned, I think less is more. .... And if you can't figure out why the top if your press sitting on your workbench won't move, usually it's my dapping block.. And you think it's super glued to your tile ... Or you want to prank anyone who comes over to torch... Put bees wax in multiple sides of your block, keep turning it as you use it, and let it sit over night............. I almost flew across the stupid room when I tried to pick up that stupid block adhered w/ melted wax to my workbench! I thought my studio partner was joking! (I'm sure the suction action is coming from the cavity as well!)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: