Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-02-21, 5:40pm

Default propane vs natural gas

Hi!

I have a current gas line in my new house's laundry room- It will be my studio when I convert it. I also have a propane tank- which do you prefer and why?

Are there limitations as to what you can do with one or the other?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-21, 6:08pm
PyronamixK

Propane is hotter.

Natural gas is cleaner when running it through a standard torch. A triple mix combusts propane so completely, that it can be just as clean, though.

Propane sinks while NG rises. This makes it more suitable for certain safety considerations (e.g. a basement studio).

Propane is portable, if you are using a BBQ tank.

With propane, you won't have pressure restrictions that limit which torches you can run. Yes, you can have your household pressure boosted, but that can be opening up a whole 'nother can of worms.
Old 2006-02-21, 6:37pm
boro color bender

If you are doing smaller beads, look into a Betta. It is designed to run on household NG pressure. No need for a booster. It will work both soft glass and boro. The flame size is small, so it's not for big stuff. If you let us know what you are planning on making, it would help with sugesting the right torch for your needs.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-02-21, 7:01pm

I have both. I have also used both on a Bobcat and a Barracuda.
The bobcat handles it fine with no booster. The Barracuda does also in my opinion but others have disagreed. But it melts my boro just fine so...
The NG is cleaner and I like it. People say it is cooler but it took me quite a while to not scorch soft glass at what seemed the same size flame I was used to with propane. I like the ease of the NG and now that I have gotten used to it I am hooked. I have used propane at other shops on there torches since my NG hook up and I am still very pleased with the NG.

Need custom made price tags? Check out my friend
! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2006-02-21, 9:51pm

Thanks all! Right now I am on a minor and I just bought it about a week ago. So no new torches in my immediate future. I plan now on doing Moretti. I would someday like to do boro again. If I can remember how!

So if I have both Propane and natural gas available would it hurt my hoses or my torch to use both at different times depending on what I am doing- ya know just switching it over if I need to?

Old 2006-02-21, 9:56pm
PyronamixK

No, it won't hurt.
Old 2006-02-22, 7:50am
Button Queen

I have a Minor. I started out using a propane tank (I was working outside). I moved inside when we finally got my studio set up, it has a NG line. I didn't see a huge difference, just a tad "cooler" perhaps. And I don't have a booster or anything - just running off the regular household pressure.

Barbara
Old 2006-02-22, 7:57am
Crispy Critter

I have NG and work in my laundry room, too. I LOVE the convenience and feel a lot safer. And I didn't have to boost the pressure to run my Minor.

Old 2006-02-22, 8:00am
Ad astra per aspera

I use NG and an oxy generator for my Midrange Plus. It's wonderful....plenty hot, very clean and safe, and ALWAYS available.

Old 2006-02-22, 8:29am
lov'in life!!!

I run a Barracuda off of natural gas with two oxycon's and I LOVE it. I did have the gas company come out and put a 2lb. meter on my gas line and then I had to purchase a contraption that took all of my household appliances back down to 1/4 lb. The total cost to me was $65.00 so it was totally worth it. BUT, it does limit it somewhat torch wise. My Cuda doesn't run as hot as it can but it's hot enough for me and works fine. I just didn't want the mess of having to refill propane tanks and IF I ever DO want the heat, I can always go that route. The only reason that I would need it hotter is if I move completely over to boro. For now, it's just fine. Good luck on whatever you decide

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".