Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-18, 7:00pm
I like fire....

Default anyone doing larger beads with a HH?

while I practice and learn. I dream of doing bigger items. Is it possible to do larger beads and even marbles (soft coe 104) with a Hot Head torch running MAPP gas?
Or
Must I plan to get a bigger torch when my skills get to that point??

your ideas and thoughts are great - pictures even better..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-18, 7:25pm

I didn't know of any limitations when I started and regularly made over 1" encased beads. The took forever, but it's doable. I switched primarily because it was sooting up my glass.

There are quite a few people who've stuck with their hothead and do big beads and large murrini gathers. patience os the key!

Ultimately though, I think most people make the switch to an oxy/propane torch eventually. And a kiln. And a concentrator...

Last edited by Robinj; 2012-10-18 at 7:28pm.
Old 2012-10-18, 10:05pm
Naysayer

When I was on a HH I made large beads, small bottles and ornaments, but I think my patience would wear thin on a marble. Well, I suppose small marbles I would've done.
Old 2012-10-18, 11:01pm
I like fire....

any one got picture examples of what you have done with a HH???
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-18, 11:04pm
I speak Murrini!

I'm on a Hot Head - have been for nearly 6 years.

I routinely make beads 3/4" to 1 1/4" - but most of mine are made on a 3/16" - 1/2" Mandrel, which takes up some of the overall size. I would say on average, a 3/4" to 1" bead, with base color, murrini applied and fully clear encased takes me anywhere from 15-25 minutes to make; here's a few examples:

This Mandarin Goby Bead is 1 1/2":

Lager beads are definitely do-able! In time, with practice, you will get to know heat management and how to keep the bead warm overall without losing your detail, thus preventing thermal shock but still being able to make larger items and even some sculptural elements. These Baby Dragons on large-holed beads are a good example:

Marbles can also be created - within reason!

These average about 3/4" to 1 1/8"

Continued next post...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-10-18, 11:06pm
I like fire....

wow, thanks. Those are great examples.
Old 2012-10-18, 11:09pm
I speak Murrini!

Larger items, such as the Turtle Pendants - done using with Mary's ("Moth") Tutorial - are also a great deal of fun! They are about 1 3/4" or so:

So keep at it and don't give up! It may take a little longer on a Hot Head, but it's a wonderful journey - enjoy the ride!

If you've not stumbled onto this thread yet, be sure to check it out - some absolutely gorgeous and stunning work shown: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24873

Old 2012-10-19, 12:24am

I made whoppers on my hot head.

2" to 3" long skinnies (though not as skinny as on my cricket now)

Big lentils 1.5" in diameter
Big encased florals

I seldom made small beads, most of mine were 1" range.

Some things just take a bit more concentration on the heat control and then of course time was a huge factor.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2012-10-19, 7:09am
one day at a time

I have made beads as large as 30mm on the HH.
Old 2012-10-19, 8:14am
Glass-aholic

For a while I had been making wine stoppers on the HH. The big bushy flame is a great incubator.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-10-22, 12:14pm
I like fire....

with practice - will I be able to get to do nice detail work?
I think my problem is i end up over heating my beads and loose my details...
Old 2012-10-22, 8:22pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey Ritch - without knowing exact how "detailed" you want to work, I would say YES, you can! I don't know if you've seen Holly Cooper's amazing work, but she is astounding with what she does on a Hot Head!!! I think she sets the bar, and many of us aspire to be able to work like she does...someday! Here's a link to her site - prepare to be floored! http://www.hollycooper.com/AvailableWork.html

Old 2012-10-23, 3:41am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Ritch - you need to check out this thread! http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24873

It's pages and pages of people showing what's possible on a HotHead, including INCREDIBLY fine detail work - though that's someone working on tanked propane with a regulator.

I work with tanked propane, currently unregulated, and find that it's a massive amount more power, at the price of slightly less control. I do some huge focals, you can definitely manage on a HotHead. Let me see if I have any pictures handy...

L-111

Old 2012-10-23, 4:44am
I like fire....

your saying adding a regulator can give you that much extra control. I might have to look at that. I do have 3 tanks I keep at home just for BBQing. I do like to burn things

thanks.
Old 2012-10-23, 10:36am
burnin' glass just becuz

i worked exclusively on a HH with 1lb propane tank for about 2.5yrs until i outgrew it. Biggest bead i made was 3" long about 3/4" wide and 1/2" thick. The HH's bushy flame is great for long and relatively thin beads and for detailed work (with practice of course), it gets a bit more challenging to get the heat to penetrate tho once you increase the thickness. I'm assuming on a bigger tank of propane i could've worked even bigger/thicker as i wouldn't have had the constant freezing issues - that limited my work time to 1.5hrs at time.

Once i moved to thicker and more complex beads that took more time the HH w/small tanks didn't work for me anymore so i upgraded to a Mega Minor and from there a Lucio. I've tried a bunch of torches since then and IMO, nothing reduces as nicely as the HH. I still have mine and occasionnally bust it out...

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-10-23, 11:00am
I like fire....

I been looking online at hoses and regulators.
I found a MR heater hose with a regulator built in (so to speak) but the regulator is not adjustable it is preset at 5psi.
do I want an adjustable one or will a preset work for most things??