Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-05, 7:39am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
he's really cute just the way he is. I use that brown a lot too. haven't tried lipstick. does it striate?
I really like it, and if I remember right, working it softly produces great results. I need to test it more. It's a very nice glass.
Old 2010-12-05, 4:01pm
Glass Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
I tried and tried to make the copper black work. No luck. I even dug out my hot head and tried that. I was not able to make it work. The metallic black is great though!
I have some of the copper black. I can get the copper to come out pretty easy just by letting it cool then flashing it in and out of the lower blue cone on my HotHead. The problem is that before I even get to that step I have already overheated the glass and it goes all red streaky. The silver black I have no problems with burning but the copper is a pain in the ass.
Old 2010-12-06, 6:02am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I have more mice this morning... it comes from looking at Netsuke to long!

For the little Netsuke mouse I used SOP Extra Lt. Peach. What a dream it is to work with! I'll get more of it for sure. I used it on the Berry Mouse for his tummy and nose too.

.:**:.
Old 2010-12-06, 2:29pm
Katherine

Your mice are just adorable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-06, 2:34pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Katherine. Your magnetic Badge Holders are beautiful (on your Etsy site). What a great idea! Post some here when you make them. They should be in hospital gift shops all over the country!
Old 2010-12-06, 5:35pm

I just have to say once again how impressed I am with the customer service. I order, even on the weekends) and it goes from Washington to Ohio in two days. Just unbelievable lol! My pixie dust came and my picks, cant wait to try these out. Unless we get snowed in it will probably have to wait until Friday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-12-07, 5:42am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Sonja, I have the same experience each time... I just got another shipment yesterday and I can't wait to play.

These Pixie Dust beads came from color tests I was doing, so I strung them when I was done. They are much prettier in person, so hard to get what they really look like on film. The colors next to each other make me want to explore more!

Old 2010-12-07, 11:43am
StudioMarcy

kristina, do you have any particular favorites of pixie and a color glass?

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-07, 12:01pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
kristina, do you have any particular favorites of pixie and a color glass?
Yes, I like the Light Green Mother-of-Pearl best for a beautiful pearl-escent gloss on any color of glass - Opaque, SOP or Transparent.

The SOP White takes up the Pixie Dust beautifully since it's so soft, so if you want a white or a soft glass for the dark (Copper and Bronze) Pixie Dusts, use it because it takes their color when you use it.

This is a detail of the necklace without lighting adjustment, to see the colors and coverage a little better.

Old 2010-12-07, 1:09pm

Those are really pretty! Have a list of pixie dusts that I am going to buy on payday!
Thanks for posting!
Old 2010-12-07, 1:12pm
Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Thank you Katherine. Your magnetic Badge Holders are beautiful (on your Etsy site). What a great idea! Post some here when you make them. They should be in hospital gift shops all over the country!
Kristina, Thank you for your kind words.

Old 2010-12-07, 1:15pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

You bet! Count us as family on this thread!
Old 2010-12-08, 11:47am

These are some necklaces that are going under the Christmas trees of various friends. It's nice to see people posting their work again, great job everyone.
The first necklace is garnets, and chech fire polished beads.

These beads were a stinker to make, but I sure love the way they turned out.

I'll be darned if I can remember the name of the semi precious stones I used in this but they're a very organic green and matched the bead perfectly.
I have the start of a necklace.....lots more work to do however....ugh.

I call this my little bit of everything necklace and I've worn it for a while now. When people ask what lampworking is, and ask what kind of beads I make, I can show them a bit of everything. It's a good example of the many different kinds of glasses, beads, techniques and all that goes into the art.
I was just asked to put my work into another shop, and have been busy stringing, and that is the main reason for not posting more. I have my hands full these days staying on top of everything that needs to be done. So, sorry to be a thread hog, it's just that I rarely have time to show any of my work.
Old 2010-12-08, 12:13pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Gosh Holly, be a Thread Hog anytime! Your work has just flourished - it's so beautiful. Please post more as you complete it. It's inspiring.
Old 2010-12-08, 2:39pm
BabblingBeads

I have a backorder for this glass. Will you be sending them out soon?
Old 2010-12-08, 2:47pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Jill, I didn't know they took back-orders. How did you do it?
Old 2010-12-08, 2:57pm
StudioMarcy

wow that jewelry is pretty.

Yesterday I tried using some dark ivory stringers without testing them first. I was making some camels and they came out much much darker than expected and also kept devitrifying on me. Has anyone else used the dark ivory? Any tips? I tried different amounts of oxy and propane and heating, but couldn't seem to keep it off.

And I have to say, I love the white. It sure is yummy to work with.

Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-08, 3:04pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Which white Marcy? I love the SOP White, and I just got the D83-Semi-Opaque Moonstone White and it goes from a transparent to a lovely solid white on me. Both are really nice in the flame. The opaque white doesn't like me for some reason...
Old 2010-12-08, 3:05pm
StudioMarcy

i think it's the opaque white that I like. I had a smallish rod of it and it was sweet.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-08, 5:35pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Isn't it interesting how differently the glass works for different torches and people... it goes stiff and matt on me... yet the SOP whites are like butter for me and I can do anything with them!

I find I do best when I test and then use each one according to how it performs for me.
Old 2010-12-08, 5:41pm
StudioMarcy

Kristina, I just tried a fatter rod of opaque white (without proper preheating) and it did look like fireworks all over my table.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-08, 7:42pm
<I really do inks!

It's official, my brain has left on a sled for the north pole. I swear I added a post here the other day, but I don't see it - pardon if you do!

I can't tell you how embarrassing it is to post with you incredible artist. Holly the way you put your beads together is pure genius! I was going to ask about this, I have always done pretty eclectic design with my clay beads, but i don't think the glass will work the same, so how do you plan your designs? Is it okay to put odd/same color group beads together, if you use smaller like spacers? I know anything is okay, but somethings must work better!

So what do I do about a sister who is allergic to all metals except gold? lucky for her aye

These are my latest beads with the Devardi, which I love now that my rods are smaller. The ones that are odd shaped have been smushed because of falling off the mandrel, but I like them. (I bought some of the release from Devardi-"easy bead off", so it works much better than the pink stuff that came with my Fireworks kit.

The individual is one of my favorite colors Natasha sent me... I think it's cranberry, but I could be wrong. It has a bit of coral inside too.

No laughing now!

Imagination is a powerful thing!
Thanks in advance! Beth

Old 2010-12-08, 7:54pm
StudioMarcy

Aw, look at you go! what gorgeous colors and fun you have there. I can see that you're mixing textures, colors and are enjoying it. Keep going, you're doing great.

As for the sister who is allergic...sometimes people do small beads on silk string and knot in between beads and then you just need to do a clasp or she can tie it. there are all kinds of creative ways of dealing with the allergies, without breaking the bank.

Keep posting more, please. I love seeing what you're doing.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-09, 5:49am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewschott View Post
so how do you plan your designs? Is it okay to put odd/same color group beads together, if you use smaller like spacers? I know anything is okay, but somethings must work better!

So what do I do about a sister who is allergic to all metals except gold? lucky for her aye

Congrats on your artistic work! As you put things together and look at designs you will find what appeals to you. Everyone develops their own style over time. I would encourage you to look at beaded jewelry books and see what you like, and then do similar combinations. I like to go to the Bookstore and look through magazines and books over tea or coffee. Do you have a big bookstore there?

For your sister, there are gold-plated findings online and at Michaels and AC Moore (like the Lobster Claw clasp, or Toggle closure). If I were you, I would make her a necklace or bracelet using only glass beads and glass spacer beads, with the gold plate closure.

Hope that helps! Please keep posting so we can share you successes and trials - it sure makes the journey more fun! Remember that all of us started at the beginning when you get frustrated!
Old 2010-12-09, 6:31am
Hot Glass Neophyte

This morning I have a little bird on a branch. I used the 96 frit twistie with Army Green for the branch vine, and my favorite SOP Lt. Baby Blue for the base of the bird, and the Moonstone White I just got for his chest. It's so soft and nice to work with.

The Christmas bead is of opaque Lime Green. It always gets huffy and goes stiff and matt on me - it just doesn't like my torch or what I do with it I guess, but I love the color. So this time I pushed it to get it into a round, and then encased it with D34-Transparent Light Marine Green and got a pretty effect.

I love the Goldstone rod encased and pulled into a stringer. I used to use the chunks of Goldstone (adventurine) and this is so much easier.

.•:**:•.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-12-09 at 7:22am.
Old 2010-12-09, 7:18am
BabblingBeads

ABR had it on their Website. I had to order a filter for my oxycon and ordered some then. That was about 4 weeks ago.

Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Jill, I didn't know they took back-orders. How did you do it?
Old 2010-12-09, 7:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabblingBeads View Post
ABR had it on their Website. I had to order a filter for my oxycon and ordered some then. That was about 4 weeks ago.

Jill
Oh, that's right! We can get Devardi glass from two sites now! They must have been waiting for their shipment to arrive!

Well, welcome and enjoy posting... I look forward to what you do with it!
Old 2010-12-09, 7:28am
Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewschott View Post

I have seen some gorgeous necklaces here on LE made using silk cords and also leather cords with no metal at all.

Also, just a wild thought that may or may not work for your sister. I have crocheted many wire necklaces using wire that is coated with something that makes it non-tarnishing. The wire name is 'Artistic Wire'. I am just wondering if that wire would work for your sister. If so, they also make gauges that you can make the clasps out of. You can buy the wire at many bead stores and in the past I have seen it on e-bay. If you want to peek at how the wire can look I posted the first snowman I ever made that is hanging on a crochet wire cord I crocheted using this coated wire. It is in the 'Tut' thread here on LE.

Old 2010-12-09, 8:51am

There is a huge amount of stringing material out there that doesn't involve any kind of metal at all. Leather, silk cord, suede, thread, nylon thread, all kinds of things. Do a search under stringing material jewelry supplies on google and you will be able to find plenty of things to use that don't involve metal of any kind.

As far as design goes, it really is a matter of personal preference, I tend to mix my lampwork with bead caps, metal, and crystals but that's just me. I also do mix some of my pieces with beading (seed beads). Play with it, have fun and you tube is a also a great place to check out free video how to's on making jewelry.

Old 2010-12-10, 6:17am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Morning everyone, I have two failed attempts at making brass frit bubbles... they keep coming out dirty on me, but I am on a Hothead, so I know heat is a factor. I will try again with smaller beads I guess, but the frog's bead is a dime size, so I'm not sure what else to do... any ideas?

.•:**:•.
A cat-tale... "I can't believe I ate the WHOLE thing!"

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-12-10 at 6:29am.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi