Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-29, 5:01am

Default One more sis question

I know about the 5 percent rule when using frit with a different coe than the bead you are applying it to. Does that same rule apply when using a 104 coe sis stringer to a 96 coe bead.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-29, 5:23am
Loving learning

I was under the impression that you don't use 104 on 96 at all, but I'm not positive.
Old 2013-05-29, 9:25am

I'm sure that I have read the same thing too, you can't use 104 on 96. But then, maybe I dreamt it - 'cos that has been known to happen lol!!

Old 2013-05-29, 10:23am

I think the both of you may be right. after searching around I found where 96 furnace glass frit can be used in small amounts because of the lead content. I already new this but I may be trying to learn to many things at one time.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-29, 11:49am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think the both of you may be right. after searching around I found where 96 furnace glass frit can be used in small amounts because of the lead content. I already new this but I may be trying to learn to many things at one time.
Bob
On the surface of 104 in a single layer is fine. I wouldn't encase it.
Old 2013-05-29, 12:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
On the surface of 104 in a single layer is fine. I wouldn't encase it.
Thanks Lizi, I did it on a 96 coe bead a while back by mistake using a small stringer here and there and it shows no signs of problems.
bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-29, 1:11pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Thanks Lizi, I did it on a 96 coe bead a while back by mistake using a small stringer here and there and it shows no signs of problems.
bob
Save that one and every so often take it out to check for cracks. It will eventually break. I put 104 stringer on Uroboros 96 base, and it took 4 years for that bead to fall apart. So weird! But expected.
Old 2013-05-29, 1:39pm
Artistically Absorbed

I also have a couple of beads I did that with too. Accidentally used 104 on 96, the ones where it was a surface application, have shown no problems. (still have them was afraid to sell them because I was told it was a NO NO!, so I am not recommending it!) I had a few I encased those are goners, they cracked. It did make me wonder because of the lead content of the 96 if it would accept small surface application of 104, since the ones I have are still in tact, one is even a raised flower.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-05-29, 4:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
I also have a couple of beads I did that with too. Accidentally used 104 on 96, the ones where it was a surface application, have shown no problems. (still have them was afraid to sell them because I was told it was a NO NO!, so I am not recommending it!) I had a few I encased those are goners, they cracked. It did make me wonder because of the lead content of the 96 if it would accept small surface application of 104, since the ones I have are still in tact, one is even a raised flower.
That brings up a good question. I know a furnace glass like Reichenback which is coe 96 has lead but I do work quit a bit with spectrum 96 and I don't think it has the lead in it. I guess it may work with one but not the other.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-29, 5:55pm
one day at a time

Spectrum 96 is essentially the same glass as the Uroboros 96 rods. No lead in it, but it makes an excellent base for all of these 96 COE frits out there. You can encase over the frit if it's on the 96 COE base. Uroboros 96 COE make a wonderful clear.

I get all of my Uroboros rods from www.howacoglass.com She has a 104 Uroboros clear, but that is a new glass I know nothing about. I encase with Effetre clear when I use Effetre. About clear glass, you are going to find out in this forum that there are many different opinions on what is "best". But I can tell you that for 96 COE, the Uroboros is awesome.