Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-09-05, 3:30am
Favorite color is shiny

Default The Start of my Studio

I've been wanting this Studio of the past year. I really didn't think it would ever take place, with Hurricane Ike and this and that, but finally I decided to just bite the bullet and hire the crew. They will arrive next weekend (nice way to celebrate Ike anniversary..ha*) to build my "shed". Soooo, hopefully I'll be able to document this from beginning to end. I've read a lot, learned a lot and can't wait to put it to good use. I know I'll be needing your support and encouragement with this solo endeavor...whew*...I hope you will tag along with me as all of this comes to fruition.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---> LE
Old 2009-09-05, 8:41am
Cancer SUCKS!

Can't wait to see photos.

Old 2009-09-05, 6:35pm
Favorite color is shiny

Thanks Deb! I'm way excited and things can't move fast enough. I'm going to post pics as soon as I have pics...LOL

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2009-09-21, 6:12pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Any updates?

Old 2009-09-24, 6:44pm
Favorite color is shiny

Hi Deb,
Thanks so much for asking. I'm at a bit of a stand still due to RAIN!!! While at work I look out and the sun is out but by the time I'm finished and get home... it's over cast and starting to drizzle...sigh* I'm about to tile the floor and have electricity run.. I can't wait to tackle that hurdle.
Again, thanks for asking...

---> LE
Old 2009-09-24, 9:36pm
Cancer SUCKS!

That is way cool! Some day I might convert my little camper into a studio.

Keep the photos coming!

Old 2009-09-25, 3:52am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Looking great Lynn! Can't wait to see pics of the inside - congrats!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-09-25, 4:19am
BeadsonCypress

very nice!! Enjoy every minute!!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-03-06, 9:13pm
Favorite color is shiny

Okay, update on my Shedio....still lots to do...ventilation for one!! Tile the floors and work bench for another...never ending it seems. Please remember I'm flying solo on this little project....whew* Thank goodness for all the wonderful and patient people here on LE!! You're walking me through it whether you know it or not.....

---> LE
Old 2010-03-07, 7:29am

Looks like it's going to be a wonderful studio! Thanks for posting pics

Linda
Old 2010-03-07, 9:25am

That is going to be fantastic. Keep posting pics. Thanks

Old 2010-03-07, 2:31pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Don't really recommend the 'range hood' for ventilation. There are other better alternatives that are not too much more expensive but way way better. Otherwise very very nice. I'm seeing a lot of very nice cozy little shed studios lately. Great work you guys!
PJ
Old 2010-03-08, 6:02pm
Favorite color is shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Don't really recommend the 'range hood' for ventilation. There are other better alternatives that are not too much more expensive but way way better. Otherwise very very nice. I'm seeing a lot of very nice cozy little shed studios lately. Great work you guys!
PJ
Hi Cheng076,

Well, I've seen many many types of "hoods" while pouring over LE Studio pictures but I'm open to suggestions. I still have to add the duct work, the baffles and mount the fan outside. So as you can see, no where near finished.

Tell me what you suggest that would work better. I'm definitely listening..

---> LE
Old 2010-03-08, 8:05pm
Salt Box Beads

Way too cute! and who was that adorable little four legged creature standing guard in the doorway??

Lorraine
Old 2010-03-09, 10:09am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Seasoned Soul,
I've been doing a lot of research and many experiments regarding ventilation for a talk I am doing this summer at the High Desert Glass Retreat. I have had formal training in HVAC and many years experience operating systems BUT I am NOT a ventilation engineer nor do I consider myself an expert. So here are some things I have discovered.

Household range hoods are not a good choice in almost all situations. Better than nothing but not by much. Problem is they are rated very much higher than actual performance.

One of the simplest systems I saw here somewhere was a free furnace fan mounted inside a box that was in turn mounted under the eves of a shed exactly like yours and drawing air from a simple hood inside over the bench. The hood is quite nice but a simpler design is shown in one of the other recent threads; a simple wooden box built against the wall. The wash tub idea is also cheap and easy. I seem to be the promoter of free furnace fans but they are designed for ducted ventilation and are free. Mark Wilson promotes an inexpensive fan from Home Depot/Lowes that is very low cost and the same design (squirrel cage) as furnace fans. Inline fans have come down in cost considerably since I set up my studio and are also a good choice. Check out "Finally... My studio is done" thread where the last pic is of the fan box and mounting on the outside of the building.

Make up air pretty much comes in two flavors. First is an open door or window; hopefully behind the worker so fresh air is drawn past the face/head before picking up contaminants and getting expelled. Very efficient with good flow past the workers head/face. Second is ducted where fresh air is brought in via ducts to openings in the work bench. This system is good but somewhat expensive. It's advantage is that makeup air comes from outside and so little room air is drawn out thus maintaining room temperature; good in places with extreme temps. I have found some interesting things about ducted makeup systems that are counter intuitive. One would think that having the supply registers near the working edge and close to the torch location would be best. I have found that air currents under and around the bench in this configuration are very nearly the same as with behind the back open door systems except that air is drawn up the front of the body where it induces a flow from around the head/face then over up and out the hood. However when the openings are near the back wall some of the air currents travel parallel aross the bench at torch height some distance before rising up into the hood. I have not investigated the implications of this yet. There is some flow from behind and around the workers head in this situation also.

Last thought. The 'hood' does not need to be big or elaborate. A simple 8" to 12" open duct end positioned above and in front of the torch will capture all the contaminants IF the fan is adequately sized.

Hope this helps clear up some things, PJ

Just reread your initial post. Are you just using the range hood as a capture device and mounting a larger/better fan outside? In that case disregard a lot of what I said. I'll leave the info up for others but with a good, properly sized fan outside you are good to go.

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-03-09 at 10:15am. Reason: Keyboard drops 'C's
Old 2010-03-10, 5:00am
Favorite color is shiny

"Just reread your initial post. Are you just using the range hood as a capture device and mounting a larger/better fan outside? In that case disregard a lot of what I said. I'll leave the info up for others but with a good, properly sized fan outside you are good to go."

Yes Cheng067, I have a new inline fan that will be mounted outside. I have a fairly short distance between the top of the hood and where it will attach to a single 90 degree turn then attach to the fan. So yeah, the range hood is acting like the top of a box. A friend had it left over after a remodel. As I mentioned I still have much work to do on the ventilation. LOL
Thank you soo much for caring enough to post your information. There are a lot of newbies reading the Studio section in an effort to better understand. I've been pouring over for a few years now

---> LE
Old 2010-03-10, 5:02am
Favorite color is shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Way too cute! and who was that adorable little four legged creature standing guard in the doorway??

Lorraine
Hey Lorraine,

That's my yorkie, Rumour (I'm a huge Fleetwood Mac fan) and you're correct when you say, " standing guard". He's the protector of the kingdom or thinks he is...whew*

---> LE
Old 2010-04-28, 5:41pm
Favorite color is shiny

AAGGHHH!!! I'm in the middle of finishing my ventilation...woohooo!!!
I'm about to add the front wall of the box which holds my inline fan, which is mounted to the side of my Shedio. The exhaust will ~~flow~~ out the front and I'm sure I need to add some type of screen so that the air will ~~flow~~ right on out. Last night I turned the fan on and lit some incense... yes, I know I should have my torch going at the same time BUT I just had to see if the fan would pull, just if it would work at ALL. I'll post pics later and you can give me your opinions. The actual question here is.... the screen? air out bugs out!! I have the filter like screen that came off of my vent. I also have some nylon screening...I think tiny bugs can get through that but not huge ones >>>shiver<<<.

---> LE
Old 2010-04-29, 7:16am
Somewhat out there!

I put a piece of hardware cloth (wire mesh) on my outside exhaust pipe and hose clamped it on. The pipe is black so I spraypainted mesh and clamp black too. I was thinking about birds and bugs but somehow I wasn't thinking little bugs. Don't know why not. Might be cause even the misquitos in Minnesota aren't small.
Old 2010-04-29, 3:56pm
Favorite color is shiny

Thank you for your reply Glasshobbit!!! I'm going to add some mesh to keep away any and all bugs!!! LOL!! Oh and we have those same kind of mosquitoes here in Texas...whew! My spring and summer scent is eau de repel-a-skita ! UGH!!

---> LE
Old 2010-05-04, 9:19pm
Favorite color is shiny

Finally!!!

I worked hard for this little feat .... FAN WORKS!!!

---> LE

Last edited by Seasoned Soul; 2010-05-04 at 9:19pm. Reason: incomplete
Old 2010-05-05, 9:20am

Lynn,
Congratulations on your studio!
Just a thought in order for the smoke test to work your torch needs to be running while you burn the incense.
MarieAnn
Old 2010-05-06, 5:33pm
Favorite color is shiny

Hi MarieAnn,

I know I should have the torch lit, I really just wanted to see if it even pulled at ALL. haha. I'm doing this by myself and the only help I have is this wonderful group of artists. After I assembled the duct work, drilled holes in walls, built a box to house the inline fan, standing on top.. tip top.. of a ladder to attach the box to side of my Shedio, tape and more tape.. I just HAD to see if I had it put together correctly. LOL.
I'm about to hook the torch up and then I'll have my true test.
Thanks MarieAnn for the reply....much appreciated.

---> LE
Old 2010-05-06, 6:20pm
Addicted to Glass.

So... Is there room for a 2nd torch in there?

Old 2010-05-06, 7:33pm
Favorite color is shiny

As a matter of fact there is... but hey, gotta get this first one going..hee*

---> LE
Old 2010-05-07, 9:15am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Doing it yourself...! Way to go!!
I love it when I hear that women take on these projects and get'er done) Tried to teach my kids and grand daughters that they can do anything they set their minds to. Congrats.
PJH
Old 2010-05-07, 11:53am

Lynn, I think your are SOOO cool for doing this yourself. Awsome studio so far.

R#115
Old 2010-05-08, 4:49am
Favorite color is shiny

Thanks soo much for the supportive and encouraging replies. This has been quiet a project and yes through it all I've felt pretty good about myself as far as being able to do things I didn't think I could. One thing I've learned is how to "fix" a screw up...hahaha*
I want to be very clear when I say, "I'm doing this by myself" though. I had a small crew of guys actually build the Shed (you can see them in the earlier pics) but I've finished the inside. I was going to try and do the electricity, bought all the supplies, then chickened out. I thought, man wouldn't this be ironic if I electrocuted myself to the point I couldn't create OR ended up burning the studio down because of a mess up in my wiring..yikes*... so I hired someone for that. The rest I've completed though. I have a wonderful daughter who has kicked in when I needed another pair of hands, that's been really helpful. The insulating, paneling, tiling, and lots of little things like, the little recessed lights, pegboards, shelves and trim, I completed. I've built frames under all my Free cabinets to raise them higher because I read it's great to be able to stand at the torch sometimes. That idea came from this wonderful group, along with other great ideas and/or tips for:
Tiling your torch area (work bench and flooring)
Drilling through tile (whew)
The small little shelves near by for bead presses (someday)
Types of hoods for ventilation
Magnetic board with small containers attached to hold frit
Pegboards to hold tools
Magnetic strip attached to hood for keeping tools close
Rod warmer, Rod organizers (cut fence post), Rod holders
Studio Organization and Not so Organization...hahaha*
The appropriate amperage for Kiln, for a studio
The correct distance for torch, ventilation etc
Connecting duct work
Models for ventilation- inside and/or outside
Models for piping in propane (and why)
Oxycon vs. Tanked

This list could go on and on but wouldn't be complete without adding...
Safety... Safety...Safety ( I thank you)
All of this, outside, of the free tutorials and visual inspiration for melting glass
( I thank you for that as well)

With that....
I thought I would be finished this weekend BUT it's Mother's Day, so I plan to take a break and celebrate with my three wonderful daughters. I think they're giving me a gift related to my new obsession..... I've always wanted a new shiny propane tank filled to the brim with propane, a sparkling new regulator with beautiful red and green hoses all wrapped with a pretty pink bow!!!! To think... last year's Mom-day gift was a nice ring from Zales!!

---> LE
Old 2010-05-08, 4:49am
Favorite color is shiny

Sorry for the long post but I wanted you to know how much you've helped me.

---> LE
Old 2010-06-10, 11:24am
Favorite color is shiny

okay, I've stopped reading and PPP'ing long enough to take pictures of my set up. Please feel free to let me know if there is something I should change or do differently.

Once I've gotten LE approval....haha*... I would like to post my Shedio Pics so that someone else could benefit, visually, from my experiences.

---> LE