Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-01-10, 4:35pm

Default Help setting up torch & AirSep AS-12 Oxy Generator

I have been lurking around here since I got hooked on lampworking at a class a couple of years ago. We learned on a HotHead and that's what I've been using since. About 6 months ago, I found this AirSep AS-12 oxygen generator on Craigslist for $100, so I scooped it up because I knew I would eventually have a Smith little torch for metal brazing and a dual fuel lampworking torch.

I bought a Minor from another LWE member and received it early this week, so I am trying to get my work area set up now. I've spent hours and hours searching the internet and this board for information and have answered almost all of my questions!

The generator came with an auxiliary receiving tank. I know I can run my oxy hose directly from the generator to my torch, but I can also hook the generator outlet to the tank, fill the tank and then pull the oxygen from there for more steady pressure.

My problem is that both of the outlets on the tank are female, and I don't know what kind of coupler to get to attach my hose to the tank. I'm attaching some pictures of it all. Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Jasmine

p.s. please ignore the cat who would not get out of the way of the picture and the cobwebs on the bottom of the unit...embarrassed, but not enough to go try to re-take the photos.
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-10, 6:22pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
The generator came with an auxiliary receiving tank. I know I can run my oxy hose directly from the generator to my torch, but I can also hook the generator outlet to the tank, fill the tank and then pull the oxygen from there for more steady pressure.
This statement confuses me because by appearance the oxygen generator and tank are integral to each other...

What is connected to tank "bung" on left hand side of tank?..

The middle picture appears to be just a tank drain valve... Tanks that contain compresses air/or oxygen can have a certain amount of condensation in them and it needs to be drained form time to tine....

Lower picture appears to be standard "quick-connect" and can be acquired most any where....

You may have to do some creative plumbing with the outlets on oxy/gen tank to get the to "connect" . Fortunately all the plumbing piping/and connections are standard plumbing parts (not the quick connects) do you can remove any coupling part that may not be "cooperating" and replace it with something else... Most of these part are available at any hardware of home improvement store.

THE final connection to get oxy/gen with or without holding tank is a "B" connector for OXYGEN.... Commonly found at welding supply or some hardware stores. It is a "5625 x 18UNF-RH" thread connector.

http://www.westernenterprises.com/en.../PDFS/wi14.pdf

It #32 on this catalog page....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-01-10 at 6:34pm.
Old 2008-01-10, 6:59pm

Dale,

Thanks for the reply. The generator is not integral to the tank. In fact, the tank doesn't usually come with that model. There is a male "B" fitting on the bottom left side of the generator that I can connect my torch's oxy hose right onto (That's what is connected now). Alternately, I can connect the generator to the tank via that darker green hose you see in the picture.

Okay, so the thing at the bottom is a drain for condensation and the outlet with the gauge on it is a quickconnect! I'll get the rest of the parts I need at the hardware store tomorrow. Thank you so much!

Jasmine
Old 2008-01-10, 8:08pm
DSDWC

Wow!! Did you get a deal!!

Old 2008-01-10, 8:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
No kidding! I had to drive almost 50 miles one way to get it, and the whole time I was in the car, I debated whether I should even waste my time. I figured surely this fella didn't have what I thought he had for only $100. Imagine my shock when I got there and found that he did indeed have it AND he used to maintain the lab equipment at UCLA so he had also completely overhauled it.

Last edited by RazzyJewels; 2008-01-10 at 8:54pm.
Old 2008-01-24, 10:50pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
Yeah, really! I paid $2400 for my machine about 4 years ago! Well mine is the high pressure model AS-12A, but yours was still pretty darn $$$!!

Did you get it figured out?? My set-up is with a little bitty portable tank. I probably should get the big tank like that.

BTW - if he really overhauled it like he said he did, then it will give you happiness for a long time. I have had 0 problems with mine, and all I do is clean the foam filter. I live in an extremely humid area, and there's has been no adverse effects on its performance.

Last edited by Lisi; 2008-01-24 at 10:53pm.