AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What exactly is a "Complex Twisty"?
More than 3 colors? 77 53.10%
IB as one of the colors? 1 0.69%
At least 1 reactive color in the twisty? 3 2.07%
Other...Please explain 25 17.24%
I don't have a clue, I just make "twisties" 43 29.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-01, 10:30pm
Salt Box Beads

Maybe it is because I am so new at it but everytime I try it a different way than Kimberlys I get air trapped all over the place....I spent this afternoon trying everyway taught and Kimberly's was by far the best way for me. ( at this time).

Maybe later I can spread my wings a little more.

Thank-you for offering to share your Toso notes..I will be watching for them.
Lorraine
Old 2008-12-02, 3:08pm
Lover of all things color

Nice Lorraine. I've tried Hayley's method also and like it but my problem is coordination....LOL watching that blob and twisting and pulling and, well, you get the idea. Again, just practice will help with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-12-02, 5:44pm
da General

Here is the diagram illustrating what Toso taught us, cross sections of canes:

What we Americans call Filigrana is really latticino IF it has a white core.

Filigrana must have two or more colors in addition to the clear casing.

Xânfirico is a ribbon cane with just one color plus clear. (Lorraine - this doesn't correspond with the Zanfirico you found on the Murano glass website tho!).

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-02-08, 7:07am
Formerly FishBulb

When I saw this thread the first thing I thought of was Mary Lockwood's tutorial on Zanfirico Ballerino -- now THERE'S a complex twisty. I haven't even attempted it yet. Two colours but a whole LOT of work!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-02-09, 1:11pm
Super Duper

To be honest I don't consider "complex twistie" to be a real thing.

Twisties are all fairly straightforward regardless of the number of colors in them. Its not like four colors is magically harder to twist than two, and it takes about 5 seconds to swipe on an additional color.

If we are talking cane and other fancy things I'd classify it by easy and hard. Anything that is twisted in only one direction is easy since all cane patterns tend to be fairly simple and get their looks from the twist. If the pattern requires several components to be fused (many cane patterns are based on filligrana) I might consider it a bit harder.

Things that are twisted back and forth (wig wags) or in both directions at once (retticello) as well as combinations of the two are where it gets hard. Pulling off a retticello in soft glass takes a lot of precision and heat control. Perfectly straight wigwags are also fairly difficult but the effect can be created as you apply the cane so its more of a thing you do for fun.
Old 2011-02-09, 6:23pm
Salt Box Beads

I looked up on Websters the word COMPLEX

Complex: which led to Complicated, intricately combined

which led to Complexly

which led to Complex : interrelating parts or elements.
Old 2011-02-09, 6:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post

Do you know that the "filigrana" we buy from Frantz and Arrow Springs is NOT filigrana!!! Filigrana must be two colors or more plus clear . . .
What about the white core filigrana. White, a trans color and then clear? I'm not too fond of the non white core.

Old 2011-02-09, 7:49pm
Super Duper

We really need an official list of names for the stuff. I've yet to see two separate sources of information that aren't conflicting.

Just post something and hope it catches on.
Old 2011-02-09, 10:08pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp View Post
We really need an official list of names for the stuff. I've yet to see two separate sources of information that aren't conflicting.

Just post something and hope it catches on.
True. And to that end I am now officially calling mine:

Lampworking Decoration Canes .
Old 2011-02-09, 10:47pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

This totally depends who you ask, as you can see from the answers above. I base my knowledge to glass blowing, and thats where the canes with designed twistie inside have been made originally. Every design has a different name, and I only wish I could remember the names. I bet there is a source somewhere that could enlighten this. But if you just have colors twisted, even if it is encased, it is still just a twistie. To call it complex, imo it needs to have a design. Opal and transparent glasses in different twisted patterns will create a complex twistie... that is not called twistie anywhere else than in lampworking society, if Im correct.

ETA: I dunno how I ever missed Lorraines post, that explains really well what they are, thats what I would consider complex twisties. There are names for all kinds of designs... the names she have there, are like family names, there are several different names of vitro a Filigrana, depending how the design was made. Thank you Lorraine, I was really trying to find a web site, that would name the different filigranas, but I had 0 luck.

Last edited by Pia Kaven; 2011-02-10 at 4:17am.
Old 2012-04-13, 6:17pm
Salt Box Beads

You're welcome Pia. For me a complex twistie isn't in the actual making of it or how many colors used. It is in "what" colors are used and how well they will melt and interact with each other and with the base bead..

It is knowledge of glass and color reactions so when you make twisties with reactive reactive colors you know you are not going to get mudd when you use it..LOL

A simple twistie is one that has straightforward colors with no real reactive capabilites.

A complex twistie is what I described above and of course these are merely my own interpretations.