Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-13, 7:13pm

Thanks so much for looking Paula! The two rods on the bottom are violet but I don't think they are the dark violet. If the top rod is the same kind of reddish purple that would be the dark violet. Its very very dark, I have to hold mine up to a light to see if its black or purple. Its the dark violet I am looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-13, 8:49pm
Remember to keep smiling

Sonja that last rod is very dark I will send it off to you tomorrow and hopeful it is the one you need. I am sorry I only have the one rod its about 10" long. Is the address in Raogk the one you would like for me to use?

SRA#P109
Old 2010-08-14, 5:25am

Thank you Paula! Yes that address is fine. Do you want me to pay you for shipping ? I would be happy to pay for both the glass and the rod.

Old 2010-08-14, 10:06am
Remember to keep smiling

NO NO I just hope it is one you can use. I will mail it out today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Thank you Paula! Yes that address is fine. Do you want me to pay you for shipping ? I would be happy to pay for both the glass and the rod.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-08-14, 11:05am

Thank you so much! Do let me know when I can return the favor!

Old 2010-08-15, 8:44am

I have 8 3/4 rods of the dark violet! Do you still need any?
Old 2010-08-15, 9:18am

Yes please! Let me know how much you want for them plus shipping please! I need to make 10 of these big honking chandelier drops lol.
Actually, they are teaching me a LOT about working with a really big piece of glass on a very small mandrel and I am learning a huge amount about how glass moves, how I need to move it to make it do what I want etc. Its quite a challenge but really, without stuff like this, I would not learn things nearly as fast.

Old 2010-08-17, 6:47pm
Remember to keep smiling

Recieved a new order from Devardi had to show off the brown and blue.
I really love this brown

Name:  081710squirel1.JPG
Views: 1426
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  081710squirel2.JPG
Views: 1434
Size:  46.5 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2010-08-17, 8:05pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I really like the brown! What color and number is it?

Ebay:
Old 2010-08-17, 8:17pm
Remember to keep smiling

Hi Killerbeedz1 the brown did not have a numerical number only stated (NCN OP-Medium Brown) I really like how it has dark and lighter browns in it.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-08-18, 5:32am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I really like what you DID with the brown Paula! Very cute. That blue is so pretty too - which is it?
Old 2010-08-18, 10:06am

That brown is a great color! I will have to get some to try. And your critters are just the cutest!
Old 2010-08-18, 10:31am
Remember to keep smiling

Thank you for the comps everyone. Kristina I am really not sure what blue that is. I had order some Light baby blue color and this was one of the free gift colors I was going to try to match it to Devardi chart and order some along with some more of that yummy brown color. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-08-19, 10:58am

Does anyone know when the next shipment is due?
Old 2010-08-19, 11:03am

end of the month I believe. Let me go check my newsletter.

Old 2010-08-19, 11:04am

Okay here it is.

The next shipment of glass is on its way. We expect it to be available by the end of August or beginning of September. In this next shipment, we have a number of new colors arriving that we have yet to carry. So that should be fun. Also arriving will be stringers in 50 different colors. We’ve received some samples of these stringers and they are excellent. The Indian Marbled Glass in the Gray and Butterscotch will also arrive in large quantities, along with the Lipstick. These colors have really turned out to be some exceptional glass. We should have enough this time around.

Old 2010-08-19, 11:42am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Can't wait to see the next go round of colors and goodies!
Old 2010-08-19, 4:28pm

I guess it is time to start my list! Thanks for the info.
Old 2010-08-19, 6:26pm
Slave to the Flame

Natasha! I got my little box of glass today! It is wonderful looking! A few broken rods, but nothing that can't be put back together again! hehe, it is wonderful looking. Thank you so much! Bere is so excited to try this out! She already cleaned it and has it all together into a box! Now I need to read this whole thread again, just so I know everything! hehe

HUGS Natasha!
Laura

Our Website!

Our Latest ITEMS

Supplies

Our BLOG
Old 2010-08-20, 6:30am
StudioMarcy

I use this glass a lot too. I am heading back to read the rest of the thread. There are some really great colors that I absolutely love and Natasha is a sweetheart.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-08-20, 4:47pm
...displaced ocean lover

Okay, YIKES! I guess I should have asked some questions b/f I bought some of this glass.

Are ANY of the rods EVER even?! OMG I am so bummed.

Some rods aren't labeled.
Most are chipped, cracked...sigh...one rod isn't even round - it's C shaped! Seriously?! I'm going to post a pic so you can see if this is normal.

I tried to use one...preheated it for about 30 minutes. Shocky is NOT what this was. It exploded and sent up little cracks all the way up the rod - okay, maybe 3 or 4 inches up the rod but I couldn't get it under control. It's a sparkly kind of pink. Sheesh, not labeled.

Help?
Old 2010-08-20, 5:37pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
Okay, YIKES! I guess I should have asked some questions b/f I bought some of this glass.

Are ANY of the rods EVER even?! OMG I am so bummed.

Some rods aren't labeled.
Most are chipped, cracked...sigh...one rod isn't even round - it's C shaped! Seriously?! I'm going to post a pic so you can see if this is normal.

I tried to use one...preheated it for about 30 minutes. Shocky is NOT what this was. It exploded and sent up little cracks all the way up the rod - okay, maybe 3 or 4 inches up the rod but I couldn't get it under control. It's a sparkly kind of pink. Sheesh, not labeled.

Help?

Poor Sweetie. Here are a few points that I hope will help. I have been using the glass for a good while now, as have many others. Once you know what to expect and how to handle the glass it can be easily worked with.

This glass can be 'shocking' unless you use a Rod Warmer, or unless you have a LOT of patience to warm and preheat in the high flame, and then bring it down by degrees into the working area of the flame. Almost everyone gets a Rod Warmer or arranges one using a hot plate or some such.

The rods are hand pulled. The irregularity comes from that. They do come in all shapes. They are intensely color saturated and are low heat/low melting point. The low price is part of why the sizes of rods aren't standardized, but you can work with them, and you can pull thick stringers for finer work.

Be sure to go through the Devardi videos on their site at:
http://www.youtube.com/mailbuggy#p/u/0/izrTtkc_YRk

There is a lot of info on this thread, and you can scan and read as things catch your eye. People will help you if you post questions or ask for it here. Also, Natasha at Devardi is wonderful. Email her and she will respond to any issue or questions you have.

Let us know if we can answer any other questions.
Old 2010-08-20, 5:57pm

I stick the rods I am going to use on top of my kiln so they get good and hot. When I am using multiple colors for a bead, when I switch colors, I let the first color cool just enough that it doesn't pick up anything from my fiber blanket on the bottom of my kiln then stick about a quarter of the rod inside my kiln. I rarely have any problems with shocking any more when I do this. But a rod warmer works just as well, and I will be purchasing one as soon as funds aren't as tight so I don't use up the space in my kiln lol.

Old 2010-08-20, 8:13pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

When I got mine I annealed it in the kiln before I used it. That worked with about 95% of the colors (don't do it with light transparents, including clear). I don't use a rod warmer and the top of my kiln doesn't get hot, but I have put the tips of the rods inside the kiln. I find it easiest to be patient and heat it slowly at the end of the flame. Don't "dip" too far into the flame, just start with the edge on the end and then you can dip more like other rods you are used to. While I'm not thrilled with the popping, I'm used to handling the glass now, and the price and certain colors are worth it.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-08-21, 8:03am

Roo Blaty, I am sorry that you have not had a good experience with the Devardi glass. Preheating really is the way to go with this glass. I (as others) put the rods on top or just inside the door of the kiln. The pinks and greens alone are worth this trouble! The SO colors are so unique!
As for the labels on the glass, I have received at least one labeled rod in each rubber banded color. I have never purchased the variety pack or shorts, but can not imagine that they would be labeled.
Please go back through this thread or ask us questions and give it another try!
Old 2010-08-21, 12:02pm

Also if you want to know what particular color a rod is post a pic and chance are good we can tell you what it is lol. I think I have close to all the colors at this point.

Old 2010-08-21, 2:41pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

You can also go to the Devardi site and see their Color Charts. They have a zillion colors it seems!
Old 2010-08-23, 5:59am
...displaced ocean lover

Red face shock and ohhhhh....

Well, first let me say THANK YOU to all who have responded and PM'd me.
I really wasn't sure if anyone was paying attention to this thread anymore! (that would be my luck)

Soooo....that little pink rod is hopeless. I didn't anneal it though, so maybe I'll try that with what is left of the tiny thing. I had already read part of the thread and DID preheat the rods but maybe not enough?

Ever the little trooper - yesterday, I did like you guys suggested, as far as putting them in the kiln AND on the kiln. ---Frankly, you'd think they'd be prewarmed already b/c it's about 110 in the garage!

And I do agree that they have some pretty colors but I don't know if I'm going to be able to use these gianormous rods. The bubbles, dirt and cracks in them are just as shocking as the glass itself. I reeeeeeeeally should have asked someone who uses this glass BEFORE I bought it.

I DID take some photos yesterday so maybe you guys could help me identify what I got (I could have sworn I paid extra for them to come labeled). My pink sampler came with 2 rods! The blue and the champagne sampler came with 4 or 5 I think.

Yesterday, I put all the rods in the kiln but it's hard to make anything but monochrome beads b/c my kiln is a couple of steps away (I can see why you'd need a rod warmer). However, the rods get way too hot for me to handle them except from the top so I lose a lot of control. And even though the top of my kiln gets pretty hot, it wasn't hot enough apparently b/c I had the explosions again.

I might just be too nervous for this glass! I'm going to try again today to pull the canes down into something I can handle. I've never seen anything this huge. And I did pull some stringers so maybe my monochromatic beads can at least have a little spot of color!

Thanks again and I will post pics of the rods later today. All of your help is so appreciated by this nervous wreck of a beader!
Old 2010-08-23, 6:02am

A quick clean for dirty rods: put them in your dishwasher! Works every time for me!
Old 2010-08-23, 6:33am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
Well, first let me say THANK YOU to all who have responded and PM'd me.
I really wasn't sure if anyone was paying attention to this thread anymore! (that would be my luck)

Soooo....that little pink rod is hopeless. I didn't anneal it though, so maybe I'll try that with what is left of the tiny thing. I had already read part of the thread and DID preheat the rods but maybe not enough?

Ever the little trooper - yesterday, I did like you guys suggested, as far as putting them in the kiln AND on the kiln. ---Frankly, you'd think they'd be prewarmed already b/c it's about 110 in the garage!

And I do agree that they have some pretty colors but I don't know if I'm going to be able to use these gianormous rods. The bubbles, dirt and cracks in them are just as shocking as the glass itself. I reeeeeeeeally should have asked someone who uses this glass BEFORE I bought it.

I DID take some photos yesterday so maybe you guys could help me identify what I got (I could have sworn I paid extra for them to come labeled). My pink sampler came with 2 rods! The blue and the champagne sampler came with 4 or 5 I think.

Yesterday, I put all the rods in the kiln but it's hard to make anything but monochrome beads b/c my kiln is a couple of steps away (I can see why you'd need a rod warmer). However, the rods get way too hot for me to handle them except from the top so I lose a lot of control. And even though the top of my kiln gets pretty hot, it wasn't hot enough apparently b/c I had the explosions again.

I might just be too nervous for this glass! I'm going to try again today to pull the canes down into something I can handle. I've never seen anything this huge. And I did pull some stringers so maybe my monochromatic beads can at least have a little spot of color!

Thanks again and I will post pics of the rods later today. All of your help is so appreciated by this nervous wreck of a beader!

Roo,

If you are just warming the rods and then crossing the room with them, that is not preheating. A Rod Warmer (or kiln) preheats the end of the rod to over 800 degrees. Then you return the rod to the Rod Warmer to keep it at that temperature for your next use. The very thick rods MUST have a true preheating. They take time to preheat, but they can be pulled into thick stringers to use easily if they are truly preheated before going in the flame.

You do not need to preheat the stringers. They can be used directly.

I have gotten a lot of glass from Devardi, and the rods may be irregular and may need a quick wipe down with alcohol or a tissue, but what I have received has never come full of "bubbles, dirt and cracks"...

Please contact Natasha if your order is as bad as you are portraying... something very out of the ordinary was sent to you!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi