No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-15, 11:54am
Growing Edge Glass

Default Anyone read chinese symbols?

So...I bought these really cool letter press stamps on etsy to use on clays. I love the way they look...even though I don't know what the symbols mean.

Can anyone interpret these for me? They are sitting upright in the small box posted..and I am not sure if they are sideways or upside-down?

I'd appreciate any help!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-10-15, 12:51pm
ManBearPig

If you google Chinese kanji you will come up with many sources of info. However, there are like 6000+ kanji that are used regularly, so you may be at it a while.

Of course, you could just make up something and tell everyone that's what it means. Nobody will be the wiser. And, if you run across someone who knows and they say "No, this means ________", then you have your answer...

Old 2009-10-15, 12:54pm
N2Beadz

Well we have many Chinese places to eat around here where the workers speak both languages. I'd have lunch at one and just ask. I'm sure they would more more than willing to help out.

Old 2009-10-15, 1:52pm

Could you email me that picture? I'll send it to my son. He knows Japanese and his girlfreind is Chinese. rmcglynn01@gmail(dot)com (just leave out the parenthesis and use a regular . )

Old 2009-10-15, 2:56pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post
So...I bought these really cool letter press stamps on etsy to use on clays. I love the way they look...even though I don't know what the symbols mean.

Can anyone interpret these for me? They are sitting upright in the small box posted..and I am not sure if they are sideways or upside-down?

I'd appreciate any help!!

These are characters from classical Chinese - probably from printing prayer/chatting books for Buddhist monks.

Unfortunately as with most Chinese characters, they need to be used with other characters for various meanings. That also means that if you use more than one of them together, they won't mean anything.

I will try to decipher some for you . . . and put in T, B, R, L in () where the top of a character is so you can have them oriented properly. Example (T) means it's oriented properly in its mirror image, (R) for the first character means that its top is the right side, you need to rotate it counterclockwise 90 degrees.

First row from top to bottom:
(R) I or We (in classical Chinese, not used anymore)
(R) opposite, return
(L) quiet, still
(B) use
(B) –

Second row:
(B) –
(R) single, only
(T) thick
(T) name of an ancient feudal state
(R) wrong

third row:
(T) –
(T) –
(T) dragon (in classical Chinese)
(R) to harness (as in a horse)
(T) to

fourth row:
(B) –
(T) forehead (in classical Chinese)
(R) lack, incomplete
(L) sound
(L) choose

Half done .. . I will try to translate more for you later!

Unfortunately, the only way you can use this is each character by itself and not together...

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-10-15, 3:06pm
Disconnected

wow, I have my dose of fascination for the day, thank you Hayley

Old 2009-10-16, 6:04am
Growing Edge Glass

Wow...I love this forum..you guys are so amazing! Thanks for the responses...

Cosmo...I do have a book on kanji that I've had for a while, but felt in overwhelm looking for each symbol and I wanted to make sure that I knew what each symbol meant before using it/selling it.

Donia....I had that thought as well, to take them into my local chinese restaurant...and that would have been my next step...fortunately Hayley has come to my rescue!

Three Muses....thank you so much for the offer...I will send a copy to your email and appreciate your time/effort.

Hayley....I am so pleased that these stamps seem to have been used for prayer books/chatting books for Buddist Monks. Although since I love the artistry of these symbols...even stamps used for a restaurant (chicken w/brocolli...my favorite!) are beautiful...even though it would be hard to work that into the description of a design. Thank you so much for taking the time to decipher these and your coding of them as to their proper positions...you are amazing! I have read that combining symbols changes their meaning...but so far...I like what these symbols mean by themselves.

thanks again everyone....

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-10-16, 6:43am
Glass junkie

Hayley is just a wealth of information !
Old 2009-10-17, 7:41am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrewerx View Post
Hayley is just a wealth of information !
I know!! I am so thrilled to have her help...love this place!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-10-17, 10:46am
da General

You are welcome! I actually had to look up some of these!

Fifth row:
(B) -
(R) receive
(T) top (same as second character, seventh row)
(R) -
(L) ask

Sixth row
(T) Tang (dynasty)
(T) to
(R) -
(R) close
(R)

Seventh row
(T) -
(L) top
(L) -
(L) -
(T) cough

Last row
(R) -
(L) return
(R) set up
(L) forest

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-10-17, 11:07am
Growing Edge Glass

Hayley...you are amazing..thank you so much! I just finished marking the top of each stamp and wrote the translation on the side of each. I love what alot of these symbols mean and will be able to use them in some future work! I'm tossing around ideas of some little something to send to you to show my appreciation...are you still at your posted address in the RAOGK?

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-10-17, 11:20am
da General

Mikelene, it's my pleasure to help . . . you don't need to send me anything! I can't wait to see how you use the characters in your work!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-10-17, 11:23am
Growing Edge Glass

I will post some pics in this thread..once I use them in something...thank you so much, again, for helping me out!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-10-17, 6:25pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Hayley I already thought you were cool and everything, but now I think you're the coolest chick ever!! How awesome that you can read these symbols!!

Old 2009-10-18, 5:03am
Unmedicated since '62

i once bought a whole bunch of pendants in china with the same chinese symbol thinking is said love, when i got back i showed them to a chinese friend and she cracked up laughing and told me they all said "good luck in your career"

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-10-18, 5:40am
Growing Edge Glass

Deb...that's why I was afraid to use them without knowing what they meant...I was afraid I'd insult someone somehow!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-10-18, 5:44am
Growing Edge Glass

Okay Hayley......check your mailbox, sending you one of my favorite things as an extra thank you!

I'm in GA...so not sure how long priority mail takes to get to California...

Hope you like!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-10-18, 8:33pm

I just filled in some of the the blanks in Hayley's list.

a word combo you can use:
row 6 char 4 + row 4 char 4 = harmony/chorus.

meaning of the characters can change depends on other characters it placed with. So be careful.

First row from top to bottom:
(R) I or We (in classical Chinese, not used anymore)
(R) opposite, return
(L) quiet, still
(B) use - dispatch
(B) – damp/moist

Second row:
(B) – overal/head of
(R) single, only
(T) thick - in advance
(T) name of an ancient feudal state
(R) wrong

third row:
(T) – country side
(T) – secure/solid
(T) dragon (in classical Chinese) - mosquito
(R) to harness (as in a horse)
(T) to

fourth row:
(B) – pretty
(T) forehead (in classical Chinese)
(R) lack, incomplete
(L) sound
(L) choose

Fifth row:
(B) - to reside
(R) receive
(T) top (same as second character, seventh row)
(R) - going up stream/trace the source
(L) ask

Sixth row
(T) Tang (dynasty) - surname
(T) to
(R) - pause
(R) close - combine
(R) - number

Seventh row
(T) -
(L) top
(L) - mearly
(L) - petrol
(T) cough

Last row
(R) - district/city
(L) return
(R) set up
(L) forest

HTH

Cheers
Nancy

Old 2009-10-19, 4:57am
Growing Edge Glass

Nancy...thank you so much for the fill ins!!! I'm alittle afraid to combine the symbols for fear of saying something offensive...so I'll stick with individuals for now! Although I love harmony/chorus!!!

Thanks again for filling in the blanks! I'm off to write them on my stamps now!

-jewelry~~~
~~~

Last edited by Truewealth; 2009-10-19 at 5:07am.