AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-26, 1:04pm

Default Marver question: brass or graphite??!!

Hi, I just got word that my new Scorpion torch is about ready to ship (YAY!!!) and I want to order a new torch-top marver for it. I found some and they come in brass or graphite. My question to all you peeps who marver a lot is: should I get brass for its longevity or graphite for its color development possibilities? I know when I work the multicolor glass from Reichenbach on my graphite I get beautiful colors. Anybody know if I would lose that working on brass? Also does anybody know if one holds the heat better or differently? Any thoughts on one or the other??? Any comments much appreciated!
Thanks to all!!
Mary T.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-26, 1:11pm
He can do the origami

For general torch top marvering my preference is graphite. I do use brass for certain applications but most of my brass tools I am going to be coating with bees wax and would not have the time to do so on a constant basis for a torch top marver. Brass and graphite do hold heat and take heat from the glass at different rates. They each have characteristics that are useful for different applications.

Otter
Old 2010-01-26, 1:26pm

Thanks Otter!!! I'm leaning toward graphite and didn't think about bees wax! For those of you who use brass torchtop marvers (anybody?), is this an issue?? Any other comments? I love my graphite but am kind of rough on them. The only good thing is with the one I found, the graphite can be replaced!!
Thanks again!
Mary T.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-26, 1:26pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Hey Mary! Congrats on new torch, you'll have such fun!

As I understand it, brass tools are used to MOVE glass, while the glass slips and slides over the surface of graphite and SMOOTHES accordingly. I think it was the Stump class where we discussed that. I've used the torch-mounted graphite marver exclusively, but use brass tools when I'm shoving glass around (masterfully, haha).

Does that help? If not, perhaps a hug would, so considered yourself hugged girlfriend!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2010-01-26, 1:44pm
No Problem!

The only time I use brass marvers/shapers is when I want to scoot the surface glass around. Graphite is slippery (why powdered graphite is used as a dry lubricant), and won't put up much friction on the glass. Brass has a tacky feel to it. That's why the brass stump shaper is such a cool tool, you can push and pull glass around just by dragging it across the glass with light pressure.
As far as color reactions, there's been mention that the reaction is more significant with cold brass on raku type colors like iris-orange than with graphite but I can't say for sure.
Shani was telling me how colors were strking differently with some DH glass as her bead press got warmer from repeated use. Having duplicates (presses) would allow you to alternate to the cold tool if you felt it was worth it...
Chilling the surface of these colors with tools brings the temp way down momentarily in just the surface glass to a colder temp than you would want the whole bead to air-cool to, due to cracking concerns.. This super surface chill allows for a good reset of the color for a nice colorful strike.
For the torch top and everyday marver I choose graphite.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2010-01-26, 1:45pm
No Problem!

Lea was to the point while I rambled on...

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2010-01-26, 1:52pm
Happy Beadmaker!

LOL & spewing coffee, Beau...you're too cute.

~
~
~
Old 2010-01-26, 2:10pm

Thanks all! You've given me exactly the detailed and concise info I was looking for. I'm going with the graphite!!!
And hugs back at ya, Lea, bestest of friends!!!
Mary T.

Old 2010-01-26, 3:39pm
Lampworkaholic!

Graphite does not rob heat from a bead the way that brass does. Another vote for graphite (and I want a Scorpion so baaaad).

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-27, 10:37am

What is the bees wax on the brass for? I have a hand-held brass marver and as far as I know it's never seen any bees wax.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-01-27, 12:59pm
Will work for glass...

What Lea said! And since you've already made your decision, just an added sidenote: the temperature of your tools may be affecting your colors as well. I use brass tools when I want to cool something off quickly, because a cold brass tool takes longer to get hot when I'm marvering a bead than graphite does. The "raku" colors like Reichenbach Magic and Raku respond well to rapid heating and cooling cycles (when you cool the glass quickly after heating it to a molten state, it helps the raku colors bloom). So I use my brass tools a lot when I'm using raku.
Old 2010-01-27, 1:54pm

Thanks again all, and Alison, I agree on the brass for raku colors. I have the wonderful brass rolling marver by Scott Bouwens that I use for raku to make the colors pop!! I place it on a frozen gel pad so it stays cold while I'm heating the glass.
Elizabeth, I ordered my Scorpion right after last year's Gathering. I'm so excited (& nervous!!).
Mary T.

Old 2010-01-27, 7:44pm
No Problem!

Mary, the frozen gel pad is simple genius. I'd never think to bring one near the torch unless I was treating a burn.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2010-01-28, 12:21pm

Heh heh, Beau, I originally got the frozen gel pads for burns but didn't want to put my rolling marver in ice water so I got creative!!!
Mary T.

Old 2010-03-24, 10:53am
BaZinga!

So, does the brass stick to the glass if it's able to move it? Are you supposed to use some type of bead release with brass?

I've never used brass and only have graphite.

Genius Prayer: God, grant me the courage to change the things I cannot accept; serenity to accept the things I've changed, and the wisdom to know I'm different. -S. Pastis
Nortel Mid-Range, tanked O2 and propane, GlassHive kiln
Old 2010-03-24, 11:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare_Ale View Post
So, does the brass stick to the glass if it's able to move it? Are you supposed to use some type of bead release with brass?

I've never used brass and only have graphite.
Even polished smooth, brass has a little more 'tooth' to it than graphite, and as such, can 'push' the glass around better than graphite.

With all metal tools, you want the glass hot and the tool cold ... otherwise, the glass can stick to the metal tool.

One usually only uses bead release on mandrels.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-03-24, 5:26pm
BaZinga!

Thanks!

Genius Prayer: God, grant me the courage to change the things I cannot accept; serenity to accept the things I've changed, and the wisdom to know I'm different. -S. Pastis
Nortel Mid-Range, tanked O2 and propane, GlassHive kiln
Old 2010-03-25, 11:37am

Burning Brass makes a BEAUTIFUL torch mounted marver in brass that you can order an "optional" graphite insert for at a *really* reasonable price (just a few bucks extra) so you can "mix/match" for whatever you're doing that day....I've got it on my cricket--it was mom & dad's christmas gift to me this year (last year's birthday gift was the cricket itself!)..I love it & it sits *above* the torch, vs. "on" the torch, so it's adjustable no matter how you "point" your torch as well--which is another really nice feature!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-03-25, 2:38pm

I ended up with the graphite marver from Burning Brass (thank you Malcolm!!!) for my Scorpion and absolutely love it!!!
Mary T.