No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-20, 6:53am
Newb boro fanatic

Default Manual vs electric pedals

So I'm looking into getting a foot pedal for my Scorpion and future Phantom or Mirage, and I'm thinking the Griffin ones looks good (and GTT actually sell them, so I assume that's a pretty good sign). But there are two kinds, manual (the Rockit) and electric (Turboswitch), and I'm not sure which would be suitable.

I've heard of some 'manual' pedals which work by just squeezing a tube shut directly with the pedal, which was NOT recommended at all, so I'm curious as to whether the Rockit is different to that or not.

And I don't live in America, so if I got a Turboswitch I would have to get a new power supply I guess? Or does it plug directly into the mains with an internal power supply (instead of a 'wall wart')?

Would ether of these NOT be suitable for a Mirage? That's the biggest torch I'll likely be getting any time in the foreseeable future...

Thanks for any help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-20, 11:11am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Build your own and save a bundle.

There are several threads on <thegldg.com> marble forum on building one. Total cost for mine was about $50.00 USD for the GTT Mirage and about $85.00 USD for the 2 stage for the GTT Kabuki. Two solenoids, some brass fittings, a switch, and some wiring and it takes maybe 2 hours if you don't know what you're doing. I used 120 VAC solenoids but I know people who have used 12 VDC and 'wall wart' power supplies. Those make the wiring a little more complicated but work fine.

You are correct that squeezing off a tube for control is a disaster waiting to happen and mechanical controls are slower acting and much more expensive. True valved mechanical controls are complicated, tend to leak especially when worn and require diligent maintenance. If you aren't comfortable building one look into the ones made by smutboy who advertizes on The Marble Forum <thegldg.com>. They have a great reputation, are reasonably priced and work well but are 120 VAC which may be different in your area.

Thought; if your mains power is different you could get smutboy to supply the pedal minus the solenoids and then add your own compatable units. That would be super easy.

PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-01-20 at 11:14am.
Old 2011-01-20, 12:34pm

I've been using a Hotass Glass (Smutboy) pedal on my Phantom for several years and it's been great. The suggestion of getting the unit and adding your own 208V solenoids sounds good to me.

Robert
Old 2011-01-20, 4:32pm

I'm in Sydney and I went with a kavalier mechanical paddle. No need to worry about power supply, voltage difference or servicing. It is a bit slow in responding but I think it's more to do with my hose length than anything else.

With the current exchange rate and difficulty of acquiring parts locally I'm not sure making one to meet the Aus standard will be much cheaper.

I would suggest to check thegldg to see what people are saying about different paddles.

HTH
Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-21, 12:55am
Newb boro fanatic

I have looked into making my own electric one before, I might end up doing that... But I would have to order the parts from America I think, so could be a bit of a trick to get the right kind of solenoids... Maybe if Hotass Glass/smutboy custom makes them, he could just make one for me with Australian power solenoids!

I'll check out that forum too (why's it called the thegldg? shouldn't it be themp? lol), thanks for the help guys