LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-01-05, 5:05pm

Default Ideas for ventilation for soldering & glass?

I am in the middle of setting up my studio in our new house....I would love to see pictures of your soldering station & lampwork station if you are using one ventilation system....I haven't quite figured out how to share the system (using one at a time)?

Most of the posts I have searched - showed ventilation for the lampwork station but not for the soldering station....in our last house I put a box over my lampwork torch with my soldering station on top but I want a separate station that I don't have to take apart each time....

Thanks,
Shauna
Old 2008-01-05, 9:22pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Since soldering does not produce the volume of gases that a burning torch does, and mostly all you want to do is pull out any smoke and noxious fumes, the kitchen vent hood everybody wants to use for TORCH ventilation would probably be more than sufficient to ventilate soldering area...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-01-05, 9:27pm

Dale? I thought lots of lampworkers use kitchen vent hoods?
Old 2008-01-06, 10:49am
Gentleman of Leisure

A lot do... A lot may not be aware that their ventilation may not be functioning as well as they thought..... If you work out accepted design specifications many hoods have under powered fans for size of hood opening.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-01-16, 8:26pm

I'm just starting---bought a Mini-cc torch and an M15 oxycon. Any advice on venting and/or kilns??? I'm dying to get my set-up complete so I don't have to drive over an hour to use a studio! .....looking at the Jenn-Kenn AF3 kiln currently...any advice would be appreciated!
Old 2008-01-17, 5:23pm

Default Two vented work stations

We have a wall vent system. It has two ducts. One is for soldering and one for lampwork. When only one is being used I block off one duct with a cover made form thick paper.. At my lampwork station I have a box over my torch and the vent plugs into the back. The torch flame is directed toward the duct opening.
I use an additional clip on fan behind me to send the air into the box. I will take a photo tomorrow when it is daylight here. Hope this helps. My husband does Stained Glass and I do metals in addition to glass.
Also my studio is built on the back on our garage so I have a exterior wall for the vent.
Best of luck,
Adelle

Last edited by fread; 2008-01-17 at 5:26pm.
Old 2008-01-18, 9:49am

I remember reading about a year ago, some of you had pictures and I believe a tutorial of how to set up a good working ventilation system with a hood. I just got my studio framed and am at the place of doing the electrical and ventilation install. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Do any of you have pictures and info, etc to share?
Thanks!