Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-12-06, 3:20am
kinda torching....

Default ARRGGGHH! Bubble Trouble..

So I'm trying to blow out a bubble for tubing implosions, doesn't matter what I'm making really, and I'm getting ridges and streaks of clear glass,and some times pock mark like craters. Its really starting to drive me nuts!

What I'm trying to find out is if its my glass(unknown brands) or if its because I'm using an oxycon, and not getting a good enough heat base maybe?(something I think I'm experiencing)

I will be switching to liquid or tanks most likely in the future, especially if that's my issue.

I've tried blowing the bubble out with gentle puffs and long continues blowing with no difference. I'm pretty sure that it is not so much as my technique as is my oxy or glass supply, though id love to be wrong...

I've never had this much trouble when working on liquid oxygen, different torch but same make and model.
Oh and I'm running a natty 8m with sm7 tip on a 10lpm 20psi oxycon. Lpms set at 10 and oxy valve fully open.

Oh and I know that I need a new propane reg ir to get mine rebuilt, but I don't think that's the issue.

Please advise, and thanks in advance!

Jeremy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-06, 5:06am
He can do the origami

I have used a smaller oxycon in years passed and had no issue pulling points then blowing out a bubble. When you say you are getting ridges though, this will often indicate areas of cooler glass and or uneven wall thickness. I am not sure what the pock marks are. And the "streaks of clear" could be areas where the glass was too cool when you blew it out or you blew it too fast for the amount of heat and it can cause what I might term as "streaks of clear". However I am not quite sure what you mean. Overall trying to envision your description though I would say not enough heat, uneven heat and uneven wall thickness. Pictured would help immensely.

Otter
Old 2013-12-06, 5:23am
kinda torching....

I'll see what I can do about pics later this evening. I wasn't using tube much bigger then my 12mm blow tube. Consistently in the flame and rotating for an even heat base. I'm even rotating as I blow it out.

If my purity was low, that would cause a cooler flame right? Hence not enough heat maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-06, 5:27am
kinda torching....

And ridges is fitting, and Its kinda like stretch marks.

As far as blowing to fast for the amount of heat, can you elaborate for me? Maybe that's my issue?

Old 2013-12-07, 7:21am

You could try lowering the lpm output on your concentrator to get better purity of oxy. I run my 10 lpm machine at 8-9 lpm for my Scorpion outer fire, and my 5lpm at 4lpm on the inner fire. I have read that you shouldn't run at full capacity as the purity suffers. Hope you can sort the problems out.
Jennie

Old 2013-12-07, 10:19am
old fart

wall thickness to thin, and not symmetrical....then when you blow, keep going do not stop or it will freeze with a crease

Old 2013-12-07, 10:34am

Uneven heat usually isn't caused by a cooler flame. It doesn't help getting it hot though. It could be how you are closing the end of the tube though. Are you using a double ended point? Coiling a tube?

Some times you need to blow it out a small bit then recondense it a bit before blowing to full size. This helps to even out the walls of the tube.

You also should wait a second to let the heat even out after pulling it out of the flame.

My bubbles still suck but are getting better with practice.

Ornaments aren't quite round, but tube implosions and combs come out ok.

Chuck