No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-08-20, 3:13pm
Torchaholic ;)

Default Mobile flameworking shop!

Im considering building a mobile studio / living space for me and My GF So we can travel the USA and Blow glass. We wanna come hang out with anyone who invites us as well. We would of course do anything and everyting we can to help out while we are there.

Im looking into trailers/ toy haulers/ buses etc.....

I know this is possible just wondering if anyone has done or seriously thought about it it and Has any info, tips, advice, 2 cents to throw in.

Not sure which route to go yet?

The electric parts would be most trouble for me prol as it would need to be able to support a whole shop setup.

Im handy and like to do stuff myself or with help of friends but not a full on do it yourself'er for some things.

Most things Ive looked at are around 8 ft width which works and is same as shed I work in now - Im looking for atleast 10ft length for shop space which again is about same as shed im in now.

Basicly first decision to make is what route to go as far as Vehicle/trailor/rv choice

I originaly thought was a Conversion van thats been decked out to live in and A 12 or 14 ft enclosed trailer that wired up and rigged to be just a shop.
we have Been wanting a van for a while so one person can sleep in a bed while we moving and we can shift drive on long crosss country hauls.

But, I own neither, lol and seems like could be an expensive option @ this point. Allthough This will be my home and transportation so Thought Being able to un hook shop and just Use van would be nice as well as the sleeping in vehicle in a bed while other is driving. Allthough I own a Bike and have no problem riding it for in town traveling. Just not sure how big of trailer a conversion van can pull? This is also prob the shortest option as far as total legth from front bumper of vehicle to back bumper of trailer. So would be easyiest for driving, specially in citys or traffic right? Also would be easiest to fit in someones yard, drive way due to small size. the other options are much longer and thus I would assume harder to find spots for. But if we end up somwhere for longer than a week Were Living in a Van, lol. I think I could do it for long time and Am used to life on the road in a truck @ this point, but the other options after this could be more comfortable. But the Size thing???????

I do own a 05' Ford f150 with 170,000 miles on it (Ive had it 3 years in Nov. and it had 18000 miles on it when I got it, LOL, Like i said Im used to being on the road)

Think Trucks got atleast another year in it maybe :/ kinda freaks me out though

So other options would be a 20 - 22ft or larger enclosed trailer thats wired up and rigged as living quarters (basicly just a bed and storage) and glass shop. Ive seen a few of these on craigslist but may build from scratch if this is chosen. Im concerned about heat, airflow and comfort in a trailer, specially as using it as a home as well. It would be rigged up to an a/c but doubt unless you were plugged in somewhere you cun run a/c and the whole shop on a gas or propane generator.?? what do you think. Maybe Muultiple generators? We do go places from time to time for a week with no elec. hookups. The Nice part about big enough trailer Is i could maybe fit my Harley into as well and move it out when were stopped Because of open floor plan you can set up however. Down side is Still traveling In Truck and there is no getting good sleep in it so no Extended Shift driving possible really. I know from experience

First two options have no sink shower toilet- Not sure If we really need em though since we mainly would be @ camp grounds or staying in friends yards etc...... But Im sure they could be nice, I duno - They could be worked into the trailer option maybe with a lil longer trailor and some research on how to rig em up but unless spending even more money on a Roadtrek or similar RV van the van options prol wont have any of those.

third option is pull a toy hauler camper with truck. Still no shift driving really but now we will have shower toilet sink stove fridge -alot of ammeneties of home when were able to hook up to em (key point- how often will we have option of hooking up). Would have to find one that has bed not in the garage area so has a seperate atleast 8X10 garage but prefer larger. This means usually alot longer camper. This is also the heaviest option I assume and the trailer option prol would be lighter thus getting me better gas mileage right?? You still can unhook from truck - but chances of having enough space for Harley too is slim *the Harley thing is not at all mandatory*** Just would be great to bring it with me- RIGHT ! HArdest to drive with this option and park @ someones intown house, but Like having a house wit you eveywhere.

We will be vending @ diff types of things from time to time while on the road so the ease doin that need to be considered. We have not done this yet so any thoughts on how that could play into this decision would be awesome.

fourth option would be some sort of Motorhome or Bus thats gutted or half gutted and turned into shop slash mobile home- def has to be most expensive option right? And you would have no other vehicle to drive and your shop would always be with you always (good or bad i dunno ). You Maybe could have a small scooter with ya , lol. But again you would have more home like amenaties when able to hook up to em. Atleast with this option you would not be pulling a trailer.

I do have long hair and a beard and Im young so I think a bus would just get me hassled all the time.

I guess any of these could be stopped @ a walmart, rest area, truck stop and slept in. But van and motorhome would be the most on the Down Low for sleeping there.

Also Things to think about are power/electricty/generator situation. I imagine the toy hauler rv's or motorhomes generator and or power system could not handle having a shop also goin. So you would have to have seperate elec sytems I assume and would have to do similar thing if converting an enclosed trailer right or bus?? I know very little about electricity and correct ways to do things. Specially In a mobile situation like this.

Could a gas or propane generator power a vent fan or fans, shop lights, kiln, personal fan and small radio? what would be best way power this thing ? Could it generators contained somewhere permanent?

I would obviously wanna use quite generators, no one like those loud ones.

Thanks in Advance to anyone who can throw in there 2 cents !!!! I really wanna think this out and do it the best way I can.

Thanks - JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brayjr4484; 2010-08-20 at 4:05pm.
Old 2010-08-21, 8:59am
Salt Box Beads

There is a fellow here in Redding that wants to do the same thing. He has checked out all of the options and the cost is high to do what you want. He said he has to work full time for 2-3 years to pay for his dream. An old bus conversion.

An old bus converted by you is the best way. They sell them cheap at auctions.

Good luck.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-08-21 at 5:34pm. Reason: to add bus conversion
Old 2010-08-21, 8:17pm
Torchaholic ;)

thanks for info!

Old 2010-08-22, 9:52am
Still Missing You

Old bus conversion to live in and large pull behind trailer for shop and scooter.

Looking at buses myself. Auctions coming up in OK soon and hopefully will find something there. I looked into the motorhomes, but prefer the stability of the bus frame (handles better on the road) and reliability of the bus engines...not to mention all the storage space in the basement of the bus. Down side of the bus - more expensive repairs.

Good luck whatever route you take.

Heroes don't wear capes, they they wear dog tags.
Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth.
The things you take for granted...someone else is praying for.
Old 2010-08-22, 2:08pm
Torchaholic ;)

Thank you and Right back @ you

Old 2010-08-23, 11:47pm
Torchaholic ;)

Can anyone tell me about the machines that can fill my oxygen tanks . What are they called? I thought that they are oxygen generators but I can only find ones that you run torches off of. I want something that can fill my tanks up? Does that exsist? Can anyone tell me about them? What Kind would I want?

Last edited by brayjr4484; 2010-08-24 at 12:43am.
Old 2010-08-24, 1:55pm
"swinger"

that sure would be a funthing to do - good luck
Old 2010-08-24, 2:45pm
Torchaholic ;)

Goin to Look at a Fun Mover class c motorhome/toyhauler tommorrow Im so excited

Old 2010-08-25, 4:20pm

Last year at our RV park a guy pulled up with a 5th wheel that had a "toy hauler" on the back end of the trailer with separating doors.

Ever since then my mind has been on that rig and how I could set it up for my glass studio. So when I retire from working a full time day job at the job this is exactly what my plan to do is. Now here's the catch ... if I stuck with tanked oxy then my husband would always have to drive the truck (you need a special ticket on your license to haul dangerous goods - fortunately for me he has his AZ license plus dangerous goods ticket) ... but I thought another way around it would be to get an oxycon big enough to support my Nortel Major torch.

Of course you would need at least a step-up from an F150 to be able to haul the monster trailer and the glass studio.

Have also thought of the "covered utility trailer" hitched up to the RV but then you would be driving a "train" (unless you have a van big enough to haul a trailer like that - OR - a motorhome)

Old 2010-08-26, 10:06am
Torchaholic ;)

I ended up getting the driveable Motorhome class C RV/toy hauler Im so excited to start building the shop in it! So you have to have a special permit/license to transport oxygen tanks??? I drive with mine in bed of truck to tade em in, am I doin this illegal.

Old 2010-08-27, 4:04pm
Torchaholic ;)

Here are pics of camper, love to hear what yall would do. Im thinkin pull everything off of the wall on the right. Build bench that folds up then ataches to wall. Oxy tanks and kiln behind me on ther wall. Cords and hoses run out the openings at bottom of walls. Not sure what to do for ventilation but there is two vents in area on ceiling. Pull out all the carpet in shop area. trying to decide on road worthy color holding idea as well as clear tube and rods. When we are driving the bench will be attched to wall and my Harley will be tied down in that spot, so glass storage also wall behind me when Im workin or in moveable containers maybe. Also need idea to protect kiln from road vibrations while traveling. Im goin to get a honda generator to run the kiln or have it plugged in to a seperate breaker than the rest of the camper so we can still run a/c if needed @ the same time. there is one plug in with two power bars in the shop. Im goin to plug fan for exhaust and shop lights into those outlets. cant wait to hear what yall think.

for all of the pics of the whole camper got my FB
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/a...00000909610456
Attached Images

Old 2010-08-27, 4:52pm

That is pretty much what I have in mind except I want the ramp to open to the annexed side, not straight out the back. That way I can run the propane hose and ventilation through the back window. It also lets me run an annex roof over the ramp entry for shade and some privacy. I figure an aluminium checkerplate floor would be my pick of flooring or maybe thick rubber. The ones I have seen had either one or the other, no carpet or anything.

I also considered the fold up bench top and haven't worked out if that would be more trouble than its worth since I am putting the concentrators under there and a couple of rolling chairs, the bench may as well be fixed in place.. I really want the torches to be safely fixed etc. That will need more thought.

The rear door leading in to the living area is normally in the middle so I want a cupboard on either side to that, to store glass etc. Since I use a toolbox type annealer I can put that on a small shelf at around eye height or something. It may fit on the torch bench while in use.

I have been thinking about glass storage a bit. Trying to work out the safest way to store it so that I minimise breakage etc and I am thinking of lined drawers (a bit like a map cupboard with shallow drawers). Or would a more vertical storage be better like angled slots? I have quite a few fence post pieces currently and still want to use them. I am still back and forth on that.

I tried to look at your FB but haven't permission to view the photo's unfortunately.

Good Luck with your van conversion and I will be following it closely!

Cheers
Kym
Old 2010-08-27, 9:03pm
Torchaholic ;)

My page is public but you need an account to use FB. Thanks for the ideas and help!
The carpet is coming out for sure. Im goin to take everyting down and safely store it when traveling. Fold up bench is a must to Fit my Harley in. Hope to see you rockin a mobile shop soon as well. Enough of us do this may there may have to be a club soon, lol.

Old 2010-10-17, 6:32pm
Torchaholic ;)

Got slowed down from travels and got workin on shop Here are a few updated pics. Any Idea on Ventilation?

Big thanks to N~Dark for helping me!

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ileshop008.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ileshop009.jpg

Old 2010-10-17, 7:29pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Ventilation - look into a 'Super Fan' sold at all RV supply places; cost about $95. It could be roof mounted over bench and have some sort of hood hanging down. It has an outside cover for when you're on the road.
There are several alternatives for oxygen. Couple of oxycons and a "homefill" unit to pump up tanks. A system described on <thegldg.com> fills a air compressor type tank to 100 psi or so via an oil-less compressor. That system is about half way between the larger oxycons and the 'homefill' system cost wise. Just plain old tanks is about the smallest area wise and probably cheaper in the long run... no electricity required. Tanks can bbe legally transported on the road in your trailer.
Most RV parks will supply about 30 amps some less so keep that in mind.
I would also advise corner jack stands for when you're parked for extra stability moving around in the trailer.
PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-10-17 at 7:33pm.
Old 2010-10-18, 10:37am
Torchaholic ;)

thanks for the good advice!!!

Old 2010-10-20, 2:24pm

Location: Indian River County, Florida originally from Connecticut
Default Looks great

Keep on posting pictures.
thanks,
Old 2010-11-08, 2:45pm
Torchaholic ;)

Me Rockin the Mobile shop in Parking Lot @ glassroots show in Madison.

I got a 1350 cfm attic fan up as you can see in the pic, do you think thats good enough for ventilation? there is clean air comin in from openings in the floor.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...madison206.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...madison223.jpg

CONGRATS to Winners of the FLAMEOFF @ GlassRoots!!

Collage of Piece and Artists by Kiley Willison

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...hopmadison.jpg

Old 2010-11-09, 9:30am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If you haven't I would suggest a smoke bomb test. It may be just the perspective but the pic makes it look like the fan pulls the gasses straight up and directly past and around your face. The idea is to get the bad stuff out before you breath'em so I would check that out.
The studio looks great otherwise; seems to be roomy and bright. Looks like a lot of fun traveling and torching.
PJH
Old 2010-11-09, 10:38am
Torchaholic ;)

I agree about fan and will try smoke bomb test asap, not sure what else to do though, that where the hole for the vent all ready was, thought about a blast sheild maybe to block my facce from things but would rather figure something better out. Its all ready so close to my head, if a hood got involved it would have to be very small.

Last edited by brayjr4484; 2010-11-09 at 10:41am.
Old 2010-11-09, 3:38pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Mobile vent hood

How about something like this?
Attached Images

Old 2010-11-09, 3:58pm
Torchaholic ;)

I love your drawing! lol I see what your saying and that is a good idea for a hood, thank you

Old 2010-11-21, 11:47pm
Torchaholic ;)

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ileshopnew.jpg

Ventilation is workin better now with the board directing air flow and may try to fine tune it even more. Got the shop lights all hung and its nice and bright in shop now. Also got kiln road worthy, its on straped down on 4in foam and is packed tight wit a pillow as instructed by the person who made it. Goin to my grandparents tommorrow to say goodbye and let them watch me blow glass in mobile shop. They have been askin to watch since I started, but now I can bring the show to them but they dont know I own a RV or that Im leavin, lol should be interesting. thanks everyone for your help!!!!

Old 2010-11-22, 12:10pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Closing in the sides of the board will help a great deal.
PJH
Old 2010-11-23, 11:38am
Just Me!

Cool

Very nice.
I'm in Total Envy of you.
How freakin' awesome to be able to just travel wherever you want - whenever you want and flamework at the same time.
Heaven, that's all it is, Heaven.............Val
Old 2010-11-23, 12:18pm
Torchaholic ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Closing in the sides of the board will help a great deal.
PJH
I also thought of that and plan on it!!!!

Old 2010-11-23, 12:27pm
Torchaholic ;)

Thanks for the Kind words Val!!! This is indeed a dream come true for me. If you would have asked me a lil over a year ago. If I would end up a nomadic glass blower I would have told you, you are nutz, but I like the way you think! Ive felt the urge to be nomadic for a while now, just had no idea how to still make somewhat of a living on the road. Im so happy that I decided to just go for it and learn to blow glass a year ago. Its made me feel very good about myself and has become a catlyst for following other dreams as well. Ive learned that your dreams can be achieved if your willing to put in alot of hard work and not give up when you reach an obsticle. I really have to thank everyone on this Forum for helping me along the way and getting me past some of those obstacles I hope I can return the favor someday!

~only ACTION has the POWER to turn KNOWLEDGE into WISDOM~

Last edited by brayjr4484; 2010-11-23 at 12:30pm.
Old 2010-11-27, 7:50pm
in my happy place

hi! good luck with your mobile studio, it looks great and I hope it all works out for you! It reminded me of this couple who work out of a short bus...

http://sites.google.com/site/shortbu...-deal-with-SBG
Old 2010-11-27, 9:11pm
It's about having fun!

I'm following this thread! Would love to hear of your adventures! Good Luck!!!
Old 2010-12-12, 9:43pm
Torchaholic ;)

Sorry to leave ya all hanging, got crazy busy trying to leave then been workin non stop since we got to Florida!

Here are some pics of the shop loaded down for travel then unloaded and set up.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...nsacola026.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...nsacola028.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...nsacola027.jpg

and here is a link to an album of my new art and other pics From Pensacola

http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/x...urtle%20glass/