Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-15, 10:13am
Growing Edge Glass

oh wow..that is so interesting...thanks for posting that Hayley!

I'll print these as well!

thanks again for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-11-15, 10:21am

Well, I guess you got it all anyway. Here is what James and Poot (Peter) say.

Def yes on being Chinese characters.
He says:
"She should call them Chinese characters or, Han4 Zi4 (汉字) The 4's at the end mean say them with a downward tone. Start high and end low, kind of like a small little yell, or an exclamation. like Han!Zi! "

Old 2011-11-15, 10:32am

More if you're interested. This is what some of Poot's email said.
I'm not actually sure what some of that means. All I know is he is from a small village in China and is James' go-to guy for this stuff if he can't figure it out.

"That 2,2 word is really all those words. If common speech it means life, in poetic speech it means fate or destiny. But probably fate is a tiny bit closer

3,2 is flower hua1花
3,4 is hero sort of ying1英
53 is upside down, it's star xing1星

44 means expensive in common speech, but in more poetic language it means like value, wouldn't really call it happiness. Gui4贵
Also 41 is probably used as grace poetically, but more commonly it means something like mercy, or caring a lot. 恩"

Old 2011-11-15, 10:37am
Growing Edge Glass

Okay..so these are considered Hanzi or Han Zi and not Kanji characters? Kanji characters are Japanese only.

I see that James and Poot () came up with slightly different translations.....I'll make a copy of your post too Rebecca!

This is really interesting to me and I appreciate your efforts and your son's efforts Rebecca..please tell them I said thank you!!

Yours/James' description on how to pronounce Han Zi....cracked me up somewhat. I'm still trying to pronounce HanZi while starting high and ending low...but I think I get it.

Thanks again!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-11-15, 10:41am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
More if you're interested. This is what some of Poot's email said.
I'm not actually sure what some of that means. All I know is he is from a small village in China and is James' go-to guy for this stuff if he can't figure it out.

"That 2,2 word is really all those words. If common speech it means life, in poetic speech it means fate or destiny. But probably fate is a tiny bit closer

3,2 is flower hua1花
3,4 is hero sort of ying1英
53 is upside down, it's star xing1星

44 means expensive in common speech, but in more poetic language it means like value, wouldn't really call it happiness. Gui4贵
Also 41 is probably used as grace poetically, but more commonly it means something like mercy, or caring a lot. 恩"

Wow...so like any language it all can depend on it's usage in a sentence or speech, so to speak. I'll have to print this post as well. I'm going to write each translation on each stamp..might not have enough room to list all variations..so will just keep my charts that you've all helped me fill in!

thanks again!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-11-15, 10:53am
da General

Mikelene, most Chinese characters are used in pairs for meanings in common speech and writing as well as in context with adjectives.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-11-15, 12:04pm

Hayley is SO right about that! Even changing the tone of a one syllable word can mean like 6 different things. One of James' freinds does this thing with the word that sounds like ma. Cracks me up every time she does it.
Here is more from Poot. I did tell them thank you. I think they have fun doing this.

From Peter-

"The word I said is hero, also had mad meaning. One phrase its used in is 英雄, which is hero, like that movie. But it also means a flower, extraordinary, a bunch of primitive meanings but that's not important, also it's the word for England, 英国. But in terms of being used for jewelry, it probably best means extraordinary."

Old 2011-11-15, 12:16pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Mikelene, most Chinese characters are used in pairs for meanings in common speech and writing as well as in context with adjectives.
Yes, I had noticed the usage of multiple characters. I guess like any language,you would learn how to construct a sentence by combining certain characters........ becoming familiar with each character takes practice and I'm sure there is also some element of 'slang' that can get incorporated into the language, just like with the english language. So words take on different meanings altogether. Like sick vs sick...

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-11-15, 12:25pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Hayley is SO right about that! Even changing the tone of a one syllable word can mean like 6 different things. One of James' freinds does this thing with the word that sounds like ma. Cracks me up every time she does it.
Here is more from Poot. I did tell them thank you. I think they have fun doing this.

From Peter-

"The word I said is hero, also had mad meaning. One phrase its used in is 英雄, which is hero, like that movie. But it also means a flower, extraordinary, a bunch of primitive meanings but that's not important, also it's the word for England, 英国. But in terms of being used for jewelry, it probably best means extraordinary."

Thank you for thanking the guys!!

So the character Hero can also be used(/combined) to mean mad, courage, flower, extraordinary and England. That last one throws me alittle....are you sure you didn't just throw that one in Rebecca?

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-11-15, 1:54pm

Not mad. He meant 'mad meanings' as in many meanings. Ya know, like mad skillz. Language.

Old 2011-11-15, 3:45pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Not mad. He meant 'mad meanings' as in many meanings. Ya know, like mad skillz. Language.
Suddenly....I'm feeling VERY 50 years old........

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-11-15, 4:45pm
da General

Yup, Mikelene, that character combined with the character for country makes is England. If you combine that with this character 英文, it means English.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-11-15, 5:12pm
Growing Edge Glass

And they say english is the hardest language to learn!

Or at least they used to say that.....

I do love the artistry in the kanji and han zi...so beautiful!

I think I'll have to find another kanji/han zi book.

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-11-15, 6:08pm

my little contribution to the word combination:
和平 - peace
平安 - safe
福星 - lucky star (usually commenting on a person)

Old 2011-11-16, 7:04am
Growing Edge Glass

Thank you nklt0!

-jewelry~~~
~~~