Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-01-05, 6:44am
Pyromaniac

Default Making cane by writing on a bubble?

A friend requested a name pendant for his daughter. I know a while back I read something someone had posted a mini tut with pictures on how to implode a bubble and end up with a name cane, but I can't for the life of me find it. I don't even remember if it was even here or was it on the melting pot, but I know many of our fine posters frequent both locales and can maybe help me out? I've tried the search in both places to no avail, I'm pretty sure it came up tangentially to something else and not as a main topic.

UNTIL NOW that is

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-01-05, 6:50am
Pyromaniac

Hmm. Tried a different different search ('signature cane') on the melting pot and found this:
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16710
but it's not the one I was thinking of. Nice that you don't have to write backwards on the bubble though, I'd forgotten that!

I'm still searching in vain for the post I was thinking of though... so any help is appreciated.

Old 2011-01-05, 1:01pm
Formerly Bakerman44

ive never heard of making signature cane. let us know what you come up with!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-05, 1:56pm

Thanks Chris I have looked at that thread on the melting pot several times but never took the time to read it, not much help for your project but post #23 with the ghost millie trick is something i can't wait to get home and try. I always have a tough time getting millies to snap even and thin. Good luck with your quest
Old 2011-01-05, 2:13pm
Does it come in Purple???

I took a class with Fat Mike from the GLDG and he made some name cane on a bubble - it was pretty cool. And it was exactly that. He wrote on the bubble, imploded it and pulled it out to a cane and snipped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2011-01-05, 3:21pm
No Problem!

If you just want to make a pendant with a name in it you can skip pulling it into cane and call it done.
Same thing as that tutorial minus pulling it into cane. Blow the bubble, write the name, then slowly melt it in, starting at the "front" of the bubble while holding it horizontal.
Melt from this O---- to this D----- and a little further before you punty onto the flat part and pull the tube off to finish rounding out the dome.
Flatten a little as you go to coax the implosion along and make sure to start out with enough tube to make a good sized bubble so there is enough clear glass.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2011-01-05, 3:35pm
Formerly Bakerman44

id love to make a milli of my avitar "JB"

Old 2011-01-05, 7:27pm
Pyromaniac

Beau don't you have to write the name backwards to do it that way or are you just lensing the back?

Old 2011-01-05, 9:22pm

I think maybe it was in "Flow" magazine. I remember seeing two different tut's for it. One was done by Nate who uses the "N8" as his signature. And the other was done with a honeycomb implosion which was pulled down into honecomb milli.

If I want to do a name for a pendant, I write it backwards on a bubble and implode. If it is a really short name, you can do it backwards on a regular maria. Regardless, I usually write the name on a piece of paper, flip it over, and then re-ink the lines from the back. I then tape it to the wall to the side of my torch. This keeps me from messing up a name when I reverse a letter the wrong way.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-01-06, 6:37am
Pyromaniac

Interesting idea Eric, thanks! Of course, being a nerd, I'd scan it, then use photoshop to flip it, and then print it out. I'm thinking "Leslie" isn't going to fit on a regular maria.

My initial idea was to do a milli implosion with multiple name chips, I thought that would be pretty cool. Second idea was to do maybe a heart or vortex pendant with a milli chip somewhere on the front or inside.

Old 2011-01-06, 1:57pm
ManBearPig

Nathan Miers did a tutorial on this. I'm pretty sure it was in Glass Line, because I have it somewhere and I don't buy the Flow.

But, for just a name, just do it on a bubble.

Old 2011-01-11, 2:34pm
product of the universe

maybe this will help it works the same way. http://www.glassartists.org/Gal20056...milli_demo.asp

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2011-01-12, 5:19am
boro color bender

Yep, the one you're thinking of is N8...

share pics when you're done...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-10-01, 7:40pm
is

Thought this could use a bump........ Going to give it a shot tomorrow. The picture tutorial worked real well, and also on glasspipes read a snippet that described the process with all the techy size numbers and stuff.

"make your own. take a piece of 38 mm tube or 50, blow it to a bubble, write your name but not backwards, decorate around the signature. implode it till a thick lens appears on the face of the implosion. Take a piece of piece of one inch rod and attach a three inch section to a piece of 12 mm rod for a handle. flatten the 25 a bit then attach it to the rear of the implosion. marver it in and remove the implosion from the tube. Once everything is nice and even add a rap of color over it using color rod of your choice. Have a matching 25 to 12 and after you clean the face up a bit add the the next piece of flattened. concentrate your heat one the whole thing making sure that it is all even. If need be marver it a bit but do not affect the shaping to much or it will distort. heat the middle the most then pull!! Make sure to pull it straight towards the floor. Should give you at least 8 to 9 inches of signature milli. peace"
Old 2011-10-02, 8:41am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If you're making millis then it doesen't matter if you write it frontwards or backwards. Just flip the milli over. Got to watch how the letters are formed if you do it backwards though.