AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2011-03-23, 3:44pm

Default Anyone Have an Octopuss Tutorial? Boro or Soft Glass!

Know of any tutorials on how to make an octopuss? It can be boro or soft glass. I'm talking about a larger sculpture type octopuss, not a pendant. I've seen the videos on youtube but i was hoping to find one I can print out and go step by step while I torch. Any help appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-25, 10:48am

Default No tutorial here, but......

here is what I do. Place your 'head - build up a large bump/dot on the bead, keep building it til it is the aprox size you want it to be then flip the bead over adn heat the dot with it hanging down, get it hot enough to form a slight 'light bulb shape. I add the legs after shaping the body, just use stringer to put on eight legs - octupusses are symmetrical, so try to place them in a symmetrical formation. place the eyes low on the head and build them like any googly eyes.

I dont have pics and am actually at work, so I cant even take a picture, but will see if I can this evening.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-03-25, 11:02am
da General

Ari'elle, I'd recommend the Vittorio Costantini DVD by Corning Museum of Glass. It not only contains the octopus, it has his fish, beetle, bird, etc. etc. etc. The BEST DVD ever made, imho!

http://glassmarket.cmog.org/browse.cfm/4,3082.html

It's not exactly a "tutorial" but a movie of how he makes his critters.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-25, 2:32pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

One of the glass magazines had a tut some months ago. Glassline or The Flow but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Sorry
Old 2011-03-25, 5:03pm

Would love to see pics if you have any, Vicki! The bulbous head I can pretty much figure out, it's adding flowing legs that look like moving tentacles that I don't get. Are you working in boro or soft glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozles View Post
here is what I do. Place your 'head - build up a large bump/dot on the bead, keep building it til it is the aprox size you want it to be then flip the bead over adn heat the dot with it hanging down, get it hot enough to form a slight 'light bulb shape. I add the legs after shaping the body, just use stringer to put on eight legs - octupusses are symmetrical, so try to place them in a symmetrical formation. place the eyes low on the head and build them like any googly eyes.

I dont have pics and am actually at work, so I cant even take a picture, but will see if I can this evening.

Old 2011-03-25, 5:04pm

Thanks, I'll go to their websites and see if I can locate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
One of the glass magazines had a tut some months ago. Glassline or The Flow but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Sorry

Old 2011-03-25, 5:17pm

Thanks Hayley. It's not the tutorial that I'm looking for but I think I'll get it just because I love Vittorio's work! Dang, just realized I spelled octopus wrong in my title, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Ari'elle, I'd recommend the Vittorio Costantini DVD by Corning Museum of Glass. It not only contains the octopus, it has his fish, beetle, bird, etc. etc. etc. The BEST DVD ever made, imho!

Old 2011-03-25, 6:30pm

I am still struggling with the legs myself. I use soft glass.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-03-25, 6:46pm

Vittorio makes his out of a solid piece of glass.
he doesn't add legs he cuts them out of the bottom two thirds of the form.

starting with a long cylinder jack top 1/3 for head.
heat just the bottom and let it flatten on the marver holding punty straight up.
quickly pinch eight times around with tweezers. fast
next cut those spots. fast
pull out all the legs a little.
heat continue to pull out each leg
good luck!
Old 2011-03-25, 10:08pm

Now that makes perfect sense, thanks! I'll try it out this weekend after I watch his DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
Vittorio makes his out of a solid piece of glass.
he doesn't add legs he cuts them out of the bottom two thirds of the form.

Old 2011-04-05, 11:47am
Miss my BoBo Griff

It's the FAST and evenly spaced eight pinches with the tweezers that'll gitcha LOLOL

Old 2011-05-07, 12:46pm
Southeast Alaskan Artist

The Octopus legs are generally made (in the tutorials i have seen) by making a cane for the legs then pulling it down into 8 pieces that are tapered down like you would expect the legs to be, they are attached to the body straight, first make a + with the first 4, then the last 4 in between those, the shaping of the legs is then done after all 8 are attached and melted in by selective heating and manipulation. The tutorials I saw were for boro but I imagine they could be adapted for soft glass.
There is a tutorial in Glassline issue: August/September, 2010 - Vol. 24, No. 2. for an octopus.
Old 2011-05-07, 12:54pm

Crystal Myths-Lewis Wilson has a n octopus in his sculptural series DVD's.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2011-06-19, 5:37am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post

I second Hayley's recommendation. Vittorio is an amazing re-creator of nature! BTW, I learned that the "end" images of the pieces made in the video are different because there was an "accident" in the studio getting ready to shoot all the finished products. But, regarless, the "making" part is there. It's VERY well put together with matching music. Totally worth every penny.

Old 2011-09-11, 7:00pm

I make the legs first,then add the suckers,and shape them. I then form the head,add eyes,and other details,put the beak on the bottom, then attach legs,and anneal. I work in born for my octopus. I think that there are still pictures on my website. I 'll have to check. Hope that helps
Old 2011-09-12, 9:48am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJpQ...90613A6B0056C7

Here is one, not the greatest but maybe it will help
Old 2011-09-12, 9:54am

Part of the movie listed above 0o

Wow..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAuYzysQzXA
Old 2011-09-20, 7:40am

Glassline had 2 issues with octopus demos in them:

December/January, 2009/10 - Vol. 23, No. 4.
June/July, 2009 - Vol. 23, No. 1.
Old 2016-04-18, 6:22pm

Here is one for boro glass incl.video:
http://www.artisansupplies.com.au/15...glass-octopus/
Old 2016-04-19, 4:52am

Cool vid!!
Old 2017-12-28, 4:52pm
Still makin' flowers...

Its not free, but I just uploaded one onto Shawn's Etsy.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/5826345...pus-pendant-or

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!