Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2016-12-31, 7:36am

Default Studio Set Up Design

Ok I could use some Advice, perhaps a lengthy post ahead regarding layout and safety. My plan is to devote part of my garage to lamp working. I currently use said garage to make Custom Fountain Pens. Recently though I have been planning to build a few pieces of furniture in there so I have basically gutted it down to the first illustration. This should give an idea of the space I have to work with. Its roughly 14'x20' with 12' ceilings. With a normal pitch roof over the garage, however I do have a small amount of storage space over the garage, and small attic if you will.

Concerns I Have: Sawdust...as in keeping my glass work clean. I imagine this is going to be hard. I don't have a current dust collection system in place, however I do have two Air cleaners Hanging from the Ceiling so should be able to turn them on prior to glass working and let them do their thing, I hope.

Gas Safety: I have Natural Gas but only for our gas logs. Its a 2lb system. My garage is about 50' from the gas meter, and I can pipe it myself if you guys think its worth it. Starting out with a Bethlehem Alpha, and I know they like the natural gas set up okay, so Its being considered. Otherwise, as illustrated, Im planing on piping in my oxygen and propane from out back. If I move my torch to the back wall, These would be runs of just a couple feet on the gas lines. Shut off valves outside, and just inside the wall. If I torch on the back wall though, I don't like the Idea of it being so close to the door that goes into the house.

Ventilation: So Im considering setting one of these air cleaners directly on my glass table, fabricating a hood or funnel that pulls directly into the air cleaner. and then venting that. Question: I won't be torching every day...Could I just run a 6-8" flex duct line out the large garage door, on the ground, and perhaps around the corner away from my garage as a "temporary" set up? Just connect it up on days I plan to torch? I imagine not as this large open door will be my only fresh air source? I have no back door in the garage or window. My Second option, is hard piping it up and out through a wall penetration, but still keeping my air cleaner on the bench. Third option would be to torch on the back wall, and create a hood system and take it straight up through the roof. I do have storage above the garage, I know not to vent into that, I would go all the way through the roof, all work i can do myself.

Looking at this layout, where would you work? Sort of thinking it will be easier to supply and vent gas if I work on the rear bench close to the house entrance door, and wood work closer the the large open garage door. I figure I can blow saw dust out the large door easier and keep it off my glass work? I want to be as safe as possible, and just looking for some input on how more experienced people would set up shop. Sorry Its so lengthy, I talk a lot!

You guys think these air cleaners are the ticket? I already have two, and they are basically the same fans most people I see here are using, except they are in a fancy box, and have filters on them. Their specs are as follows:

WoodRiverŽ Model TA25-1 generates up to 1,044 CFM and has three speeds: 556, 702 and 1,044 CFM. At high speed, the TA25-1 can filter the air in a 20' x 20' x 8' shop over 15 times in less than an hour. The replaceable outer filter will filter down to 5-micron particulate while the inner pocket filter will filter down to 1-micron particulate. With a programmable timer, you can set the timer for one, two or four hours, and the air cleaner will automatically shut off after the selected time has elapsed. These units are designed to be set on a workbench or hung from the ceiling. Includes: Remote Control and Hardware for ceiling mount applications.

Specs:

Motor: 1/5 HP, 1 Ph, 115-Volt Motor

Speeds: 556 CFM, 702 CFM, 1,044 CFM; Sound Level: 62dB/67dB/69dB

Unit Weight: 55 lbs.; Unit Dimensions: 26" x 19-1/4" x 15"

Filtration: 5-micron outer filter /1-micron inner filter

Built-in timer with 1-, 2- and 4-hour settings and a 1-year warranty

Thanks In advance for anyones time that takes the time to read all that!

Justin M. Baker
Attached Images

Old 2016-12-31, 7:55am
Loving learning

My brain won't hold still long enough to study all the questions, but would it be a possibility to move the pegboard to the inner wall, and the stuff on the inner wall to the outside?
Old 2016-12-31, 8:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
My brain won't hold still long enough to study all the questions, but would it be a possibility to move the pegboard to the inner wall, and the stuff on the inner wall to the outside?
Anything Is possible, but that wall has no power at the moment, and was an unfinished wall in my garage that I have been insulating and finishing of with burnt pine 1x6 boards. I would prefer to work elsewhere if possible.
Old 2016-12-31, 9:44am

I'm no help on the ventilation question...just wondering If your garage is attached to your house, you may have problems with your insurance coverage. The picture appears they are attached?

Last edited by beadmama; 2017-01-07 at 4:08pm.
Old 2017-01-04, 10:12pm
Phill

I would like the torch bench on the back wall near the door into the house.

I think you should vent it through the roof and bring in your make up air through the wall right at your bench level.

That will give you the chance to have conditioned air in the work area ( heated or cooled ) and minimize how much conditioned air goes out the vent system.

As for the dust control those room air filters will do a lot to reduce the "fog" of particles wood working power tools create but you are still going to be breathing that stuff in while you wait for the room filters to catch up.

The better bet is to over size a vacuum system to the power tools and put the blower system out side in a shed if you can.

I would not concern myself over much about dust on your glass.
Enclose you glass storage with plastic sheeting if you feel the need but simply dusting your glass before starting should be good enough.
Wood dust burns around 450 degrees and glass doesn't begin to melt until you get to 1300 at least.

The smutz you want to be concerned with glass is oil from manufacturing and finger prints and such and the normal cleaning you should do with lampwork glass will take care of that.

Insurance might well be an issue but as it is an attached garage already with lawn mowers and gas cans and other normal stuff is shouldn't be a real problem.

A lampwork torch is not any more dangerous than a stove cooking pasta or a wood burning fireplace as long as normal precautions are taken.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2017-01-04 at 10:28pm.
Old 2017-01-05, 10:34am

What Phill said, but is there any way you can throw a light sheet of plastic over the glass station when you're working in the wood shop? Also, any way you can take that vent from the glass station out the side of the garage. Taking it up through the roof always makes me nervous about improper sealing and having a roof leak. Not so important when you go through the side.
Old 2017-01-05, 2:28pm
Phill

Also just so you know, you want at lest ten feet between the end of the exhaust and the place where your make up air comes in.

That way what you are venting doesn't wind up cycling back into the work area.
Old 2017-01-07, 10:03am
honorary bead lady

Agree with Phil, back wall opposite garage door. You could frame down the ceiling and put up 2-3 bypass closet doors across between the table and the glass bench or hang a dust curtain.

Wood dust on the floor does make it interesting when you drop a marble and it rolls across the floor!
And forget the dust control filter for the glass bench
Old 2017-01-07, 7:10pm

thanks everyone. Picked up tons of tools and supplies I will need yesterday. Have since decided I will be working on the back wall for sure, off of concentrators and propane piped in from outdoors. Hopefully the next update has work some space photos!
Old 2017-01-07, 7:37pm
Phill

You might want to either build a filter box for your oxygen concentrators or put them in the house and run a hose out to the torch bench.

Dust, especially very fine dust, is a potential contaminant for the micro pores of the zeolite granules that actually separate the nitrogen in the air from the oxygen in the air once the air is pressurized.

Replacing the zeolite sieve beds is spendy and a pain in the butt and it will only show up as a problem after slowly going to reduced oxygen output over time so the symptoms will become a slowly worsening major annoyance until you figure out what's wrong.

Honestly, you really can not build a filter box to put the oxycon in that will keep all the wood dust out unless you go for hospital clean filtering and that wont be cost effective.
Old 2017-01-08, 8:40am

Thanks phill with two L's. I have been thinking about how I would go about doing exactly that. I am thinking leaving them inside. Just need to
Figure out how to run my hose to it. Shouldn't be hard
Old 2017-01-29, 11:35am

I have 1/8 inch hardware screen on the outside of my exhaust exit and have to clean it off about once every 2 months from the lent from cleaning rags and various air born stuff. I'm thinking with saw dust in the air your 1 and 5 micron filters won't last long.
I would suggest a straight through exhaust fan, no filters.