No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-07-26, 7:04am
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
Thanks for the pics, Beckah.
You're welcome. I saw the Scorpion hints the other day and drove the 6 hours specifically to see it. I took the photos with my old pocket camera which isn't very good to remind me later as I debate the purchase.

Personally my biggest question is still whether or not the Scorpion would give me more performance over the Cricket if I'm just running it on a 1/4 PSI of natural gas. I know I'm not getting everything I can get from the Cricket by running it on my low fuel pressures. I know if I switched to propane that I'd get way more performance from the Scorpion over my little Cricket. So I am debating the Scorpion and switching out my fuel to propane when I want to do boro and using the Scorpion at a 1/4 NG when I want to do soft glass. But I am curious how the Scorpion performs on 1/4 NG.

Hey Kimberly, maybe you could talk the GTT guys into sending me one of the used Gathering Scorpions to test on 1/4 NG with the Regalia. I could compare it to the Cricket for you. Just a thought I'll take photos with my better camera.

But for those of you with propane, I could not see any difference in performance or flame between the one Scorpion running on the Regalia (at 10) and propane vs the other three that were running on tanked oxy and propane. The Scorpions on propane were much faster and hotter than the little Cricket on propane on the other side of the table.

Hopefully, some of the people that are more experienced than I with larger torches will give a review when they get back from the Gathering that ends today. It was definitely one of the most popular spots in the Open Torch room.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2009-07-26, 8:23am
Butterfly Rancher

I was just glancing back through my linked photos and saw this one. The closest torch is the Scorpion. The torches across the table, if I remember correctly, are the Cricket and the Bobcat. The Cricket being the one with the bead in the flame.

Old 2009-07-26, 9:19am
Does that shed?

I"m having a serious case of torch envy

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!
Old 2009-07-26, 6:29pm
I need more boro stuff

My concern with scorpion is not the propane or NG (I'm using propane atm) but I'm worry that I need to get another oxycon. I'm using 8lpm 20psi oxycon atm and mostly I only dial it to 7lpm.

Do I need another oxycon, Kim?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-26, 9:27pm
PyronamixK

The Scorpion did really well on 8 LPM when we tested it here and when it was run on an EX-15 at the Gathering.
Old 2009-07-27, 4:56am

Just got up and have the "morning after the Gathering blues", however one REALLY great memory is working on the Scorpion on thursday evening at open torch! It is one fantastic torch and for the way I work and what I need, I think it will be PERFECT!!!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-07-27, 10:29am

Kim, how would you compare this torch's flame to a Cheetah? Someone posted that they thought this was a step up, or maybe two, from a Bobcat and I'm hoping it's a few steps up from the Bobcat for melting boro. I'm using a Bobcat with two Ex-15's and it's still a little slow when I'm doing boro work.
I'm trying to decide whether this torch or a Cheetah would be a better choice and I'm still kind of in the dark about how to make this decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pam, you've used both. Any thoughts?

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2009-07-27, 2:32pm

Well, Angela, since I only worked once on the Scorpion, I hate to say it, but I really, really loved it. One reason is that it has that Cricket center fire, so I can work small when I want or large (larger than the Cheetah) when I want. I love having choices!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-07-27, 4:03pm

Thanks Pam. I think you've convinced me to go with the Scorpion.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2009-07-27, 11:06pm
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Well, Angela, since I only worked once on the Scorpion, I hate to say it, but I really, really loved it. One reason is that it has that Cricket center fire, so I can work small when I want or large (larger than the Cheetah) when I want. I love having choices!
Pam,

Once you get your Scorpion and have some time under your belt I would like to know what you think of that vs, the Cheetah. I just bought a Cheetah used and also have a Cricket. I am using the Cricket for smaller work that I find the Cheetah too hot for, but love the different flame characteristics that I can get with the Cheetah. I was thinking more along the line of the Phantom or Mirage in the future, but would really like to hear what you think of the Scorpion.

Old 2009-07-28, 4:39am

I'll be happy to do that, Dave, but I imagine Kimberly will be able to give you great info a lot sooner than me. Here is my reasoning at this point: If you have unlimited oxy supply, then I would definitely go with the larger Phantom or Mirage, but if you have a limited oxy supply, as I do, then the Scorpion seems to hit the perfect spot.

I can't wait to be able to give you the "real" scoop, but believe me, I wouldn't have ordered one if and spent that additional $650 if I hadn't thought it would make a significant improvement in my torching experience.

My Blog
Old 2009-07-28, 5:02am
Mad about Glass

My question is: How good is the performance using ng at normal household pressure? I have used a minor, mega minor and midrange on ng & 8lpm oxycon but the performance is well below the performance when using propane. I prefer ng and would love a Scorpion if I can use it for boro with ng.
I currently use my midrange with ng & 8lpm oxycon for small boro work but is slow!!!

Jenn

[url]

Last edited by Ekkie; 2009-07-28 at 5:04am. Reason: spelling typo
Old 2009-07-28, 9:20am
Butterfly Rancher

I'm on the verge of ordering the Scorpion. If I do, I'll be sure and post how it runs on household NG. But I'm also planning to do quick connects so that I can cycle in propane for boro and use the NG for soft work. When I do boro, my Cricket already uses all the NG I can give it and I have lots more oxy that I could use. So it'll be interesting to cycle in the Scorpion. There's like to be a standard purple Cricket for sale soon

Old 2009-07-28, 2:35pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkie View Post
My question is: How good is the performance using ng at normal household pressure? I have used a minor, mega minor and midrange on ng & 8lpm oxycon but the performance is well below the performance when using propane. I prefer ng and would love a Scorpion if I can use it for boro with ng.
I currently use my midrange with ng & 8lpm oxycon for small boro work but is slow!!!

Jenn
Jenn, let me know if you are planning to order 1 I might want 1 as well

Old 2009-07-30, 12:54am

Hi Jenn & Yunita,

Please let me know if you're going to place an order together - I'd be interested too, though I guess we'd go well over the duty limit for imports

Cheers,
Marianne.
Old 2009-07-30, 1:25am
I need more boro stuff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallerygal View Post
Hi Jenn & Yunita,

Please let me know if you're going to place an order together - I'd be interested too, though I guess we'd go well over the duty limit for imports

Cheers,
Marianne.
Someone pointed it out to me as well, even with 2 torches ship together I will have to pay import tax

Old 2009-07-30, 8:07am

I just called. Seems like they are taking pre orders before building them. They expect to ship September but probably October. Guess it was smart so they could judge demand, but I really wish they had made a large quantity of stock for the release.
Old 2009-07-30, 8:40am
I fart diamonds

Just ordered mine!!!

Old 2009-07-30, 9:28am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by divelement View Post
I just called. Seems like they are taking pre orders before building them. They expect to ship September but probably October. Guess it was smart so they could judge demand, but I really wish they had made a large quantity of stock for the release.
They are putting people on the waiting list for the Scorpions. They are not building the torches based on demand.

The run was already planned out and the parts have already been made. The next step is to assemble them, but that has to be fit in with the production of other torches, as well.

The Gathering is the one show each year where there is an Open Torch event. This is where people can take torches for test drives. GTT wanted to have some Scorpions available there for people to look at and actually use. That way, whenever the production run is ready, people can buy knowing what the torch can do, either based on their experience or the experience of someone they know who has run it, and NOT based soley on what GTT says the torch can do.

The Gathering is kind of like an auto show. The manufacturers can show their latest inventions and innovations, but it might be a little while before they hit the street.

The parts for the Scorpion were ready before the Gathering, but GTT had to race to get six of them built for the Gathering. I received a prototype to test out just a couple of days before I had to leave for the show. The six torches that were to be on the GTT table were ready after we left for Miami and they had to be shipped to the hotel for the show. They did this because they did not want to miss the opportunity to let people see them in person and run them at Open Torch.

Even if they had missed the show and no one knew about them, the Scorpions would have been made just as planned.
Old 2009-07-30, 10:20am

Ok, so maybe it wasnt that they were smart. . In the end it should not hurt sales and it does appear to be a great little/big torch. It's just I would really love to have this torch by this weekend if not next weekend. I hate waiting for anything(though I wait till x-mas morning to open presents). We all love instant gratification is what I was trying to say.
Old 2009-07-30, 10:28am
In search of her path....

I really would love to get this torch I think it would be perfect for my needs but its gonna take alot of saving....but I think it would totally be worth it. We can get this in a basic 2 stud model right? and they also are offering a 4? what was the price difference between them?

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-07-30, 11:33am

currently same price for 2 stud versus 4 stud. I have placed my order for the 4 stud standard color. Damn September and October are far away....
Old 2009-07-30, 11:38am
PyronamixK

Well, gee, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it and you would not know what you were missing. Of course, then the people who would buy something else not knowing that something better is on the way would be upset.

Can't win for losing, I guess.
Old 2009-07-30, 11:40am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Well, gee, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it and you would not know what you were missing. Of course, then the people who would buy something else not knowing that something better is on the way would be upset.

Can't win for losing, I guess.
Isn't that how it always is?

Old 2009-07-30, 11:43am

No, Glad to have found about it. I was trying to buy a used Phantom and not having much luck. As I was wanting to run of 2 OXY cons, this fits perfectly. So we are all winners and often whiners.
Old 2009-07-30, 11:49am

Uh, Kimberly, please remind Willy that I LICKED the red/purple one so he doesn't sell it to someone else! Yes, you read that right, LICKED!!! Love that torch and thanks so much for bringing them to the Gathering and letting us play, and dream! Of course I did wonder why you all slipped away in the middle of the night, but just figured it was because of the harassment you received from me and others - okay, mainly me! - that wanted to skip town with those torches!!

Give Willy and Wally a hug for me.

My Blog
Old 2009-07-30, 8:09pm
PyronamixK

Pam, you are too much! I you! If it were up to me, you would have gone home with that Scorpion.

Hey, guys, will you do me a huge favor? Wally (my BIL, not Willy, my DH) said that he didn't think that I ever did anything to help GTT (all the shows for the past five years, all the testing I did, and everything I've ever posted about GTT means nothing to Wally - to him, I have done nothing helpful, nothing at all). When you email GTT and ask about the Scorpion or order one, could you please let them know that you heard about it from me, Kimberly. I would really, really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Edited for clarification: Wally did not tell me to my face that he didn't think I was helping GTT, he told my husband, "I didn't know she was still helping us." When my husband told me this, I was insulted and hurt because not a week before, I was at the Gathering working at the GTT booth (without pay), had helped test the Scorpion before going down there, and had been helping with some customer service issues (missed emails and miscommunications) that very week. I had also been referring many, many Cricket orders to them and had been helping with technical and customer service issues on the forums (like the GTT - Very Disappointed thread in the Customer Service kiosk, the largest thread ever in that subforum). I had been doing all of these things to help and never received a single word of thanks from Wally for any of it.

So, my saying " Wally said that he didn't think that I ever did anything to help GTT" was worded poorly and is not exactly accurate. I should also point out that the comments in parentheses were my editorial. I thought that was understood, but obviously not.

Anyway, it was never my intention to "smear" Wally by bringing any of this up. I was incredibly frustrated and hurt and really hoped that if he received enough emails referencing me in regards to something positive, he would wake up to the fact that I really do help GTT a lot and would start appreciating me.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2009-09-07 at 5:29pm.
Old 2009-07-30, 8:33pm

Kimberly, I can't believe he said that. You are their best (really only) PR and Tech Support asset. Let's face it, they build great torches, but their reputation is that they are slow to get torches out and often underestimate shipping time frames. When people look for used torches and pay close to retail for them because they know that it may be months after the date that they are quoted by GTTbefore they really ship there is a big problem.

Anyway, I would bet that 70% to 80% of Cricket sales and probably half or more of the first Scorpion sales can be traced directly to your posting on the forums.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-07-31, 12:55am
PyronamixK

Thank you, Paul. That was very kind of you to say.
Old 2009-07-31, 4:24am

Kimberly, as far as I am concerned, you are the online face of GTT. Willy is the face at shows, but that is the only time the online community hears directly from GTT, except for you. Without your great information and help GTT would not be looked at in the same light they are now. You are the greatest asset to the company, aside from the torches themselves, but without your help, explanations and how-tos, the company would be inundated with customer service issues and probably many would forego getting one of these great torches because of delivery issues. You are their face here on the online community, and an excellent one at that.

My Blog