No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-01-03, 10:22am
Lava Maker

Thumbs up Dip-n-Go SLUDGE ULTRA - OMG

I love the convenience of flame drying my mandrels. So, when I ran out of my favorite, I went to Arrow Springs and found they now have a new one.

OK, I ordered it, with fear and trepidations. OMG I am delighted with my purchase.

I found it smooth, easy to dry and proceeded to torch. I liked that it changed color as it dried.

Since I have a day job and torch when it allows, I need something that will keep on the mandrel for later use. I loaded up my mandrel holders with various sizes and torched that day. Then over the next week, used them all up. Even after sitting a week, no problem with flaking or chipping.

Way to go Arrow Springs.

Ann De

P.S. I forgot to mention how easy it was to remove when I finished annealing. No soaking required!

Ann DeHoff

Last edited by dehoffa; 2016-01-03 at 10:26am.
Old 2016-01-03, 12:18pm
I fart diamonds

Haven't tried the Ultra, but I love the others. I've had mandrels dipped for years that are still good. (I don't make beads very often.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-01-03, 2:06pm

Great to know.

I'm just about of out my Super Blue Sludge and know that this was the replacement.

The blue can be a bit tough to clean out of the beads than some of my other bead releases. Glad to hear this cleans out easily as well.

I feel a shopping trip coming up!! LOL

Old 2016-01-03, 2:11pm

I like it too.
Old 2016-01-03, 3:20pm
Slogan Challenged...

They sent me a sample with an order, and I got some more immediately. Love the stuff, it's my new go-to. I can get most of the beads off the mandrel by hand afterwards, but I find cleaning the beads themselves is a little tougher.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-01-03, 7:02pm
Lava Maker

My DH came up with a trick, heat the beads to about 150 in CLR, yep the lime cleaner. Leave about 30 minutes. Breaks down the agents. I haven't done any silver glass this way, but normal glad and encasement does well.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2016-01-04, 7:04pm

I like it, also. Don't the smell as it heats up, though.

Georgia
Old 2016-01-05, 12:27am

Has anyone tried it with Boro I would be interested - I like what I have now - but I am always happy to get something new

feel free to friend me on FB if you can handle bead pics, dog pics and family pics -
Old 2016-01-05, 12:37am
Slogan Challenged...

I will say that I mix mine with a bit of Alice's. and that I have used it for boro. Although I do tend to make smaller beads and not work them that long, it has held up very well.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-01-05, 10:15am
Lava Maker

Yes, the CLR does smell. I take it out on the patio. Plug it in and come back later. In our Houston Summers, I put it in a plastic container, then put it out in the sun for the afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glvz View Post
I like it, also. Don't the smell as it heats up, though.

Georgia

Ann DeHoff
Old 2016-01-05, 11:13am
Flame Dames Rule!

Yep, the new dip n' go ultra is really, really good! I dip a lot of mandrels at once and sometimes they sit for over a month, and never any problems..

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2016-01-05, 5:00pm
A True Woofer

I love that stuff, too!

Old 2016-01-07, 10:45pm

Mine came today ... can't wait to try it.

Old 2016-01-10, 2:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
Yep, the new dip n' go ultra is really, really good! I dip a lot of mandrels at once and sometimes they sit for over a month, and never any problems..
Same here.
Old 2016-01-12, 2:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
Is the ultra stronger than the regular blue? Does it come in regular, or only the dip 'n go?
Old 2016-01-16, 2:44pm
Artistically Absorbed

I love the Ultra too! To answer if it is stronger than Super Blue the answer is No. You can do boro with it, but it is not as strong as Super Blue. Both are fantastic I only use Sludge... for me it is the best I've used even if it is harder to clean up, it is worth the holding power.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Tags
customer service, mandrel release