LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-12, 11:19am

Smile rolling travel case for beads and jewelry?

Does anyone have one they love? There seem to be two kinds on the market. An aluminum and a soft sided. They both hold the standard trays. I can't decide.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:33am
sunscreen me baby

I have an aluminum one. It is nice to roll it but it's not the most stable thing. Plus, the first time I loaded it up my husband "helped" me by sticking in the back of my car. Laying down. As he did it he heard all the beads fall to that side of the case. It wasn't pretty. So now it gets seat belted into a seat like a person. It isn't ideal because it's hard for me to lift it up into the seat of an SUV. I've gone back to the carry bags that hold 10 trays each. They stack nicely on a hand truck and are easier for me to lift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-12, 11:43am

Did you cringe when you heard the beads fall? I think I will go with the soft sided case.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:47am
sunscreen me baby

I didn't hear them. I was told about it. Yah, it was one of those bite my tongue moments.

~

Old 2012-07-12, 2:36pm

Old 2012-07-12, 7:42pm

OMG! The sorting! t-h-e s-o-r-t-i-n-g.
Old 2012-07-13, 1:35am

I've got the soft side one. It's got the same problems as the aluminum case, a bit unstable on the go and the beads can fall out if the case got tilted.

HTH
Nancy

Old 2012-07-13, 6:10am
Peerless Thread Killer

I have the soft case, and had the same problem with beads falling out if the bag tipped. So, I cut pieces of bubble wrap the same size as the inside of the trays, and lay it on top of the beads and then stack the trays. No more beads falling out, ever.

Old 2012-07-13, 6:49am
Miss my BoBo Griff

I like the gamers cases the best. Like these http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...uestid=2700966 I have this one and the soft sided one similar to these (not what I have but close) http://www.figuresincomfort.net/
Here is a place that lists all kinds of places that carry these styles (they have them on roller things as well or you might just get the foam inserts and put them in the bags that the jewelry trays go in...
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Mo...tions#Feldherr
This is the other one I have http://www.portablewarfare.com/produ...hp#thesergeant

I got the idea for that first hard case from Jen Geldard.

Last edited by chrisann; 2012-07-13 at 7:09am.
Old 2012-07-15, 9:23am
sunscreen me baby

The nice thing about the Fire Mountain ones is not only are they cheap (I use 4 for my show inventory) but you can use the tray for your display making set up and packing go a lot faster.

I do the bubble pack thing too. It works pretty well.

Now if only I had a good flying system that was fast to pack and set up. Right now I have them in bubble zip locks in clear ziplock freezer bags so they can be easily inspected by security and in a carry on that tends to get gate checked. Opening and closing those sucker to set up and break down is a pita.

~

Old 2012-07-15, 1:13pm
Fire Monkey

I made my own gamer-type case. It's a thick layer of foam that I sliced long slits into and the beads tuck down into the slits. I can put a few on mandrels secured by tiny rubber o rings and tuck those down into the slits too. That way I can just pull them out and pop them into my display cases. I have 3-4 foam layers in a large sturdy men's shoe box wrapped with a huge rubber band. The whole thing fits into my large messenger bag to carry onto the plane. If security wants to look at them (they never have so far) I can just open the box and pop out the beads.
It's saved me loads of time. I used to individually wrap each bead in bubble wrap!

Old 2012-07-15, 1:34pm
sunscreen me baby

I have too many beads for your system Holly

~

Old 2012-07-15, 11:01pm
Fire Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I have too many beads for your system Holly
You sure do!
It's for the big focals mostly.

Old 2012-07-16, 10:35am

I was thinking about cutting sheet foam for the trays to keep them from knocking around but bubble wrap would be easier. Thanks for the tip. My case should be here tomorrow.