Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-27, 7:38am
Loving learning

Default Favorite button mandrels?

Do you have one that you love?
I want to make some buttons for my DDIL for Christmas to give her along with a yarn bowl (she's a knitter), but I only have one button mandrel. I tossed it in my shopping cart on a whim (looks kind of like a small tuning fork.) and I've tried it 4-5 times and am beginning to get the hang of making a button that won't cut the thread/yarn used to sew it on.
In order to move the button production along a bit faster I think I need to be able to make at least 2-3 per session.

Before I order more of what I have, I wondered if I could have some input on what you have and how you like it.

PS. I've also made a few with a "bead shank", but was looking for the other type for this.
Old 2012-10-27, 7:43am
Mr Brutus RIP

Eileen, that is what I have. I have 3 3/32 and 1 1/16 (never use it tho) Love those!
I also use a 3/32 and a next size up mandrel (not sure the size) to make the shank style ones. Buttons are my favorite thing to make!!! If I can help at all let me know ok!
Someone on here had a tutorial to make one that you could do 2 holes, 3 holes and 4 hole buttons and how to make the mandrel but I don't' remember who. I bet if you search on etsy or here for button mandrels you will find it.
If you look in my etsy shop you can see the shank style and others, might spark ideas and if you need help remember to email or pm me ok!!
sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-10-27, 8:00am
Loving learning

Sue, thank you! I just went & looked & you sure do have some cute ones

I asked her if she ever used one button with her knitting & she said yes, and that she also has a button collection of sorts, just saves buttons she likes & sometimes raids those for buttons to use. I thought it would be fun to make her some, possibly a set once I get a little better, LOL.
Old 2012-10-27, 8:03am
flight risk

I just took three mandrels and taped them together using duct tape (the real, heat proof stuff). A center one for the handle, one overlapping on each side for the "tines". You could probably cut bent mandrels to use for the tines.

Old 2012-10-27, 8:10am
Loving learning

Oooo, off to see if my duct tape is the real stuff!
Old 2012-10-27, 8:11am
Mr Brutus RIP

Great idea Glenda!! I have having to stop once I'm on a roll making buttons which is why I started with the shank style. Your way and I wouldn't have to stop!!!

Old 2012-10-27, 2:24pm
Loving learning

Aaaand I went to the store with 2 objectives in mind, a birthday gift for a 4 year old and a roll of duct tape. The birthday girl will get a gift tomorrow, but...
Old 2012-10-27, 4:21pm
Mr Brutus RIP

awe, that stinks I hate when I forget to get something I need, especially when I walk the whole store with a list in my hand!!!

Old 2012-10-27, 6:03pm
Loving learning

I didn't bother with a list, after all I thought, it's only 2 things!
Old 2012-10-27, 6:06pm
Mr Brutus RIP

two things easily turn into twenty with me